D.S. Machine Stove

jeromemsn
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 90 dvc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman elite fireplace insert

Post by jeromemsn » Tue. Feb. 05, 2008 10:51 pm

Now that there be a stove! I like that! And that hood gives me an idea :idea: I kinda play with metal for a living and I think I'm going to build me a fume hood like they use above the cook stoves in restaurants to circulate the air in the house. the cold air return would be the make-up air and a small blower to move everything around, couple of limit switches to turn it on and off, hmmmm got some sketches and fab to do. Thanks for the great pics, and welcome to the forum!

Amishdude

Post by Amishdude » Wed. Feb. 06, 2008 6:22 am

jeromemsn wrote:Now that there be a stove! I like that! And that hood gives me an idea :idea: I kinda play with metal for a living and I think I'm going to build me a fume hood like they use above the cook stoves in restaurants to circulate the air in the house. the cold air return would be the make-up air and a small blower to move everything around, couple of limit switches to turn it on and off, hmmmm got some sketches and fab to do. Thanks for the great pics, and welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the welcome. I have never seen a setup like this before, but it's what the Amish company said we needed for electric-free heating. Hope they know what they're doing. Sounds like you've got yourself a little "work" to do too. :D Good luck.

europachris

Post by europachris » Wed. Feb. 06, 2008 8:38 am

Do they have a model that will burn bituminous coal (keep the top load door but eliminate the hopper)? If so, it would look just like Berlin's bituminous burner he built.

Amishdude

Post by Amishdude » Wed. Feb. 06, 2008 8:53 pm

europachris wrote:Do they have a model that will burn bituminous coal (keep the top load door but eliminate the hopper)? If so, it would look just like Berlin's bituminous burner he built.
I really can't answer that question. They only had 2 models in the showroom and they were very similar.

Linc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Linc » Thu. Feb. 07, 2008 4:47 am

Did the stove come with the sheet metal housing? It would be nice if there was an outlet in NY for one of there stoves. :)

coalstoves
Location: Mt.Carmel Pa. Located on The Western Middle Anthracite Field

Post by coalstoves » Thu. Feb. 07, 2008 4:50 am

Thanks fer posting pictures it looks like a Harman/Kodiak crossbreed good price . How do they instruct you to use it as a Hopper feed or standard handfired

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Feb. 07, 2008 5:16 am

neat!

Amishdude

Post by Amishdude » Thu. Feb. 07, 2008 11:40 am

Linc wrote:Did the stove come with the sheet metal housing? It would be nice if there was an outlet in NY for one of there stoves. :)
Yes, the housing was part of the unit from the manufacturer.
Last edited by Amishdude on Thu. Feb. 07, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amishdude

Post by Amishdude » Thu. Feb. 07, 2008 11:41 am

coalstoves wrote:Thanks fer posting pictures it looks like a Harman/Kodiak crossbreed good price . How do they instruct you to use it as a Hopper feed or standard handfired
Unfortunately, they did not give any instructions at all. As soon as I get the returns installed, I'm going to try to fire her up. Wish me luck!

katman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Other Heating: Harman PB 105 Pellet Boiler

Post by katman » Thu. Feb. 07, 2008 1:49 pm

Welcome, and enjoy the quieter lifestyle. That's a nice looking stove. Where is the showroom?

Amishdude

Post by Amishdude » Thu. Feb. 07, 2008 1:50 pm

katman wrote:Welcome, and enjoy the quieter lifestyle. That's a nice looking stove. Where is the showroom?
I purchased mine at an Amish heating shop called Coalway, in Apple Creek, Ohio.

Amishdude

Post by Amishdude » Wed. Feb. 13, 2008 8:15 pm

Finally got the returns installed and got the nerve to fire this thing up. IT IS WONDERFUL. After 35 years of nat. gas heat, I had forgotten how wonderful coal heat really is. Have been burning about 1 bag per day heating an 1800 sq. ft. home and doing a nice job of taking the chill off of the full basement as well. I am really liking this! :D

pelletsrevil

Post by pelletsrevil » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi all,I know this is an old thread but I am currently thinking about getting a D.S Machines coal stove. If you have one do you like it? I am intersted where you got one installed for $1295. I am looking a 96,000 BTU hopper model and they want $1599 just for the stove.Does anyone know of any dealers in NE PA. I am currently looking at the dealer in White Mills but will travel to save money.
Last edited by pelletsrevil on Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 4:44 pm

Thanks for sharing the photos. That's a good looking rig. I think you got a real fair deal.

tbilyeu

Post by tbilyeu » Sat. Oct. 18, 2008 7:54 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Amishdude wrote: All I have to do now is to re-learn how to fire and maintain a coal stove. Last time was 30 years ago when I was 13 years old. I hear things have changed a bit since then. :?
Just remember the coal is 30 years older too, so its probably a lot grumpier. :)
if you figure out how to fire the stove and keep it burning let me know

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”