Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 8:11 pm

archangel_cpj wrote:
Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 6:07 pm
Guess Ill say it since I didnt see it mentioned... If for 15 years it's worked fine and nothing has changed EXCEPT for the coal could it simply be a bad batch of coal???? Perhaps a neighbor or someone close by could bring a pail of known good coal over to take that one off the table...
I was thinking about that. Maybe buy a.bag or 2 and test it. Can't hurt.

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Sun. Jan. 22, 2023 12:37 pm

In my mind, based on the entire thread content, I'd try some different coal.

Thechap

Post by Thechap » Sun. Jan. 22, 2023 3:26 pm

I thought I mentioned it somewhere. It's the same coal I've burning since September. Thanks again. I have it burning at the moment. I don't want to say too much knock on wood.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Jan. 22, 2023 4:42 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 3:40 pm
Can you use a mirror to look up the chimney and see if it has become obstructed ?

Could a chimney cleanout, or stove pipe be leaking air into the chimney ?

Paul
A bird built a nest ? Unlikely but not impossible.

I clean the stove myself and the chimney is clean. FROM INITIAL POST

The flow of air...comes into stove from ashpan door. Goes up through grates and coal into firebox..exits out chimney.

No fire? Still may have a draft. Draft might be good.

Issue might be firebox is not hot enough all the time to allow coal to burn. Solids do not burn, gasses do. So the coal has to be gassified to burn. This requires heat. Good draft with cold firebox will not be an environment where good burns will be seen.

Burning good, go to sleep...wake up coal is there but firebox has no fire. Sounds like ash buildup lowered air intake slowly lowering burning until firebox got to cold to continue the process.

Solution ? Get up and shake stove once after going to sleep.
Last edited by davidmcbeth3 on Sun. Jan. 22, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 22, 2023 4:51 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Sun. Jan. 22, 2023 4:42 pm
A bird built a nest ? Unlikely but not impossible.

I clean the stove myself and the chimney is clean. FROM INITIAL POST
Stove out for only a long weekend away and I've come home to restart the range and find that the chimney is blocked by squirrel nests. Happened enough times that I keep a mirror and chimney brush rods in the back shed next to the chimney to check for and clear out through the cleanout door. A squirrel can build a nest in one day that will plug the chimney.

Paul

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Jan. 22, 2023 9:59 pm

We just had a weather system roll through here for about three days and clear grates or not the stove just didn’t want to pick up to the point I wanted it to pick up. Finally, the weather pattern left and now the stove responds.

Weather pattern was 35-50F with fog and misting rain. Manometer was showing dang near zero but the stove was hot to touch, but a black box.

This was one time where I believe having the paper clip on the rear air intake flap helped keep the stove alive.

Usually my stove will run with the built in stove damper full closed…and it was still running and drafting, but the Manometer was reading like I said, almost zero…below-.005” and I didn’t like that so I half opened the damper rod and cracked some windows and left the house. Six (6) hours later the draft was -.01”…in my comfort zone.

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford

Post by ShawnLiNy » Sun. Jan. 22, 2023 10:12 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Sun. Jan. 22, 2023 9:59 pm
We just had a weather system roll through here for about three days and clear grates or not the stove just didn’t want to pick up to the point I wanted it to pick up. Finally, the weather pattern left and now the stove responds.

Weather pattern was 35-50F with fog and misting rain. Manometer was showing dang near zero but the stove was hot to touch, but a black box.

This was one time where I believe having the paper clip on the rear air intake flap helped keep the stove alive.

Usually my stove will run with the built in stove damper full closed…and it was still running and drafting, but the Manometer was reading like I said, almost zero…below-.005” and I didn’t like that so I half opened the damper rod and cracked some windows and left the house. Six (6) hours later the draft was -.01”…in my comfort zone.
Good Point We did have a few funky weather weeks ( I had at least 10 days that didn’t require any more than a 4-6 hour wood fire at night, and a few more with fire at all that definitely would interfere with normal drafting

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Jan. 22, 2023 10:24 pm

Yeah…at Christmas time we move a chair directly in front of the stove about 6ft away. There were a few times during this weather pattern where I’d sit in that chair directly in front of the stove and open the stove damper full open and then open the ash pan door and just sit there for an hour…literally an hour…and it simply wouldn’t perk up until the next morning.

It was for sure weird.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Jan. 24, 2023 11:37 am

Thechap wrote:
Sat. Jan. 21, 2023 3:10 pm
I just checked the manual which says:. A barometric damper may be installed
to prevent excessive or erratic draft.
MANUAL DAMPERS OR “HEAT SAVERS” MUST
NEVER BE INSTALLED IN THE FLUE PIPE. IMPROPER
OPERATION COULD RESULT IN DEATH.
If I was liable for the stupidly of a consumer I'd say that too!!
The educated consumer is the best customer.
BTW: Most all manual dampers have gap 360 degrees around and also do have a small center hole so to not allow 100% blockage of the flue path. It is just a "choke".

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 24, 2023 11:43 am

There is a reason that manual pipe dampers all come with holes in them. Guess why ?

And if "Improper operation can cause death" is the criteria, maybe they shouldn't sell stoves....even with a baro. :lol:

As a friend once observed," Every time they make something idiot-proof,.... somebody goes and invents a better idiot." :D

Paul

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford

Post by ShawnLiNy » Tue. Jan. 24, 2023 2:29 pm

McGiever wrote:
Tue. Jan. 24, 2023 11:37 am
If I was liable for the stupidly of a consumer I'd say that too!!
The educated consumer is the best customer.
BTW: Most all manual dampers have gap 360 degrees around and also do have a small center hole so to not allow 100% blockage of the flue path. It is just a "choke".
I think it blocks about 80%when fully closed ( that 1/4” clearance adds up fast )

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Jan. 24, 2023 4:15 pm

Deleted by Hoytman. Don’t want anyone misunderstanding what I said and get hurt.

Thechap

Post by Thechap » Thu. Jan. 26, 2023 9:49 am

Can a Mod delete this entry. Thanks!

Big D
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman mark III
Coal Size/Type: Soft and nut
Other Heating: Wood

Post by Big D » Tue. Apr. 11, 2023 12:17 pm

Make sure that top plate is clear of ash .a piece of flex tube on the shop vac will get it clear to the back

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”