Southern Colorado Coal

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
Walsen
Hand Fed Coal Stove: old school cylinder
Other Heating: Wood

Post Wed. Mar. 12, 2014 11:23 pm

I live in a town in southern Colorado called Walsenburg. At one time it was coined "the city built on coal". Well the mines are long gone but we have huge piles of "tailings" or coal waste from the old opetations. There is also some exposed seams along cliffs along river beds. Is either of these suitable for fuel?. From what I have read it is all bitiminious in our area.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Berlin
Site Moderator
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

Post Thu. Mar. 13, 2014 3:49 pm

The exposed seams will probably be quite suitable. The tailings might burn, but, they are likely very high in ash and contain mostly rock - shale and slate.
Burning western Pennsylvania Bituminous in WNY using model 77 stoker furnace. BITUMINOUS equiptment: 2 hand fired stoves of my own design, Many Combustioneer Model 77 stokers, stokermatic furnace, Many Will-Burt stokers, & and Two Iron firemen.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”