Heated Air Intake

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Thu. Aug. 14, 2014 3:59 pm

The welder should stop by next weekend to fix the hinge pins finally. I got thinking about what might make the stove better in the process. What is the group thought about a heated air intake? I am thinking 2 pieces of square tubing running across the top of the stove inside the fire box then down the outside to the ash pan area. one setup going left to right and an identical one going right to left to go into ash pan area on the other side. After hearing on several occasions the benefits of preheated combustion air is this good idea or money for nothing? Appreciate the only cost to me is the steel tubing and my time and the case of beer I am going to give my friend with a welder no matter how little he does.

The second project is a removable baffle to add a bit more to the flue gas washing or does the MPD slow things down enough? My hope is to drive more heat into the sides of the stove. I also want to burn some wood in the parts of the year that all is needed is to take the chill off in the evening and for a couple of hours in the early morning. If the house is 5- or 60 during the day when I am not in it I don't care.

For reference the stove is a Crane 404. All thoughts welcome!

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Aug. 14, 2014 4:33 pm

I thought the Crane already had a baffle? A baffle is good.

Heating the air intake is good but as I picture what you intend it would cool once leaving the fire box area. Too many holes too. Heated secondary air over the fire might be a better thing to do. Would help clean up any wood burning too.

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Fri. Aug. 15, 2014 2:06 am

The only baffle is one that covers about half of the flue outlet but nothing that adds to the flow path of the flue. The only way to do the heated air would be down the outside as the firebox fills the whole stove. I would think even going outside the air would have to be a good deal warmer than what comes off the floor

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Aug. 15, 2014 2:49 pm

ddahlgren wrote:The only baffle is one that covers about half of the flue outlet but nothing that adds to the flow path of the flue. The only way to do the heated air would be down the outside as the firebox fills the whole stove. I would think even going outside the air would have to be a good deal warmer than what comes off the floor
A baffle that extends out should be more effective. A secondary air tube on the front lip of the baffle is a good spot. Don't forget you need access to clean that area.

I don't think heated primary air is such a concern. By the time it filters up the fire pot to the burning zone it will be pretty hot already.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”