Advice for A Newby Please

rxb902

Post by rxb902 » Wed. Feb. 13, 2008 9:47 am

Good Day,
I plan to purchase a coal insert soon. But, I am having trouble choosing between the Hitzer 503, Harman Elite Magnafire and the Baker Fireside Inserts. I really like the hopper concept on the Hitzer, but I am a little put off by the thin shell 11 ga. Any and all advice (that is responsible advice) is appreciated. Thanks

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Feb. 13, 2008 10:14 am

Baker hasn't been mentioned here much so I really I don't know anything about their products, as far as the other two go both well made products. The general advice is when looking at any of these appliances is figure out which one fits your needs and that's the one to get. You won't be disappointed in any of them.

As far as the steel goes, if you maintain any of these stoves well. particualatly the hand fired units because they have less things to break and easier to repair chances are it will outlive you. ;)

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Feb. 13, 2008 10:27 am

Hello rxb, welcome to the forum... Just a note on inserts.. you will get a lot more heat out of a free-standing stove. An insert's back, sides and top are at least partially hidden in the fireplace, and the heat raditated to the inside of the fireplace is wasted heat..

I know that inserts look nicer, and often space in the room is an issue. But if you are concerned about the efficiency of getting the heat into the house, an insert is not as good as a free standing stove.

The Hitzer is a great stove, as is the Harman... If the Hitzer will fit and work in your fireplace, I'd go with it. They are very well made, and have excellent after the sale service from the factory if needed. The hopper feed design is great, and makes feeding the fire much easier in a low fireplace location. Keeps the mess/dust to a minimum.

Hope the above helps. Greg L

BTW: fill in your signature, lets us know where you are located.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Wed. Feb. 13, 2008 3:59 pm

Be careful when measuring, make sure they will fit before you buy it.

They are both well made with with each having one advantage over the other.

The Hitzer has the hopper.

The Harman can be shaken with the ash door closed, helps keep the dust down.

Both are outstanding american made products.

BK

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Feb. 13, 2008 4:17 pm

Hi rxb I would either buy a Hitzer or the Baker both are great units and the customer service will Be much better
Then with Harman The Hitzer co. has been around since 1975 The Baker stove co. has been around since 1977 both are good old stove co. Harman has been around since 1979 but has awful Customer service and the co. as been sold recently Hopefully the new co. will impove the service Baker also has a external shaking handel for the ash will help keep things cleaner Good luck on your choice :)

http://www.bakerstoves.com/baker-stove-models.html

http://www.hitzer.com/model503.html

http://www.hitzer.com/products/stove/Model-983-Fi ... ce-Insert/

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

rxb902

Post by rxb902 » Thu. Feb. 14, 2008 2:44 pm

Thank You to all, for the advice. I really appreciate it. A tremendous help.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”