Coal Gas

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Feb. 05, 2008 10:09 am

Agreed, it's nice not having the other houses right on top of you. Many people burn wood around here so the smell is not really an issue anyway. But there is always the city folk who want the country life and then complain about it.
There is a lake community nearby, when it was developed and the river was dammed in the 1920's my house was on one of the tracts of land the developers bought for the project. It was mostly summer homes until the '50's and '60's.
A few years ago the lake association tried to get the township to enact a "pooper scooper" law. This is a rural town, I can just see the farmers running after the tractors shoveling up whatever the tires tracked across the road, and then there's the horses....
Every spring during hay cutting the roads are covered with hay that blows off the trucks. I suppose they would object to that too.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Feb. 05, 2008 10:19 am

i'm glad most of my neighbors burn coal and wood hehe

europachris

Post by europachris » Tue. Feb. 05, 2008 1:20 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
katman wrote:Some people just like to have everything their way.
Sounds like the same type that buy a house next to a drag racing track and complain about the noise.
Or an airport. They just built a new subdivision right next to our little local airport, which on nice summer days is literally buzzing with activity. The approach path to one of the grass runways is right over these houses (or takeoff path going the other direction). Let's see how long it takes for these people to start bitching about the noise of little prop planes flying overhead. My Cessna 140 hardly makes enough noise to even be heard if I'm above 500 feet.

Of course, there are homes in the airpark at the airport with hangars and runway access, so if you WANT to hear planes all the time, you can have it your way too!

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Tue. Feb. 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Wow, PASTEURIZED poop. Just tell you neighbor your coal gas is PASTEURIZED before it leaves your chimney. Heated to kill the million year old pathogens nature put in the coal.

I live in a county that's still largely agricultural, but it's changing rapidly. They fought and solved the smell problem a few decades ago. Each new resident must sign a document at settlement, which says at certain times it will stink. If they object to signing they don't get their deed recorded.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Feb. 05, 2008 2:35 pm

I LOVE it!! Let the burocrats free.... sign a closing document that says that at times the air will stink... Maybe some guys should get their brides to sign such a pre-nuptial agreement too !! :lol: :lol: :? :roll: :D

Greg L

Dutchman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: rice/anthracite

Post by Dutchman » Tue. Feb. 05, 2008 3:43 pm

Boy this is funny! It always amazes me how some people think the country life is just a painting, that you never have smell, noise, dust, whatever. I had a lady complain once that the corn was too high, she couldn't see the valley off her new back porch! I made the mistake of asking whether she had noticed the field when she moved in, she said of course, but it was during planting and the corn wasn't up yet and she wanted it put back the way it was!

Nobody ever called about the coal stove though, well, give it time.

djackman

Post by djackman » Wed. Feb. 06, 2008 12:37 pm

I've noticed a slight smell if I load the stove and don't let it burn hot for a few minutes. No one has said anything (yet) but doubt they will since a few minutes of smell is better than non-stop wood stove smoke/smell.

Mabye I should complain about the stench when my neighbor has his cesspool pumped once a month.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Feb. 06, 2008 6:30 pm

djackman wrote:I've noticed a slight smell if I load the stove and don't let it burn hot for a few minutes. No one has said anything (yet) but doubt they will since a few minutes of smell is better than non-stop wood stove smoke/smell.

Mabye I should complain about the stench when my neighbor has his cesspool pumped once a month.
Once a month? Does he eat a lot of beans?

ken

Post by ken » Wed. Feb. 06, 2008 8:44 pm

lmao , once a month. ouch :shock:

coalstoves
Location: Mt.Carmel Pa. Located on The Western Middle Anthracite Field

Post by coalstoves » Thu. Feb. 07, 2008 5:09 am

djackman wrote:I've noticed a slight smell if I load the stove and don't let it burn hot for a few minutes. No one has said anything (yet) but doubt they will since a few minutes of smell is better than non-stop wood stove smoke/smell.

I love that smell, right after I shake the fire down I like to head out da yard and see if I can catch a whiff

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Thu. Feb. 07, 2008 7:03 am

If your neighbor is complaining about some anthracite gas that is virtually not existent, I will be glad to let you have some of my cannel coal. It will smoke up the whole neighborhood :nana: Burn some of that for a couple of days he will forget all about a minor odor from anything else!!!!!! bop2 :boxing2:

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 12:47 pm

get some bit. and load it up thatll givem somethin to bitch about ......................................

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 1:26 pm

Just want to come back on the Enviro Mentals on the planet. Montréal City got a wood stoves ban a few years ago, maybe 5 or 6 not shure.
They got a 5 days period without electricy this Winter, so we can all imagine the scene on the coldest times we got this year and no stove to keep the house warm :mad:

Bruce M
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1627 basement stove

Post by Bruce M » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 2:38 pm

I hate neighbors...that's all I got.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 3:15 pm

this whole thing is baffling to me, but then, I don't "get" most people anyway and simply keep to my self.

there was a period of 2 winters in the recent past that I burned wood in the Riteway because my work went SO far south that the expense of coal was out of the question and I had access to all the cut, covered, dry and stacked hardwood I could burn.

my neighborhood always smelled of wood smoke. the neighbors would stop and comment about how it caused a good, homy safe and content feeling to come back from their youth. they REALLY loved the well seasoned choke cherry and asked me to save it for the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas, they would also ask me to cut and take dead fall and structure threatening limbs and unwanted trees from their property.

that was also all the longer it took me to get over being THAT tight with cash for heating, and I came to my senses like the "prodigal son" and went back where I came from. COAL :lol: :lol:

and that brings up more confusion. I don't understand this sulfur- ish smell thing and don't have it happen. perhaps, it's a "tending" phenom. I keep 2 hods of coal next to the stove, one on each side. when I tend, I put coal from the hod into the hopper that is about 80*, by the time it gets to the fire it is right at combustion temp. I ALWAYS have some amount of visible "blues" in the firebox, so I guess i'm just burning all the gas that is emitted.

oh yeah, the peevish neighbor.

ignore his demanding selfishness, greet him honestly and do what ever little things you can, unrequested or invited, that will make his life seem happier. he will recognize it, be conscience smitten and change his mind.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”