Crane 404 - Our First Coal Burner

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Jun. 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Answered an ad in our local merchandiser for a Crane coal stove for $100, lady said it was 12x18 & taller than its width.I did not question further,thinking it was a # 44 or better yet a #88.Thursday evening I went to see this Crane stove,never saw any of these models in person,only the magnified pics on here.How do you guys make them look so big in your pics? Well, I walked into this garage & immediately knew this tiny toy stove was not a 44 or 88, a 202 ??,tag on back said its a 404 ? so little !! The lift gate on our shop truck made easy loading,drove home & unloaded it into our shop.
6-12-2014 056.JPG
.JPG | 118.6KB | 6-12-2014 056.JPG
6-12-2014 054.JPG
.JPG | 156.1KB | 6-12-2014 054.JPG
6-12-2014 060.JPG
.JPG | 116.2KB | 6-12-2014 060.JPG
6-12-2014 057.JPG
.JPG | 121.3KB | 6-12-2014 057.JPG
6-12-2014 055.JPG
.JPG | 137.7KB | 6-12-2014 055.JPG
6-12-2014 059.JPG
.JPG | 144.9KB | 6-12-2014 059.JPG
6-12-2014 054.JPG
.JPG | 156.1KB | 6-12-2014 054.JPG

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Jun. 13, 2014 10:36 pm

Posting pics is almost as hard as tending the owb in a blizzard. Stove is in good shape,good grates,good fire pot,good baffle, center glass is cracked.We plan to put this stove in our cold living room where we had a schrader wood stove for 5 winters.It will hopefully be capable of making this room a warm spot to go to in cold weather.We have missed not watching the fire for the last 8 winters while the owb kept things warm. This stove is so tiny but we are hoping it will help to make this 12 x22 room warmer.We are impatient to try it but are in no rush for cold weather again.We actually had our shop heat on thurs morning as the outside temp was 60* with rain.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Jun. 14, 2014 8:10 am

Great score a 404 for $100 bucks!!!! That is an excellent stove and should keep you nice and warm.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

coalvet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Model 404, Harman MK I
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: NG Boiler

Post by coalvet » Sat. Jun. 14, 2014 8:35 am

Nice find! A 12x22 room will be a piece of cake for that stove.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Jun. 14, 2014 8:56 am

Anyone have any idea how much coal this stove can realistically burn for one season if we push it fairly hard ?

coalvet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Model 404, Harman MK I
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: NG Boiler

Post by coalvet » Sat. Jun. 14, 2014 9:01 am

If pushed hard probably between 2 and 3 ton. Use nut coal!

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sat. Jun. 14, 2014 10:11 am

Wow.... Great score! Sorry I've a little busy lately... Does this stove have the blower with it?
You essentially bought this for its scape value and it looks to be in good shape! Reverse the fire pot install each year to keep its heating even ... Review some crane threads in the section for other tips... When I'm on a reg computer I'll ask and suggest some more ... These guys here are great and will help you get her cookin!

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Jun. 14, 2014 10:28 am

Yes,it has a blower,we forgot that angle when taking pics.This stove was used to heat a 900 sq.ft. house,it had been installed in their basement. I pulled the fire pot out when it was sitting in our shop,it came out fairly easy.It is a heavy fire pot to wiggle out a small hole without mashing several fingers.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Jun. 14, 2014 11:28 am

Congrats! I am sure this stove will serve you well!

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Jun. 14, 2014 1:20 pm

dcrane,you said I should review some crane threads,i think I have already read them all thru ,but will be reviewing the 404 threads again to make the wood burning to coal burning transition easier.We are looking forward to the fire view from the 3 dimensional viewing area this stove has.We gave up on TV several yrs.ago,no time & no programs of interest for us.The 3 high definition windows should be very entertaining especially when the outside temps drop & winds increase . For the cat owners,how do you keep your cats from jumping up onto stove ? Do you keep them off the stove yr around ? Ours will likely use the top for a perch in the summer time ,we don't want them burnt when we start heating in the fall. We did not have indoor cats back when we had a wood stove in the house. Wait.... my 57 yr old memory bank just warmed up to the fact that we had a few cats in the house with the wood stove for 2 winters. Not sure how some of the younger cats will process a cold stove turning hot .

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Jun. 14, 2014 2:34 pm

When cold you could put something on there that makes a poor landing spot. When hot you could put a spaced out screen temporarily that would get hot but not searingly so. they will learn quickly.

