Best Way to Start Fire With Charcoal?

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Feb. 20, 2008 7:43 am

Going great now!! One thing I definetly like better is that my window is staying clean as a whistle!! A litle slower to start than my wood fire but, overall, much easier to do. (*Another thing I like is I only had to us about 20% of the small bag of Matchlight to get it started....The stuff is expensive!)

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Feb. 20, 2008 9:31 am

I just figured how to use the coffee can trick for next time. (The bag idea is to slow) If I cut the top & bottom off a coffee can & then sit it on the grates, fill it with Matchlight briquets, surround the can with coal & then slide the can up & out it should work fine. I'll try that next time this crap coal jams my shaker grates.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Feb. 20, 2008 10:58 am

Yeah, sorry, I forgot to mention the part about cutting both top and bottom out of the coffee can! Glad you read between the lines.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Thu. Feb. 21, 2008 7:31 am

Observations:
Since this was the first time I started a coal fire with charcoal, I have a few observations.( I used the technique of making a small pyramid of Matchlight charcoal in the middle & then surrounding this with coal to about 1/2 full stove)

I will definetly start all future fires with charcoal as it is much easier than wood & my window was not blackened by creosote.
A couple of differences (charcoal vs wood) I would note are the following:

1. Seems to take a bit longer to get the coal bed burning...maybe an additional 30 mins (however,this is offset by the time saved in not having to build a wood fire first)
2. Coal bed takes about 24 hrs to fully engage as the fire works it's way from the center out. (I actualy like this as it would appear that I'm getting a steadier/slower heat from the stove as opposed to the fast rush of heat I usually get when starting with wood as the wood catches the whole coal bed sooner)
3. I was amazed/pleased to see the coal bed had dropped a few inches over night! (I put in about 1/2 hod full to fill the stove back to the firebrick top with no shaking down)

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Feb. 21, 2008 10:00 am

Williams coal Braintree/Marshfield has hardwood charcoal in 20 lb bags if you want to try the good stuff.
Anybody use them for bulk coal?
When I called they were at 280/ton Blaschak picked up. It is cheaper on Cape at 250/ton so I have not made the trip.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Thu. Feb. 21, 2008 12:43 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:Williams coal Braintree/Marshfield has hardwood charcoal in 20 lb bags if you want to try the good stuff.
Anybody use them for bulk coal?
When I called they were at 280/ton Blaschak picked up. It is cheaper on Cape at 250/ton so I have not made the trip.
Where do you buy Blaschak for 250/ton?

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Feb. 21, 2008 1:24 pm

Not sure what brand/mine the bulk is from but will find out tonight from them when I stop in. Burns nice though.

coal-cooker

Post by coal-cooker » Sat. Feb. 23, 2008 2:07 pm

We've used this ancient indian secret for years :D Wife puts few balls of news paper instove with 15 or 20 match light briquetts and lites paper. As soon as charcoal is going good she starts adding small amounts of nut coal sprinkled over the charcoal and within ten or fifteen minutes can have a great fire going in the stove. Just have to add slowly as to not smother charcoal.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sat. Feb. 23, 2008 5:32 pm

coal-cooker wrote:We've used this ancient indian secret for years :D Wife puts few balls of news paper instove with 15 or 20 match light briquetts and lites paper. As soon as charcoal is going good she starts adding small amounts of nut coal sprinkled over the charcoal and within ten or fifteen minutes can have a great fire going in the stove. Just have to add slowly as to not smother charcoal.
No doubt I am sold on starting coal fires with charcoal from now on! So much easier & nice clean window.

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Feb. 27, 2008 11:23 pm

Finally got to ask what brand\mine their coal came from.
Bulk nut from Blaschak and Centralia Sales. Bring a truck, trailer or buckets. Just call ahead if you need them to load the bulk in your truck or trailer.
Bagged Pea, Nut and Stove from Centralia Sales 50lb bags. Bagged Pea was $8 for one bag.
The coal burns real nice. They get loads directly from the breakers.
Ask for Weldy. Mention you heard about them from this board.
Iron House
95 Corporation Rd
Hyannis, MA 02601
(508) 771-4799

JJLL
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-360 Boiler

Post by JJLL » Thu. Feb. 28, 2008 2:53 pm

Devil5052 wrote:Going great now!! One thing I definetly like better is that my window is staying clean as a whistle!! A litle slower to start than my wood fire but, overall, much easier to do. (*Another thing I like is I only had to us about 20% of the small bag of Matchlight to get it started....The stuff is expensive!)
It can get a little expensive. May I suggest using wood pellets to start your stove? I lay down a 4-5 inch layer of coal, then I pour a 1-2 inch layer of pellets on top. I grab my propane torch and light up the pellets. Once they get nice and hot, I put on another layer of coal. A coal, pellet, coal sandwich :) It works, is easy to light and cheaper than charcoal.

BugsyR
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker

Post by BugsyR » Thu. Feb. 28, 2008 3:49 pm

I might be a rookie at this whole coal burning thing and then to top it off I'm considered a girlie man with a stoker BUT...

I could have sworn that step 1 to starting any fire was written right on top of the beer can:

"Pull Tab To Open"

:D

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Thu. Feb. 28, 2008 4:09 pm

That is a critical step. Can't be skipped! :D :cheers: And who ever came up with the girlie man thing is not well informed. I may not have to shovel coal every day, but when I do, it's 250 lbs at a time. Not one of the hand fired units requires that much shoveling at once. toothy

BugsyR
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker

Post by BugsyR » Thu. Feb. 28, 2008 4:28 pm

Okay I'll stop using that title...

Hey Kirk, you do know what step 1 is for shoveling coal right????

"Pull Tab To Open"

Got beer on the brain....It's wing night also!!! WooHoo!!!

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Feb. 28, 2008 5:03 pm

Yeah, I just laugh at the 'girlie-man' title... I load 1500# of pea coal into my hopper each week,, that's 40+ 5 gallon buckets of coal lifted to shoulder height.... I hope I never meet the 'girl' that can do that job without stopping to rest... I certainly don't want her to get mad at me..!! :? :shock: :D

Greg L

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”