Chronicles of the Clayton

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 18, 2016 7:36 pm

joeq wrote:Ditto Corey, Lee. "Thumbs up!" :D
We had the same screwy weather the past couple days. Single digits for a couple, and today hit 50, (I think) Was also layering the nut on top of the stove.
Thanks Joe! I hope the Glen is treating you well. Yeah we got a lot of rain on top of at least a foot of snow. Now it'll freeze solid. My driveway is a mess, even with the neighbor helping me with his tractor.
scalabro wrote:You take real nice fire pix Lee! I love looking at anthracite fires from all types of stoves :twisted:
Thanks Scott, yeah I really like the camera and the features for it on this Galaxy 6 smart phone. It nearly eliminates the need for carrying a separate camera for anything unless you really need professional quality pictures. :)

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 08, 2017 10:38 am

In other news, I saw this on Teen Titans this morning....

Attachments

20170108_103539.jpg
.JPG | 119.7KB | 20170108_103539.jpg

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Great observation, Lee. I'm surprised the liberals in Hollywood didn't edit that out.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Maybe the producers were Trump voters lol.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 08, 2017 3:15 pm

A producer? From Hollywood? A "Trump" supporter!?
rofl_display.jpg
.JPG | 71.5KB | rofl_display.jpg
(Now that's funny.)

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 15, 2017 10:40 am

Ashley has been serving us well lately, no problems. I've been tending once every 24 hours since Jan 11th. The forecast shows temps favorable for once per day tending for at least a full week from today onward.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Sun. Jan. 15, 2017 10:52 am

Lightning wrote:Ashley has been serving us well lately, no problems. I've been tending once every 24 hours since Jan 11th. The forecast shows temps favorable for once per day tending for at least a full week from today onward.
I seen a forecast model show cold air co.ingredients back in after the 20th.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 6:04 pm

So this post is kinda like a journal entry. During mild weather burns I've found it necessary to blanket the stove size coal with nut size. Without the blanket of nut size, the stove size would develop dead spots in if fuel bed. Lately I've been trying different ratios to see if I can achieve a healthy happy fire with less nut size. I was using a 1:1 ratio with 20 pounds of each. Over several days now I've been using 35-40 pounds of Stove size and covering it with only 10 pounds of nut. This is Neato because it seems to be doing just what I need it to with 1:3 and and even a 1:4 ratio. All the nut size needs to do is fill in the gaps between the stove size pieces at the top of the coal bed. I've been running the stove down to 210-220 over the load door and keeping a healthy coal bed.

So you might ask, why not just get a load of mixed? Well, as it's poured the big pieces roll to the front of my bin effectively unmixing the sizes. I can see myself staying with the bulk stove size cuz I really like it's quick recovery and high burn rates during extreme cold weather. But I think I'll be getting a pallet of nut to blanket with.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 6:13 pm

That natural size self-sorting ability of coal bin piles used to bother me,..... until the Mayor pointed out how to make use of that. A bit of real "turning lemons into lemonade" advice.

Now, I really like it that the coal pouring off the coal shute into a pile tends to separate out the big pieces from the small. I can pick, or mix sizes to suit how I want the stove to burn. ;)

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 7:43 pm

Same results in my round stove Lee. I've been putting a layer of nut on top of a healthy burning stove size bed too, and it tends to "cool" it down a bit. Like when I'm going to bed. Because I don't want to waste the stove, and we'll be under covers, I top the fire off with nut through the night. Preserves the stove size, and keeps the temps lower. Plus it's suppose to burn longer. I don't recognize that tho, cause in the AM, no matter what, the barrel tempts always about 400°, and the klinker door is grey. So I poke her down, top it off with nut, and head off to work. When I get home, I'll do the "full Nelson" shakedown, and load her up with the size the weather dictates.
So I guess the "theys" have taught us right, in that dept. Lee. :D

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Hey Paul and Joe, thanks for the responses! At the beginning of the season I was struggling with the stove size trying to idle it back. At tending time it wouldn't rev up, it would have huge dead spots and only small areas of healthy burning coal. This just wasn't acceptable for this "wanna be" perfectionist lol. At one point I was even embarrassed to admit that I had lost the fire completely.

Having the nut size blanketing the top forces the hot gases to explore other pathways to the top and out of the fuel bed. I think this is the key factor in keeping the healthy low glow plugging along in the stove size underneath it.

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 8:38 pm

That explanation sounds convincing to me Lee. Good job landing it. :)

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Thanks Joe, currently at 189 over the load door, 75 in the house and 35 outside. The blowers are cycling on and off which is what we want during periods of low heat demand.

Edit - there was some residual heat from revving the fire up before tending. The house isn't normally 75 degrees under those conditions.

Attachments

Screenshot_20170119-215233.png
.PNG | 428.5KB | Screenshot_20170119-215233.png
Last edited by Lightning on Fri. Jan. 20, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Fri. Jan. 20, 2017 7:24 am

Lightning wrote:Thanks Joe, currently at 189 over the load door, 75 in the house and 35 outside. The blowers are cycling on and off which is what we want during periods of low heat demand.
Looks like you have her dialed in.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 20, 2017 2:57 pm

corey wrote:Looks like you have her dialed in.
It took a couple years but we're gettin there lol.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”