Pea or Nut

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 3:50 pm

Hi Adam, Blaschak and Reading are just the two most widely know coal suppliers.. this is mainly because they are the major suppliers of bagged coal.. So their name is seen from Maine to Wisconsin to Kentucky, on Bags of their coal.

There are many other sources for coal, to name a few, that I'm aware of: Superior, Summit, UAE, Hegins, Pine-Creek, Jeddo, Hudson, Lennig, and I'm sure there are at least another dozen or so breakers selling coal.

There are only so many mines, they sell to breakers which clean, size and sell the coal. Some mines have their own breaker/retail/wholesale outlet.. Other mines only sell thier coal.

Blaschak is pretty good coal, it is in general the most expensive coal around, I think it is $165/ton picked up at their breaker, most of the rest of the breakers sell for around $130-140/ton picked up at the breaker, loose, not bagged.

I buy from UAE, Superior, Summit. I have burnt bulk Reading, but I was not pleased with the quality or how clean it was.
I have burnt some bagged Blaschak, and bagged Reading.

Greg L

Coal Jockey

Post by Coal Jockey » Wed. Mar. 05, 2008 9:44 pm

I burn and sell Kimmels. My furnace grates allow either Stove or Nut to burn well. I use the Stove for a long slow steady but cooler fire. The Nut is for serious heat production, intense and fast burning compared to the Stove...although a full load of coal on the furnace running full throttle is lasting 12-14 hrs. The Stove might last a few hrs longer if needed. I never let it die down unless by accident... "Did you you stoke the furnace? No, I thought you did, No, I didn't, I thought you did..." :?

I recommend Kimmels. You'll get the odd piece of wood and the odd rock. Always burns clean and hot with ease.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Thu. Mar. 06, 2008 5:58 am

Is there a thread with a list some where that has all the coal companies contact information (websites) available? I see Reading has a list of dealers on their web site but with Blaschak you have to email them for their dealers, in which I did asking them for dealers within a 100 miles and they just came back with one place and it's called Aubuchon Hardware which doesn't give a person any chance to shop around for the best price. :(

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Mar. 06, 2008 8:08 am

Do some digging on Google, try the phone books, ask some local long timers, then start calling around you will find a coal dealer.
Here is a start with Google;
http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie ... 4&ct=image

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Thu. Mar. 06, 2008 10:49 am

CapeCoaler wrote:Do some digging on Google, try the phone books, ask some local long timers, then start calling around you will find a coal dealer.
Here is a start with Google;
http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie ... 4&ct=image
Thats what I have been doing, there's ones listed on Google that's not in the phone book and ones not on Google that's listed on Yahoo pages. :roll:

My email from Blaschak Coal Corp. gave me one local dealer in Westminster at an Aubuchon Hardware store, but according to Aubuchon Hardware's website they don't have a store there. I did get a hold of one in Orange, Ma that sells it for 370.20 a pallet which he says is 60 40lb bags which equals to 2400lb. Which seems a little high to me, 10 extra bags for almost one third of other prices quotes? A place in Keene (Chabott Coal Co.) sells the Blaschak for 297 a ton pickup or 2 ton min delivered for $5 a loaded mile times about 24 miles is another $120 bucks :(

Spuria's sells a brand called Ventura Coal? I guess it's out of Littleton,MA for 280 a ton $60 bucks for 3 ton min delivery or That allow people to buy it and store it there for free and they can come and take some as they need it, which doesn't sound to bad for people with no storage space.

Agway sells there own Agway brand of coal, have no idea who's inside their bag? Keene,NH says they have it for 282 a ton and delivered for $50. Gardner, Ma says it for 8.99 a bag, when asked about cost per ton the little old lady says "I don't think we ever sold a ton of it before". :lol:

National Coal Co. in Worcester,Ma says Blaschak coal for 300 a ton but with me at 49 miles away I am out of their delivery range. :(

Bernardston Farmers Supply has Reading coal bagged at 285 a ton and bulk at 235 a ton. Will deliver a 2 ton min for $5 a loaded mile at about 45 miles comes to $225 bucks.

Agway and Spuria's have the best price so far that I could find but have no idea on their generic brand of coal. This is turning out to really be a chore spending the last two days on the phone searching for coal and coal prices. I think so far the Harman TLC-2000 seems like the stove for us being it seems to offer what we need.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”