Box Stove to Base Heater Conversion Adventure

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jul. 04, 2022 3:02 pm

Have you tried using smaller sized coal to reduce burn speeds and thus heat output ?

And the smaller air flow spaces of smaller sized coal may also help with reducing wind gust effect on draft. Similar to the effect of having window screens on a windy day verses no window screens - the curtains don't get blown around as much. ;)

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Jul. 04, 2022 3:43 pm

FRANK puts a lot of heat out thru the front load door “glass” as it is.

I have considered doing something on the side walls but, I already made the double heater panels for there and in this case I think the strong circulation they provide out weighs the possibility of a discernible percentage of additional radiance, especially since the stove sits in a corner.

FRANK is capable of much more heat, at low cruise, than can be used in this house post updates. owing to the fact that the fire pot is the equivalent of a 17” diameter vertical pipe with 17” diameter grates that also moves the exhaust past the outside of the pot

Since it is very rare for the thermostatic control to have the primary air flap open more than 1/8” at present, the idea is to “ devolve” his top end power in favor of fuel economy.

As mentioned earlier this will be pretty simple and since the magazine will stay the same size the burn time will increase quite a bit as well.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 3:43 pm

What could this picture mean ?
7DB5D554-0991-4B50-9AF8-04AA1AEABCB5.jpeg

Empty hearth corner

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 4:09 pm

Huh oh!!!

Either your furnace and insulation is complete, the DS is going back in, and/or the #6 is for sale. Gulp!!

Wait!!!
It could mean you found yourself a small mica globe stove with the grate system you like so well. Clamshell is it?

The suspense is killing me. :lol:

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 4:47 pm

Ding Ding Bill
Right on atleast 2 out of 3
FRANK is in full dress rehearsal for the season with a grate area reduction from 3 functioning side to side grates to just 2
Will be returning to full base burner/ double heater operation with the last of the exhaust path once again being the fully exposed back pipe for final radiant extraction.
Our area is forecast for high levels of snow and a stretch of possible -40 during January
With the updates completed I’m real sure this configuration with the bi metallic primary air control will do the job
Have the lower rear brick retainer worked out will be installing tomorrow
I will be gone the first week of November so I’m betting the farm on the wife being able to run this stove on her own as in the past

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 5:35 pm

Im looking forward to more pics and the results with a smaller firebox. I bet it will be a breeze to run that way.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 6:15 pm

I’ll have pics of the install prior to firing it up.
I’ve been told the double heater panels need to be painted black this season instead of barn metal green 🫅

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Oct. 09, 2022 9:17 am

Oh thank goodness! I thought you got robbed.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Oct. 09, 2022 8:28 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Sun. Oct. 09, 2022 9:17 am
Oh thank goodness! I thought you got robbed.
Robbed ? The dog you see in some of my pics is not one you want to walk in on unaccompanied.

Anyway here is stage one. All our grown kids were here today and the boys helped me get it in off the sun porch.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Oct. 10, 2022 8:24 pm

Stage 2 completed, on to the brick retainer and tape the pipe joints

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Oct. 11, 2022 5:48 am

I decided I don’t like that hook up, too deep into the corner.
I’ll flip the tee horizontal and add an elbow that will do it
I need to reinstall the damper control and put the cover back on the front clean out port too
Good thing the wife is around to watch me !!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Oct. 11, 2022 6:18 am

I bet you’re glad you didn’t sell that stove to me yet? :lol:

Exactly how many square feet are you heating with it? All well insulated now, unlike before, correct?

If so, will be interesting to see how it runs for you compared to before.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Oct. 11, 2022 11:15 am

Had you been interested, I would have gone all out on a mica base burner capable of starting the season on
The same 1380 sf now fully insulated
I expect it to idle all season with the exception of several weeks in January
If that’s the case I will drop my fuel use by atleast 1/3 possibly 1/2 just depends on actual demand
Since I’ll be running 1/3 less grate space, not wanting it to mimic a road flare it probably won’t see over -.01 for the most part and mostly not even that
Thanks for following along
steve

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Oct. 11, 2022 6:26 pm

Much better now the double heater out put will go over the knee wall on the left into the entryway and up the stairs
On the right it will go thru the arch into the dining room and toward the kitchen
Plenty of room on both sides to get to the controls and have 2 hods of coal waiting

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Oct. 11, 2022 7:00 pm

I like what you did with the pipes. Good decision.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”