6" Chim. With Bituminous

LoschStoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console III
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Monarch Paramount Range– Style 24PY-2 Burner
Other Heating: Yukon Polar-Eagle II Multi Furnace

Post by LoschStoker » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 10:54 pm

I was going to use my new Warm Morning 400A stove in the basement, but I have a 6" SS chimney.
Thru the wall to the top of the chim is 22'
I was planning to use bituminous coal, Is that going to be a problem?
Somewhere I read I need a 8" chimney.
Last edited by LoschStoker on Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 11:00 pm

I'm wondering what effect BIT will have on the stainless--as far as the 6" goes. I don't see a problem if you've got a good draw

LoschStoker

Post by LoschStoker » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 11:04 pm

I'm thinking their reason was that soft coal soot's up ( clogs) a 6" pipe quick.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Sep. 22, 2014 11:06 pm

Hmmmm, the bit guys need to jump in on this one

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Tue. Sep. 23, 2014 12:44 am

LoschStoker wrote:
I'm thinking their reason was that soft coal soot's up ( clogs) a 6" pipe quick.
Yes, soot 'can' accumulate very quickly with soft coal but it depends on a number of factors...how you fire the stove, the characteristics of the coal and how strong/consistent the chimney draft is.

It would be better if the chimney were 8 inch but try it with the existing 6" and see how it performs.

When you say 6"SS chimney do you mean class A all fuel insulated pipe or a SS chimney liner?
Either way, I'm guessing there is a cap (possibly with a spark screen) at the top. If there is a cap, and if it has any kind of screen in it or narrow gaps etc., it can quickly clog up with soot effecting the draft. Another problem with caps that have screens is that some of the soot that accumulates on the outer edges of the cap/screen will end up getting washed down by rain/snow onto the roof and through rain gutters etc. and can be kinda messy. I'm not necessarily telling you to remove the cap but you may need to modify it so it doesn't collect too much soot.

Don't let what I just said alarm you..I'm just giving you some things to watch for. Just go slow, adding small amounts of coal at first, until you get used to its quirks. Keep in mind there will always be some smoke when hand stoking soft coal, especially after adding fresh coal.

Be sure to have at least one CO detector, just to be safe :)

LoschStoker

Post by LoschStoker » Tue. Sep. 23, 2014 9:55 am

Thanks
The chim is the insulated type with a insulated chase around it.
misc 174.JPG
.JPG | 141.1KB | misc 174.JPG
I wish I would have put up a masonry chim, I could have done it for 1/3 of the cost and less work.
My last house I put up a masonry chim using 7" round liners with perlite and cement mix to hold the liners plus insulate the chim.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Sep. 23, 2014 10:08 am

yup, bituminous hand-fired works best with 8" and bigger and you don't want the cap.

vanguy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 617A
Coal Size/Type: bagged nut anthracite, bulk lump and stove bituminous
Other Heating: Natural Gas Furnace

Post by vanguy » Sun. Feb. 20, 2022 9:04 pm

Is the factory "flue elbow" still on the stove? Is it 8" or 6"? These stoves were designed to burn bituminous coal. They will burn "any" coal but the original design was so bit coal would burn well...the reason for the funny looking firebrick "flues" in the corners of the firebox.

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Mon. Feb. 21, 2022 10:47 am

I don't know much about bit coal, but for any coal burning, I would consider burning some wood in it first. The creosote from the wood will help preserve the stainless longer from the acidic action of the coal. I know that a lot of guys on here burn wood in the shoulder months and some do it with the idea of preserving their stove pipes, which are made of steel. All I know is that since 1989 I have only replaced my pipes and elbows once. But then also I had mainly only burned wood up to about 4 years ago. I really think that the creosote plating does help protect the inside of the pipes from rusting out so fast. But as far as burning bit go's, I have no clue as to what you can safely go with either 6" or 8". Either way always keep at least 1 co detector and a chimney fire flare handy for safe burning. Also don't forget to sweep your chimney regularly.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Feb. 21, 2022 11:18 am

This post is 8 years old, but research the volume or square inches of a 6" pipe compared to 8" pipe and you will see why 8" is better. I had some soft coal that really plugged things up quickly with my 6" pipe but with the lignite Ive burned it hasnt been an issue.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Feb. 21, 2022 11:48 am

Sooo, the answer is....wholesale, what Berlin says below.
Berlin wrote:
Tue. Sep. 23, 2014 10:08 am
yup, bituminous hand-fired works best with 8" and bigger and you don't want the cap.
But...If you have a Warm Morning stove with the “internal secondary tiles/brick flues” you may have an exception with the 6 in.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Feb. 21, 2022 2:04 pm

I've burned bit before, and my chimney was 6". I would say don't reduce stove exhaust, and you will be fine. Now as far as effect on the chimney, that I could not tell you. The chimney I had at the time was just like yours. The interior eventually was eaten up, and fell in. Not sure if that was due to bit, or my neglect. I've burnt wood, bit, and anthracite in that chimney.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 6:31 pm

Might depend on how well you chimney drafts and how volatile the bit is that you have. The bit I burn smokes heavily and if it doesn’t draft we’ll it will build up and ignite. I mostly had this problem on initial start up. Once the chimney got warm it wasn’t too bad as long as I didn’t dump a bunch of coal at once.

I used a 6” stove pipe to a masonry chimney. I had about 12’ of run. The soot from the bit will build up quickly in a 6’ pipe. That is why 8” is better. Less cleaning and draft issues. I didn’t have any soot issues in the masonry chimney and it is 7”. Just the 6” pipe. If your bit doesn’t leave a lot of soot 6” won’t be a problem. If it does just have to clean it more.

LoschStoker

Post by LoschStoker » Fri. Feb. 25, 2022 1:54 pm

I never did use new Warm Morning 400A stove, I sold it to a guy up in Freeland not to long ago.
He's looking for a OEM fan for on the back. I recommended an in the duct fan
Thanks for your replies.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Fri. Feb. 25, 2022 3:41 pm

Used to see them on eBay but I think they all dried up. I was thinking about cutting a short piece of stove pipe the diameter of the hole on back of the stove and mounting it, then mounting a small off the shelf fan to the end of the stove pipe. That might keep it far enough away from the heat.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”