Box Stove to Base Heater Conversion Adventure

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Apr. 23, 2019 9:27 am

Thanks for including us in your proof-of-concept experiments. I really enjoyed see all that, "what if" come to reality. It shows that modern stoves can be improved using old technology.

Like the old saying goes, There's nothing new under the Sun." ;)

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Apr. 29, 2019 2:54 pm

well... after being miserable for a week of yo-yo weather and rain I relit FRANK yesterday afternoon to ward off this weeks nasty wet cold nights and cloudiness that will keep me from getting any solar gain during the days.

the house was wonderfully warm and DRY feeling all night and the wife assures me of more of the same today.

I LOVE summer and winter but I despise spring and fall. guess I should just move to Alaska and get it over with.

steve

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 2:33 pm

well we've had a very nice fall but it's over now, 30's for highs and snow showers blowing around.

Frank got a new back pipe and went on duty this week. so nice to go down stairs if I wake up in the middle of the night and just sit in front of that beam of peach colored light filling the room and watch the blue ladies do the hula for a while.

every body stay warm and safe, check your C/O detectors

steve

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 6:28 pm

Are you still getting a #6, Steve?

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 7:17 pm

pretty sure i am, just a matter of meshing several schedules.

it's been a very busy off season for many of us and with 600ish miles between a couple of us it takes real focus to pull a road trip together.

but, as followers of the forum will know i have no shortage of stoves here already :lol:

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 7:56 pm

Still really pleased with FRANK for heat and esp ease of use

2 hours to go from dead out to hopper in and full no smoked up window or back puffing ever

Set the bi metal to desired heat and wait 12 hours. Open hopper refill top 1/2 bucket of coal, shake ashes, refill hopper with rest of bucket of coal and wait 12 hours

No going from base mode to direct and back, no opening more dampers and closing again, no opening primary air (bi metal) and closing again

Just fill and shake twice a day, total of 5 mins. each and take out ash twice a week

When I get my #6 it’s going to get a bi metal primary air control system. I have 2 set ups in the modeling stage. One is very steam punk the other very simple like the Hitzer and DS units

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 8:35 pm

I'm looking forward to see how you bi-metal a GW #6.

Will there be a magazine in the future for this one ?

Paul

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 9:09 pm

I don't do any of that antique or box stove.

Just shake & bake. Adjustment only when needed.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 6:17 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 8:35 pm
I'm looking forward to see how you bi-metal a GW #6.

Will there be a magazine in the future for this one ?

Paul
Yes on the mag though I’m perfectly fine using a stove pipe stand in till one is available I will never use a hand fired without hopper or mag again

For me it’s the same level of improvement as going from burning wood to coal

I’m sure there won’t be another #6 like it anywhere

Is that a good thing ? Time will tell
Last edited by KingCoal on Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 10:05 am

Oh man...that #6 should be interesting. My memory fails me...Frank is your converted square stove?

EDIT:
Duh!!!! I just clicked the notifications tab without even reading where the replies were from...that lead me straight to here and me posting. Never even considered to look above at the thread title. LOL!!! Oh gosh...I don't feel like re-reading all of this. Hey Steve, what page does all the good stuff start on...the pictures? LOL! I'm feeling lazy this morning. :lol: Joking...

...however it is hard to read a thread that's been going on for years. Takes years for me to read it all. :lol: The bad part is...after re-reading I then discover I've already read it all...some threads I've read 3-4 times...but can't remember. I take ginko biloba to help my memory, but for the life of me I can't recall where I put it. LOL!!! :lol:

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 10:20 am

I don't think anything really happened till page 11-12 but I cant remember either

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 10:24 am

page 9 gets into the layout and welding of the base chamber so pretty much from there on.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 10:51 am

LOL! Thanks.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 11:08 am

Steve,
I understand your want of a magazine. I'm lovin' how easy it makes refueling with my #6. :yes:

There's been quite a few new GW #6, #8, and 116 Oak owners have showed up since the recast magazine project was run a few years ago. You need to start bugging Paulie to stop running all over the country for new stoves and get back on that magazine project.

Maybe then I can get my loaner mag back ? :D

Paul

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 1:26 pm

HAHA, if it was just stove buying Paulie would have lots of spare time. I don't even need a real mag I can make one out of stove pipe that will last a season and replace as needed.

truth of the matter is the man works more on all kinds of things at all kinds of night and day than all of the seven dwarfs combined, and not just minor short hours odds and ends but BIG rigging projects like.....

move a full industrial shop from one location to another including disassemble and move the blast furnace and reassemble at the new place etc etc etc

the only guy I know who has retired 3-4 times and is still working like the mad hatter to establish his next private business, Paulie's Stove Rescue. there are few of us here with his vision, stamina and heart of gold

one day it will gel and we will all be the beneficiaries

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”