Does Anyone Use Pea Size Coal in a Pot Belly Stove ??

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
biggreen1

Post Mon. May. 19, 2014 3:57 pm

I use pea size coal in my AA130 so that is what I would like to use in a Pot Belly stove. Does anyone do this? I imagine the grate needs to be smaller. Any recommendations on brand? I'd like to find a smaller stove with a flat surface on top.
Thank you, BG

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler (Back-up)

Post Mon. May. 19, 2014 5:51 pm

I have with my Vogelzang Pot Bellied stove and it works, and works well. It really produces a lot of heat.

I typically use Stove Coal only because I get incredibly long burn times, and because my house is tight insulation wise, the stove coal keeps the temps from being over 90 degrees to a more comfortable 80-85 degrees!

If you have some pea coal, or know of a cheap source of pea coal and have a pot bellied stove, I would not hesitate to use/buy it. But if I had to buy coal at regular prices, I would use stove coal.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

biggreen1

Post Thu. May. 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Just bought a little pot belly. It seems to have had very little use. The grates work well and are in good shape but like I thought the spaces are to large for pea size coal. I think a extra grate with smaller holes just laying on top of the old one would work.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”