Chronicles of the Clayton

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 09, 2015 7:48 pm

Welp... I loaded 99 pounds in yesterday and another 97 pounds today.. :)
But, I don't care... I love it!... I love it!.... I don't care.. :lol:

Windy and ass numbing cold around here, 77 degrees in the living room.. 8-)

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Fri. Jan. 09, 2015 8:08 pm

77*! Do you really like it that hot Lee, or is it tough to control it? I can get 77* too. 'Cept it's all on the ceiling, while the floor is 62*. I'm sure yours is more comfortable, coming through floor registers.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 09, 2015 8:15 pm

joeq wrote:77*! Do you really like it that hot Lee, or is it tough to control it? I can get 77* too. 'Cept it's all on the ceiling, while the floor is 62*. I'm sure yours is more comfortable, coming through floor registers.
:lol: No, I can get just about any heat output I want out of it. My wife complains she is cold when its 73 in here. I'm ok with 77 degrees as long as I'm just sitting on the couch baking, but as soon as I get up to do anything, I break a sweat.. I wonder what she'll be like when we're older. Ever notice how old people like 85 degrees in their house? I better find another Clayton and park it next to the one in the basement..
:bop:

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Fri. Jan. 09, 2015 8:26 pm

If it drops to 71 here, my wife is complaining about being cold, she likes it at about 74 to 75.

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Jan. 09, 2015 8:29 pm

My mother is 85 now, and also likes her house "warm". Years ago when I went visiting, she had the oil furnace blasting 70*. It felt like a sauna to me, cause we used to keep ours at 66*. Now the wife sits in frt of our 513, Sat morning, drinking coffee, with a hooded sweat shirt wrapped around her head. And the thermostat says the room is 72*. (Spoiled, or what?)

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Jan. 09, 2015 8:41 pm

joeq wrote:My mother is 85 now, and also likes her house "warm". Years ago when I went visiting, she had the oil furnace blasting 70*. It felt like a sauna to me, cause we used to keep ours at 66*. Now the wife sits in frt of our 513, Sat morning, drinking coffee, with a hooded sweat shirt wrapped around her head. And the thermostat says the room is 72*. (Spoiled, or what?)
Yes spoiled joeq we all are. I lit the basement stove and it pushes hot air through the return vents at a nice mellow pace. I have the vigilant sleeping at 290* using about 15 lbs of coal a day and the basement 40 lbs so @ 385 lbs/ week the house is 74* - 78* and when the sun is out I open windows and air out the place when it's zero outside :lol:

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Fri. Jan. 09, 2015 8:42 pm

Starting to sound like they might all be 'sisters from other mothers'. :lol:

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Jan. 10, 2015 5:05 pm

Yep, good thing we can keep em warm!! 8-)

Ash/coal ratio for the last 8 days is 15.5%.. I have an explanation for the higher percentages for the last couple measurements. I've dug into my bin a little a ways thru the season and I'm getting into a lot of pea size coal. It's underneath where the coal comes into the bin and the smaller pieces seem to stay there when the coal is poured in. The bigger nut and stove sizes seem to be on the other side of the bin that I don't have good access to yet. I'm loosing some of the small stuff thru the grates, I can see it in the ash..

There I go with my 104 pounds of ash and can to the dumping cliff.. :lol:

Attachments

20150110_163601.jpg
.JPG | 132.4KB | 20150110_163601.jpg

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 10, 2015 5:22 pm

Dumping cliff! Watch your footing M/Ting that can Lee, in your slippery galoshes.
So are you saying, for every 100lbs of coal you burn, you're collecting 15lbs of ash? Is that the 1st time you've measured that, or do you have a comparison number?

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Jan. 10, 2015 5:27 pm

joeq wrote:Dumping cliff! Watch your footing M/Ting that can Lee, in your slippery galoshes.
So are you saying, for every 100lbs of coal you burn, you're collecting 15lbs of ash? Is that the 1st time you've measured that, or do you have a comparison number?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

no, that won't be the first or last time measuring ash % !!

there's really only one guy that measures more stuff than Lee :P ;)

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Jan. 10, 2015 5:37 pm

joeq wrote:Dumping cliff! Watch your footing M/Ting that can Lee, in your slippery galoshes.
Yes, 15 pounds of ash for each 100 ponds of coal burned.
I've been measuring ash and coal since I started burning this season. There are more ash/coal comparisons thru this thread. I usually get between 12 and 13% which is pretty good considering that anthracite is generally 10% ash based on lab conditions, but that's variable also to some degree.

A miss placed step at the cliff would have me sliding down a 80 degree pitch for about 12 feet, ass over ash can.. :lol:

Steve is the measuring King.. 8-)

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 10, 2015 5:51 pm

So your percentage of difference from previous measurements is only a percent or 2. That's pretty good, don't you think? What is the degree of accuracy?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Jan. 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Hey Lee, Nice ash sled in that pic!! I might adopt (blatantly steal) that idea if we keep this snow pack for a while.

By the way do you have a white belt and white shoes to go with those plaid pants..... if so you can golf with me anytime!!! :)

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sat. Jan. 10, 2015 6:19 pm

joeq wrote:So your percentage of difference from previous measurements is only a percent or 2. That's pretty good, don't you think? What is the degree of accuracy?

I'm using a digital luggage scale. Should be pretty close to right on. I also weighed the coal bucket and ash can so I subtract that from each weighing to get the true weight of each product.
titleist1 wrote:Hey Lee, Nice ash sled in that pic!! I might adopt (blatantly steal) that idea if we keep this snow pack for a while.

By the way do you have a white belt and white shoes to go with those plaid pants..... if so you can golf with me anytime!!!
:lol: I'd be chasing balls out thru the woods! Hey, where'd that 9 iron go?
Oh yeah, I used it for a coal poker while in my PJs ..

I've moved around 450 pound - 55 gallon barrels full of coal with that little saucer sled. I told the kids hands off :x , I'm repossessing the sled.. :lol:

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 10, 2015 6:25 pm

Lightning wrote: Oh yeah, I used it for a coal poker while in my PJs ..
I knew those were PJs Lee. I had a pair of pants with the same pattern in the late 60s. (Very popular). :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”