Stove Road Trip.

Merc300d
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood 6 base heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Too many
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oil base board

Post by Merc300d » Fri. Mar. 28, 2014 9:23 am

Aside from the the stove shops in the area. He's the very best next thing. He's probably has just as much in stoves as something of them. Especially base heaters. And he's very personable. Good guy.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 4:13 pm

I just got the ok from Wilson to post his phone number.

If anyone wants to contact him about buying an antique stove, or having stove work done, call 508-763-8941.

Paul

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 6:48 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:I just got the ok from Wilson to post his phone number.

If anyone wants to contact him about buying an antique stove, or having stove work done, call 508-763-8941.

Paul
I almost posted it the other day but I thought he'd drop in and give it out (he's posted it in a few threads I've seen).

Did you get the #6 assembled and in place yet?.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 7:36 pm

Pancho wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote:I just got the ok from Wilson to post his phone number.

Paul
I almost posted it the other day but I thought he'd drop in and give it out (he's posted it in a few threads I've seen).

Did you get the #6 assembled and in place yet?.
Pancho,
I haven't finished the living room where it's going, but I'm working on getting everything I need to hook it up. Got stove pipe and thimble. Just have to chop a hole into the chimney. The range in the kitchen is on slate, but I could inset it into the two linoleum floors they put over the original maple flooring so that the slates are flush. Nothing to trip over, or ledge to have to stand on while cooking.

For the #6, it'll be out into the living room, on a hardwood floor, with doorways on each side. I was looking for something thinner like hearth boards. That is until I saw the prices. :shock:

I have some large pieces of one inch slate in the basement, left over from the covers of the cold air chase to the old coal octopus furnace. I think I'll wrestle one upstairs and that will be my stove hearth.

In the meantime, I've got some of the bright bits unwrapped and sitting on a table in the TV room where I can look at them and dream of the day I'll be looking at them with the glow of a coal fire coming through those mice windows.

Here's a pic of some of the shiny stuff. The bonnet on the left is from the #6 - the one on the right is from my Glenwood Modern Oak 118. I still have to brush the excess polish out of the details the 118 bonnet.

Paul

Attachments

DSCN3778.JPG
.JPG | 218.6KB | DSCN3778.JPG

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 7:47 pm

So beautiful Paul, waiting for the fire :)

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 7:48 pm

NOICE !! those finials are awesome. I also really like the GW ash pit doors with the plated draft spinners.

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 7:58 pm

Paul.....how many chimneys do you have in your house?. Will you be running the #6, the 118 and the cook stove all at one time (that's an incredible thread on the cook stove by the way)??.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Pancho wrote:Paul.....how many chimneys do you have in your house?. Will you be running the #6, the 118 and the cook stove all at one time (that's an incredible thread on the cook stove by the way)??.
I have three chimneys, but the large fireplace is on the outside wall end of the living room - opposite end of the living room from where the #6 will be going. I'm leaving that fireplace chimney alone for now.

I bought the 118 about five years ago and was going to use it, until I saw William's YouTube videos about his #6. While continuing with the 118 project I was also keeping an eye open for a base heater. In fact I came close to buying the Wings Best that Wilson has, but after seeing the plate steel base pan he made for this #6, plus being a Glenwood fan, well, . .

I'll probably finish restoring the 118 and then sell it. Between that, the coal hot water heater in the basement and a never-used wood stove, I've got more stoves than I need.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Mar. 29, 2014 8:40 pm

KingCoal wrote:NOICE !! those finials are awesome. I also really like the GW ash pit doors with the plated draft spinners.
Steve,
There's another one exactly like those on the loading door too. It's not in the picture because I had the mica out to clean the wood smoke off it from the stove's test runs.

Not all the #6 I've looked at had them, but this #6 has the cast iron secondary air ring around the top of the firepot. Just like William posted pictures of the blue jets coming out of the ring holes. This has new mica and I want to keep it clean to see if I can get pictures of this stove doing the same blue jets as William's.

And a nice little extra touch with those Glenwood rotary dampers. There are stopper nubs cast into the doors for all three dampers to limit the travel of the damper handles to either full open, or fully closed and anything in between. They're not necessary to operate the stove, but it's a nice touch - along with all the raised design work in the castings.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Apr. 02, 2014 10:57 am

Since this #6 has the original brick lining, I thought I'd see just exactly how much coal the firepot holds.

I have a 20 lb. scale that can read to ounces. Checking it with known weights, it seems that it's quite accurate.

Since the coal buckets don't sit well on the scale, I zeroed out the scale for a 2-1/2 gallon plastic bucket I have and started filling it with nut coal. Turns out that bucket holds 20 pounds of nut.

It took two of those 2-1/2 gallon buckets full - dumped in the firepot - plus another 10 pounds mounded up to fill the pot to where chunks don't roll down to the edge.

Without the barrel blocking the view, here's what the #6 original firepot looks like with 50 pounds of nut coal in it (give or take a few ounces).

Paul

Attachments

DSCN3816.JPG
.JPG | 214.9KB | DSCN3816.JPG

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Apr. 02, 2014 1:05 pm

cool, i'm actually surprised that you could get that much coal in there with he original lining.

did you ever do this with the 118 pot ?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Apr. 02, 2014 1:20 pm

Steve,

No, I haven't tried filling the 118 pot, which as you know is much larger. I don't have a liner in it yet.

But when I get it lined, with a 1 inch thick liner it would still be 2-1/2 inches wider at the top and 2 inches deeper than the #6. My guess is about 70 pounds of coal for a lined 118 pot.

Paul

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Apr. 02, 2014 7:50 pm

how thick is the wall of the cast pot alone ?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Apr. 02, 2014 9:05 pm

About one inch thick.

And it's red-ish clay brick, much like the old terracotta pipe used as chimney liner. Not like the light tan brick linings of my Glenwood range.

Paul

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Apr. 02, 2014 9:35 pm

KingCoal wrote:how thick is the wall of the cast pot alone ?
sorry, wasn't very clear. I was asking about the wall thickness of the cast iron pot itself.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”