Crane Coal Cooker

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Fri. Nov. 08, 2013 5:51 am

Carbon12 wrote:$530.00!??! Holy Bat Guano Batman! If having one cast is only $150.00 how can they charge almost 4 times as much?!!?
you must have missed the key words.... these "theivin' scum bag pieces 0 Chit" :lol:

walter bolcon

Post by walter bolcon » Fri. Nov. 08, 2013 1:33 pm

dcrane wrote:
walter bolcon wrote:I have been looking for a replacement firebox for a Crane 404, which has a cast iron fire box. Can I replace this cast iron firebox with the older cast firebrick type? And, does anyone have an existing unit for sale? Thank you for any help that you can provide.
You can replace the cast firepot with a replacement from these "theivin' scum bag pieces 0 Chit" http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/169063/products/ ... repot.html
OR you search for a used 404 on creigs list locally OR you can take one of mine to a foundry and ask them to re-cast it (cost about $150).

You can indeed install a refractory liner... my good friend Beamerboy did exactly that here... Post by beemerboy - Crane Stove 404
the downside is you will reduce the amount of coal that can be held, you will not obtain the secondary air for combustion over the firebed... so though it can be done its not an option I would take.
I am located in RI and would have to find a foundry to recast the firebox. Not sure who or where. Can you offer some suggestions? I will have a couple made, I will keep one and send the second to you for the use of your mold, or if you charge for the use of the mold I would be happy to pay the fee.

Please let me know, and thank you for your input Doug

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Fri. Nov. 08, 2013 2:56 pm

these guys seem to have a very good manner about them and they also seem to have a very good understanding of stoves and parts (i have not used them yet but have spoken with them on several occasions)... very receptive... http://www.wollastonfoundry.com/

I will bring one to them this week and PM you with my findings.

rubidad

Post by rubidad » Thu. Feb. 20, 2014 4:53 pm

Greetings,
I have used a Crane model 44 off and on since the 80's. I currently have one fired up in the basement and one for parts.
Two questions. Well, really three....
Where can I purchase a grate?
Where can I find the proper sized outlet stovepipe-one that fits inside? What size is it?
Thanks

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Thu. Feb. 20, 2014 5:14 pm

rubidad wrote:Greetings,
I have used a Crane model 44 off and on since the 80's. I currently have one fired up in the basement and one for parts.
Two questions. Well, really three....
Where can I purchase a grate?
Where can I find the proper sized outlet stovepipe-one that fits inside? What size is it?
Thanks
Welcome rubidad! Glad you enjoyed the Crane Coal Cooker for so long!
The flu is made for the pipe to fit over it (not inside it).
Grates are hard to come by, I have a few used ones left and In time maybe I can send one to a stove company who will use their foundry to make a few things to have in stock (until then, woodmans products has them but they based their dim. way to close to the dia. of the firebrick so unless your firebrick is worn woodmans 44 grate is to tight!)

KingCoal918
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Coal Cooker Model 88
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut

Post by KingCoal918 » Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 12:21 pm

rubidad wrote: Where can I find the proper sized outlet stovepipe-one that fits inside? What size is it?
I found that I had to use a tin snip and cut in at 3/4" increments all around the 6" pipe flange in order to get it to expand enough to slip it over the 6" flue outlet on my Model 88.

Then I threaded two 4" hose clamps together and tightened them down snug to hold the pipe flange in place on the flue outlet.

mjb

Attachments

photo-2.JPG
.JPG | 130.8KB | photo-2.JPG

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 3:52 pm

Em08 wrote:Hi - I'm looking for a small coal stove for a camper - I mean small. The Crane Coal Cooker sounds as though it might work - but I cannot find anything online about these stoves - like what their dimensions are, and where to purchase, except for comments from people who have used them in the past. Is there a website for these, or a similar stove ? Due to the confined space, it needs to be a vertical stove... the smaller the better. The Dickinson Marine Newport Solid Fuel stove would work, but it is very expensive.

Thanks,
Em
check out a chubby jr.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 9:23 pm

buffalo bob wrote:
Em08 wrote:Hi - I'm looking for a small coal stove for a camper - I mean small. The Crane Coal Cooker sounds as though it might work - but I cannot find anything online about these stoves - like what their dimensions are, and where to purchase, except for comments from people who have used them in the past. Is there a website for these, or a similar stove ? Due to the confined space, it needs to be a vertical stove... the smaller the better. The Dickinson Marine Newport Solid Fuel stove would work, but it is very expensive.

Thanks,
Em
check out a chubby jr.
Chubby Jr. is smaller than a Crane Coal Cooker, Its also has parts easily available, the dimensions of a Chubby Jr. are 28” High x 14” round. I believe you need smaller for a camper! something like this Anthracite Coal Burning Boat / Marine Heater... Faure Stove ... very hard to come across but they are out their (its like a mini Chappee stove). Its built like a lil' tank for anthracite and compare it to the pack of smokes sitting ontop of it.

also... some of the old boat/marine coal stove would be good as well (the new stuff is not made for anthracite plus they are crazy money).... if you search some old marine use coal stove you can find them from $100-$500 and they are built well for anthracite.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”