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Sat. Jun. 14, 2014 2:57 pm

Congratulations. You'll love coal. Don't worry about the cats. Just make sure you have a chair for them otherwise you will have no where to sit and enjoy the stove. Matt

Attachments

100_4427.JPG

Enjoying coal stove

.JPG | 81.1KB | 100_4427.JPG

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Jun. 14, 2014 9:16 pm

The first topic I started & I left out important info in my introduction.We have been looking for a coal stove for about 8 months but had no money to spend for one over winter. My kidneys went on vacation last fall (without my permission or knowledge of it ) ,felt terrible all winter,lots of pain,didn't get much work done in my shop,therefore little money came in. Beginning of March we found the issue & started on some herbal treatments which made a noticeable improvement on the second day . Energy level & drive have gone up since then & just in time for our shops busy season. I've kept watching for a decent deal on a stove & June 10 about 9:30 p/m I saw the ad. Called the seller about 8 a/m June 11,left a message on their machine,dialed their number several times during the day & finally got an answer at about 6:15 p/m.The lady said they were going away & it would not suit them until 6:30 p/m June 12 :!: :what: I had to wait another 24 HOURS to see & purchase my stove,it was hard waiting,i even pm'd dcrane for support but he was on vacation. Finally the time came to go pick up my stove. It started raining when I got there,got soaked loading & unloading . That is why the flannel shirt in the pic I did not know that my wife took till later .Sorry about the double truck pic,my goof in unfamiliar territory. Now that the stove is in my possession,my anxiety has settled & I am content to enjoy the summer weather . I have no wish for cold weather to arrive soon so I can fire my stove.If next winter is anything like the last one there will be plenty of coal burning time available then. Besides,i still have to go over stove & clean it good,might polish but no painting,will need to hook up to the chimney too.All that sounds easy but we are at a 2 week back-up in our shop so not much time for extra projects. All available extra time goes into our garden.... Oh but I just remembered,i have to wait till heating season starts to hook up the flue pipe... well, guess I will try to learn all I can about this stove & coal burning till then. Thanks for the many kind comments.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sat. Jun. 14, 2014 9:44 pm

I have never known the cat who did not swiftly understand and respect the value of a good home heating stove... cats will be fine, so don't worry!

Its fantastic that your firepot came out, this is a sign the stove was handled well over its lifespan! I do know, even in a perfect stove how tricky the firepot can be and after a few hundred of them you will stop mashing your fingers toothy The firepot is likely the most expensive item as well as the item that can fail over time with over-firing (if you never allow your surface temp to go over 650 your firepot will remain ok, you can push it past that and the stove, grate, etc. can take it BUT the firepot cannot over the long haul).

as ive told others...i would smooth up the outside of the pot with a grinder slightly so she slides in and out easier, I would remove the whole grate system while the pots out and give it good looksie, the piece that goes through the wall of the stove can be tapped squarely and lightly to fall into the stove if its tight (clean it, get some good high temp grease and smear it on it before putting it back in).

if you really wish to get fancy you can take the time to clean up and smooth each piece of the grate system with a grinder, when you take the gasket off the doors you can lightly smooth the surface of inside of the door, etc. (all these things make a more "machined" quality and less abrasive little "nubbies" from the foundry).

the glass is ceramic (not to be confused with woodstove glass or fireplace screen glass)... ceramic is expensive! each piece for that stove is about $30.00, I would suggest you remove the retaining straps and buy new 8/32 or 10/32 screws (im not sure which you have as we changed to 10/32 in 1984)... you can get them in stainless or something nice for a couple bucks. take note now because this will save you a major headache... when your re-installing the retaining straps... center each piece of glass with the self stick glass gasket on each peice, lay the straps down and then screw each screw EVENLY as you go... you want to snug those straps ONLY to the point of "snug enough" that the glass does not move or cant be slid back and forth with your hand.... if you go to much, you will start hearing the dreaded poping noises.... "pop"... ohhhh *censored* you see a glass brake so you quickly try to save the others and loosen.... then "POP" goes another one and by the time your done your wife is sending you out the house with another $100 bill to buy new glass :fear:

your blower is likely a 2 speed fasco (you will only ever need the low speed), value about $200... if its the variable speed then start doing cartwheels because that baby is about $500 now! clean it, take compressed air and blow it out, check the grommets on it for failure which leads to wire failure... it should last you another 30 years if cleaned each year!

check the removable baffle plate (the upper baffle near the flu pipe)... this wants to be in fairly good condition and not warped to a point where exhaust gasses can go under the middle of it (chances are, if your firepot is not warped your baffle plate is OK too). a warped baffle plate can lead to a warped firepot because of excess heat created at exactly the wrong place (dead center rear of the liner pot...its weakest point).

OK... thats a few quickies for you... wish you all the best and as you need help we are all here for you!

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Jun. 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Thanks, dcrane, I pulled the baffle & fire pot out when we got into my shop,the baffle is slightly warped on the bottom. 3 pound hammer should fix that,if I read another thread right you advise welding a small plate into the rear bottom of each end of the baffle so coal can't work into the back of the baffle.I'm planning to straiten the baffle & turn the bottom up,top down & put the less heated part into the hot seat. The outside of the fire pot is already smooth,we will try to precisely follow your advise on the glass install. I have not yet studied the fan,there is a cord with a dial on it that came with,will try to check this out tomorrow.Appreciate all the info,will be going over the 404 threads again too.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”