Power Vent a Hand-Fired Stove?

Mariner

Post by Mariner » Fri. Nov. 04, 2005 10:01 pm

I bought a house this summer that is fitted with a hand-fired wood/coal stove. Specifically, it is a Vermont Casting Vigilant model (I believe a Vigilant I). Originally it was used to supplement electric heat and is piped to a single flue, lined chimney. About six years ago, the previous owners installed oil-fired hydronic heat and piped the boiler exhaust to the same flue. I believe this is in violation of NFPA 211 - at least if you try to use them both at the same time.

I'm new to stove use. This stove at present has dedicated coal grates installed and is designed to burn nut or pea coal (I have anthracite nut on hand). What I would like to know is whether or not such a stove can be exhausted by way of either a powered vent or other type of direct venting in lieu of a chimney. The port would be far enought from windows and other openings. We do not live close to other homes.

I would like to give this stove a go if possible. So, I look forward to any advice on this subject. If I have overlooked anything here, please let me know.

Thanks. John

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Nov. 08, 2005 7:36 pm

Hello,

I see your reported yourself as spam. Want me to ban you? I wouldn't know why?

:) Just kidding of course, the blue button to the right is for reporting spam... it alerts me to me spam posts. I haven't answered you post because I don't have one or in this case don't want to open myself up to liability. If no one replies to it in a few days you can always bumb it to the top of the forum. Just post a reply to it, put bump as the reply. Try not to abuse it and give sufficient time to get an answer.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”