I Am Looking for a New Coal / Wood Stove

longislandsteve
Other Heating: wood pellet

Post by longislandsteve » Thu. Jul. 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Looking for some advice. I am looking to heat my 2000 square foot house and I presently have a 114,000 BTU boiler. How many BTU coal burner stove should I be looking at. I am looking at a Harman TLC 2000 or the DC1600 circulator. Does any have any advice.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jul. 17, 2014 3:47 pm

Hi Steve, making enough BTU's is one thing, but when using a single stove the limiting factor is usually moving the heat throughout the home. Can you tell us a little more about the lay out of the home?

Where would you be putting the stove?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jul. 17, 2014 7:00 pm

Put a stoker boiler in, you'll thank me later.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jul. 17, 2014 8:20 pm

Is the wood pellet stove just for supplemental heat? and, are you wanting to replace it with a coal stove? Best case scenario would be to tie in a coal boiler with the boiler in place (what fuel does it use currently?).. If you are just looking for supplemental heat (to replace the pellet stove) then the stoves you mentioned I believe are qualified for the job.. It depends on what exactly you are wanting to achieve. :)

tikigeorge
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6

Post by tikigeorge » Thu. Jul. 17, 2014 8:47 pm

Are you in the coal region? This will help with the cost. You have a boiler now so I would look into a Keystoker KA -6. I'm going on six years now.
Use your oil boiler for hot water in the summer and the KA -6 will meet your needs for everything in the winter.
Things to consider are: placement of the boiler and the coal bin, the window to the coal bin for delivery. I also have a grain auger feeding my boiler from the bin. I just empty the ashes, no more buckets of coal into the hopper!

longislandsteve

Post by longislandsteve » Thu. Jul. 17, 2014 10:03 pm

My floor plan is very open and I will be placing the coal stove at the bottom of the stairs and the bedrooms will be up stairs. I was considering using the central air handler to push the heat thru the house, The boiler I have now I am not planning on using when the coal stove is installed.So I need to size the stove for the whole house.I am not in the coal region. I am on long island. I was looking at either the DC circulator 1600 or the Alaska kodiak or the Harman stoker however I want to go hand fired and have a large hopper because I want minimal moving parts. Thats why pellet stoves scare me.Too much to go wrong.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Thu. Jul. 17, 2014 11:25 pm

Welcome Steve. I have a hand fired stove so I wouldn't be much help. Hoping to get a coal boiler one day. Just wishing a fellow Long Islander a warm hello.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Jul. 18, 2014 6:23 am

The Hitzer 50-93 is used by a number of members & well liked,it would be worth your time to read what you can on this model & consider it as a number 1 candidate for your heating solution.

longislandsteve

Post by longislandsteve » Fri. Jul. 18, 2014 11:07 am

I may be misleading you guys. I am looking for heat only. I am looking to install a coal stove to heat my house and turn my oil fired boiler off. The domestic hot water will be provided for, I am looking for input as far as a freestanding coal burning stove. I was told the hand fed units would require minimal maintenance.I was also told that stoves would be great however the blower is required and it will eventually begin to make noise and have to be replaced. My house is about 2000 square feet with an open floor plan. I am also looking to please the wife. So an attractive unit would be a plus. The stove will be on the first floor and in plain sight.Can I have functional and attractive ?

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Jul. 18, 2014 11:39 am

The Hitzer 50-93 is a hand fired stove,look them up via link on this forum ,look at pics of stoves thread for what it looks like in different settings. Go to The Best of Anthracite Coal Forum Topics & then to Pictures of Your Stove.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Jul. 18, 2014 12:48 pm

longislandsteve wrote:My house is about 2000 square feet with an open floor plan. I am also looking to please the wife. So an attractive unit would be a plus. The stove will be on the first floor and in plain sight.Can I have functional and attractive ?
How many gallons of oil you burned will give an idea of what your house needs.

The antique stoves are the most attractive and the best of them are very efficient. They do lack a thermostat to control the air however and also a hopper or magazine on most, two things that are nice to have.

Don't expect the heat distribution that a central system gives.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Fri. Jul. 18, 2014 1:12 pm

I have to agree with franco b, antique stoves can't be beat in quality, looks and output. Check out some base burners.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jul. 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Welcome Steve,

If you want something with style and function, these six You Tube videos of William's will give you an idea of what some of the antique base heaters can do, and how easily and quietly they will do it.

24 hours on a load of coal, and very efficient. Plus, these is a group of us working on getting duplicates made of the original optional magazine that would extend the burn time about another 10-12 hours.

And, all without need of that expensive LI electricity. I know, I lived down there. :D

Paul

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Jul. 18, 2014 6:32 pm

longislandsteve wrote:My floor plan is very open and I will be placing the coal stove at the bottom of the stairs and the bedrooms will be up stairs.
That’s where my stove is, at the bottom of the stairs. Unless I use a pedestal fan blowing across above the stove, too much heat goes up the stairs and not enough into the first floor living area. We find the pedestal fan to be like white noise, not as intrusive as the fans built into the stoves.
longislandsteve wrote:I was considering using the central air handler to push the heat thru the house

What is your “central air handler”? Is it associated with your boiler, or with an AC system, or what? If you can make it provide even heat distribution that would be very handy. Since your stove heat will be coming from an entirely different location from your old boiler, I assume it would not work right without adjustments.
longislandsteve wrote:I am also looking to please the wife … Can I have functional and attractive?

Probably not attractive enough to please a standard wife. The best you can hope for is that she will tolerate it and come to appreciate the cost savings and only grumble once a month or so. :P Unless of course you get one of the antiques and she falls in love with it.

P.S. Will you keep your current boiler available for backup heat? It's awfully handy if you need to leave the house for a few days, if you are sick and can't feed the coal stove, and so on.

SheepDog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Harmony Nut

Post by SheepDog » Fri. Jul. 18, 2014 8:07 pm

My wife seems ok looks wise with the AK Kodiak I had painted forest green and trimmed out in brass. I installed it in a corner that has a natural stone hearth which helped tie it all together.

SD

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”