The FIRST Anthracite Stove Ever Made- Really Cool

steamshovel

Post by steamshovel » Wed. Aug. 06, 2014 7:46 pm

I found this blog online months ago, and did actually place bids on the stove. IIRC I quit bidding at around $350 and let the other bidder take it. I didn't want to travel the 250 mile round trip, 4 hours, in hellish traffic, to go get it, in downtown Philadelphia.

but it was and is, one cool stove, and if I ever see one again, I'll try to buy it.

take the time to read the entire blog, great historical info

http://stovehistory.blogspot.com/2014/01/jordan-m ... 0013778445

steamshovel

Post by steamshovel » Wed. Aug. 06, 2014 7:47 pm

there she is, and what a thing of beauty it is, because it's a "first". the holy grail...the great white whale...whatever... :D imagine having that cooking away in your parlor this winter. the first anthracite stove ever made. awesome. see, it's not all about efficiency. there's a LOT more to it than that....

Attachments

20433-77.jpg
.JPG | 154.6KB | 20433-77.jpg

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Aug. 06, 2014 9:03 pm

What a fantastic read!!! I started it and then over an hour later I finished and then started over again to get what I missed. What a find and to think it is going to a good home and not ending up in a scrap yard and melted down. Another piece of history would have been lost forever if he hadn't had the intestinal fortitude to go to the auctioneer and tell them what they really had.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

steamshovel

Post by steamshovel » Wed. Aug. 06, 2014 9:22 pm

it's an amazing stove and writeup, and great find...that is one cool stove. the first ever made ! and it went DIRT CHEAP. when I stopped bidding the other guy got it for only $25 or $50 more. around $400 ? I think it was a museum that got it ? it says in the writeup who got it. there were only 2 bidders on the stove, me and another party. I found that blog and it mentioned the upcoming auction, so I registered and bid. otherwise I would not have known it even existed. the graphs of anthracite production during the 1800's are stunning- that was with mostly hand labor and deep mining, pick and shovel, with mules pulling the dollies out of the mines ! just goes to show what can be done with hard work, no central bank devaluing the currency, and no welfare state paying people to stay home and be lazy.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”