CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Feb. 21, 2008 8:20 am

bugize wrote::shock: ,
I have a mark3 in my basement that I heat a 24x40 ranch with a entry way. an outside chimney with a ss liner.the temp this morning outside was 2 above,i set the draft knob last night at 1 1/4 turn open,maybe a hair more,the stack temp was about 230(12"above elbow exiting the stove),the house is 72,13 hrs later.
I have found that anything above 300 degrees seems to go up the flue,i do have a baro with the weight backed all the way out(i don't get a strong draft),mostly works when the wind is blowing.
if the overnight temps are to get below zero,i usually only back the knob out no more than 1 3/4 turns,i work a swing shift and times cant tend the stove for 15 hrs.when I get home my house is the same temp it was when I left.i have had my stove going steady since the monday following thanksgiving. I hope this helps give you some idea on different things to try. :shock:
My burn times are still shorter if I leave the Mark I unattended, even with the good coal (it has improved). I find the max I can open the air vent for most efficient operation is 1 turn. I realize the stove is too small to heat the house during really cold weather but I don't intend on replacing it because with the stoker in the cellar I can keep the place warm. My chimney pulls a very strong draft, with the mostly open baro the draft runs between -.04 and -.05 " WC. The biggest problem I have is opening the vent too much and then sending a lot of heat up the chimney as well.

spaserg

Post by spaserg » Thu. Feb. 21, 2008 2:26 pm

Yes, since I get lesson from above advises, I open my knob only 2 turns ( I afraid to open less will kill fire) , temp above HM reclaimer 150-200 ( I check for exact numbers). Temp in 25x50 ranch somewhere 72-74 outside today 17 F. No barodamper, I just have NO idea what it is and how it's works, I understand this is for eqvalizing pressure and draft by taking warm inside air in to chimney.Another thing I don't have any space in room to put it.Stove,90* angle to heat reclaimer, 90* angle to wall and outside chimney. (but this is another tread in this forum) I think I'll be fine, Just I feel bad I found this site so late, I waste 2 ton of coal, by wrong burning. "too fast too hot". Thanks to all of you guys.Serge.
How I start to hant for not so expensive coal.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Feb. 21, 2008 10:26 pm

spaserg wrote:Yes, since I get lesson from above advises, I open my knob only 2 turns ( I afraid to open less will kill fire) , temp above HM reclaimer 150-200 ( I check for exact numbers). Temp in 25x50 ranch somewhere 72-74 outside today 17 F. No barodamper, I just have NO idea what it is and how it's works, I understand this is for eqvalizing pressure and draft by taking warm inside air in to chimney.Another thing I don't have any space in room to put it.Stove,90* angle to heat reclaimer, 90* angle to wall and outside chimney. (but this is another tread in this forum) I think I'll be fine, Just I feel bad I found this site so late, I waste 2 ton of coal, by wrong burning. "too fast too hot". Thanks to all of you guys.Serge.
How I start to hant for not so expensive coal.
You need to check the draft with a manometer. Of it is over the amount required for efficient burning of coal, a barometric damper is needed. You would be better off removing the heat reclaimer and installing the baro damper in it's place.
BARODAMPER 30-21.JPG

Barometric damper on my stove.

.JPG | 89.7KB | BARODAMPER 30-21.JPG

bugize

Post by bugize » Fri. Feb. 22, 2008 6:17 am

hey spaserg,
you didnt really waste the 2 ton of coal,you got some heat from it plus what you learned by burning it that way will help you save money down the road.
Now,unless you have a down draft comming down your chimney,you can close it up more than 2 turns out,i do not have a good draft set up and I never go a full 2 turns on the knob,now...i used too until I started playing around keeping a mental note of conditions outside and my stack temps.i have a magnetic thermometer on my flue pipe about 10-12 inches above the elbow on the back of the stove. I realized when I got my stack temps above 300 degrees I was only putting that extra up the flue.
Once you have a coal fire going good after doin the filling routine,while my bottom ash door is open my stack temps will touch 350,sometimes 400 if I forget for a few :o .
I shut the door,adjust my knob accourdingly,and it will chug along all day or night,i will give you some of what I have found to maybe help you out some more,mind you...this is what has worked for me in my set up,stove in basement,3 elbows,short chimney,thats why I put in a ss liner,to increase draft,before I did that there was a double brick chimney that was like 16x20 inches...a mouse fart had more draft LOL....anyways here I go.
when outside temps are in the 40s and sunny,my knob is set no more than 1 turn out,maybe even 7/8 turn out.
If it is in the 40s and it is raining,the draft is reduced because of the heavy air outside,i have run my knob 1 to 1 1/4 turns out...keeping the stack temps around 200,maybe alittle lower...the house will be 80 degrees.
If the outside temps are around 30 I can run my stove with the draft knob set at 1 to 1 1/4 turns out,stack temp around 200-230...house will be 76-78.
If the temps are in the 20s maybe down in the teens,i will run it 1 1/4 out and the house is 73-75 or so,stack temp is around 250 or so,maybe 275.
Last night,the outside temp was 8 above when I went to bed,they forcasted temps below zero,no wind,i set my knob 1 1/2 turns out...its now 4 below...house is 73...stack temp is 280.
I am not sure if you ever burned wood or not,but with a coal fire you don't need to see flame dancing all the time,maybe a small blue flame,a coal fire will chug along all day with minimal draft and not go out...BUT...when you go to fill it again you got to open the draft or the ash door and let that baby get good and hot before you do to much shaking of the grates or loading fresh fuel on it. a quarter turn of the knob will make a big difference with coal,but it does take awhile to see that difference.
I didnt mean to ramble like I have,i get on a subject and I go on and on....my g/f hates that :lol:
but take a day when you are going to be around the house and try these little things and make a not,some guys on here keep a little notebook by the stove....if you have anymore questions for me feel free to email me.....bugize64@yahoo.

bugize

Post by bugize » Fri. Feb. 22, 2008 6:20 am

oh yes...LOL. I realized if I run my blower my heat will disperse down in the basement,i stopped running my blower halfway through this year and found I get more radiant heat upstairs.if your stove is up on your living floor you may want to run the blower.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”