Stove Road Trip.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 9:11 am

This past weekend, the girl friend and I decided to take a road trip east. Partly to shake off some of the winter doldrums, but mostly to see some Glenwoods I've been drooling over ever since member Wilson (Wilson's Woodstoves) posted pictures of them.

So we arrived at Wilson's mid day Saturday, and were welcomed by Wilson, who is a very good host.

I had brought along a wish-list of parts I needed for my other Glenwoods, so first stop was into his barn to start the parts search. I had to go slowly just to be able to take in all the stoves and parts. And not just stoves. Wilson also collects antique cars. He seems to like 60's Chevy Impalas best.

At one point I was standing there for a good 15 minutes, surrounded by base burners and parts as we were discussing his method of replacing the broken cast iron bottom pans with welded steel pans, when I realized, there was a truck parked in there too ! It's so easy to get lost in looking at all the stoves and parts covering every available surface and hanging from walls and beams, . . that even me, a guy who makes his living restoring antique cars wasn't noticing them ! :oops:

What is as equally as fascinating as the massive amount of stoves and parts, is Wilson's memory of what stove parts he may have, where to look for them, and what make/model of stove each part fits as he digs through the many buckets, drawers, and boxes of parts. The man has an encyclopedic memory !!!!! :shock:

After a couple of hours looking through his outbuildings, then it was time for the real treat for me. We went in to see the many stoves in his house - one of which is my favorite. Each of the many rooms has at least one stove hooked up, ready to go. Many of the rooms have more than one stove and most of the stoves are pre 1900 to as far back as the 1850's. The artistic casting details on them are just amazing.

But, the real highlight for me was getting to see that little 1879 Glenwood Sunny kitchen range he has. It is small - a bit smaller than even my Sunny - but still large enough to do all the cooking and baking one would need. For someone who doesn't have a lot of kitchen space, it's a perfect size. I feel like a giant when I look at the picture the girl friend took of my drooling in front of that range.

And right next to the range, where I expected to see the larger Glenwood C range that I had seen in pictures he posted, was a restored Glenwood #6 base heater instead.

By the time we got in the house, the Sunny had run out of wood fire. But, rather than restart the Sunny, Wilson had the #6 loaded up ready to go. So, with just opening the direct draft damper, the MPD, and the toss of one match, the #6 was quickly running on wood. Within less than a minute of striking the match, he flipped the damper to indirect draft and the very slight whistle of air being pulled through tight fitting doors and dampers was replaced with total silence, only broken by the occasional snap of burning wood.

Then we went back out to another section of the barn to show me a Wings Best base heater. While I was trying not to drool over that, I looked next to it and there was the Holy Grail of Glenwood base heaters. A nice, original number 8. And what a monster it is in person. The width of the nickel plated firepot skirts have to be seen to believe just how big that stove is !!!!!! But, it was already sold. :cry:

Of other interest to me because of the Glenwood Modern Oak 118 back pipe project, I got to see Wilson's modified pattern to prevent warping of the baffle plate that is inside the back pipes for a 116 he is restoring. It really is a very simple solution. I can see that it will work much better than trying to make a pattern by building up a warped plate with Bondo. Plus, it can be applied to the 114 and 118 and any other back pipe stove with similar baffles to the Glenwoods.

So after many hours of Wilson graciously giving us a tour through house, outbuildings, it was decision time for me. I had gone there in hopes of finding another stove - preferably another Glenwood, . . . and I did.

Here's a small sampling of pictures of some of the stoves. It would take many hours to post pictures of even just most of the stoves Wilson has. But, the last picture is the stove that followed me home packed up in my station wagon. If it seems "Weir-ed" not to say what it is, it's only because I'm "Taunton" ya's ! :D

And I'd like to thank Wilson again for taking so much time out of his busy day to provide us with a wonderful and fascinating tour.

Paul

Attachments

DSCN3675.JPG
.JPG | 216.2KB | DSCN3675.JPG
DSCN3697.JPG
.JPG | 222.8KB | DSCN3697.JPG
DSCN3700.JPG
.JPG | 227KB | DSCN3700.JPG
DSCN3701.JPG
.JPG | 216.2KB | DSCN3701.JPG
DSCN3746.JPG
.JPG | 222.3KB | DSCN3746.JPG

dhansen

Post by dhansen » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 9:29 am

Is it the No.8 in the "first" photo that is packed into the wagon?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 9:30 am

Sounds like an OUTSTANDING day trip SB--thanx for the post :)

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 9:48 am

dhansen wrote:Is it the No.8 in the "first" photo that is packed into the wagon?
Dennis,
Nope, . . the 8 was sold by the time I got there. :cry:

But, I was thinking you should have been there to see all the recast 116 back pipe parts and Wilson's simple fix to prevent new baffle plates from warping. You need to talk to Wilson about the back pipe castings for that 116 of yours ! ;)

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 9:50 am

freetown fred wrote:Sounds like an OUTSTANDING day trip SB--thanx for the post :)
It was outstanding Fred.

And as we were going there I couldn't help but think that you would have gotten an extra kick out of it too. Guess what the name of the town is where he used to live just west his place now. :D

Paul

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 10:24 am

I have a feeling the house was built before any of the stoves, a real beauty! Thanks for posting I would have needed the week end to take in all the great stoves.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 11:37 am

michaelanthony wrote:I have a feeling the house was built before any of the stoves, a real beauty! Thanks for posting I would have needed the week end to take in all the great stoves.
Yes, mid 1700's, if I remember what Wilson said. A very nice center-hall colonial that he's done a lot of work on. I'd love to have a place like it !!!!!

Not sure you could see it all, even in a weekend.

I missed seeing a lot of the things that I later saw in the pictures the girl friend took. Much of it was right next to my head, but I was so busy ducking under stove parts I missed it.

Here's one she took that I missed seeing, but probably not missed bumping into with my fat head. :roll: When I saw this picture, my first thought was that if there was ever a "Glenwood Cathedral", this is what it would look like up in the bell tower. :D

Paul

Attachments

DSCN3652.JPG
.JPG | 219.1KB | DSCN3652.JPG

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 1:57 pm

Grumpy old Manville?????Oh come on now, ya got me settin on the edge!!! ;)

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 2:05 pm

freetown fred wrote:Grumpy old Manville?????Oh come on now, ya got me settin on the edge!!! ;)
I knew it would be too easy for ya. :D It's Freetown, Massachusetts. Sound familiar ? :D

Paul

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Excellent road trip! Thanks for sharing. *smile*

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Sounds like a great day. I'm still waiting to see what you bought....

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 7:24 pm

warminmn wrote:Sounds like a great day. I'm still waiting to see what you bought....
I still unloading it, so I haven't reassembled it yet, but here's one more "hint". :D

Paul

Attachments

DSCN3745.JPG
.JPG | 201.5KB | DSCN3745.JPG

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Wow, that's cool man!!
I would enjoy a visit to a stove shop like that!!
Thank you for sharing your adventure.. :D

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 8:15 pm

Sunny Boy,

If you don't mind me asking.....what vehicle did you stuff that stove into?. I too will be heading East very soon to pick up a very similar but slightly larger stove and I want to make sure I bring a vehicle it'll fit in.

Oh, and I will verify that Wilson is a wealth of information and VERY helpful too. I can't wait for my trip!!!.

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 9:07 pm

Thanks for posting this Paul! Im going to guess you got a No 6 base burner?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”