Rope Gasket Sizes

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
BrantSFGDS
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Shenandoah
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous, Anthracite
Stove/Furnace Make: Shenandoah
Stove/Furnace Model: FP-I

Post Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 9:17 am

Does anyone make a 9/16" rope gasket? I replaced the door gasket in my stove because the stove is from the 80's and the gasket was pretty crispy. Anyway, I used a 1/2" because a 5/8" is way too big but the 1/2" isn't exactly correct either. I was having some air leak issues, especially at the top of the doors. I ground down a sloppy weld that prevented the right door from closing correctly and I adjusted the latch so the doors would close tighter and this has helped tremendously. I can now get an overnight burn with wood and I'm getting a complete burn with anthracite as well. I guess it's sealing good enough at the moment but I can't help but think that a little thicker gasket is what it really needs. Any thoughts?

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 9:38 am

I've always found that if I want it thicker I push it together as I install it ,if I want it thinner I just pull it harder as I install , that worked for me.
David **** John14:6 Jesus saith unto him,"I am the way.the truth,and the life;no man cometh unto the father,but by me." Wise men sought for Jesus when he was born,wise men still seek Jesus today. Seek & you shall find.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 9:49 am

Definitely go with the 5/8--like wh said--stretch it some & really force your latch shut--she'll form fit itself--always more--never less==funny, that's what she said last night. :clap: toothy
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

freetown fred

Post Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 9:52 am

PS---ya might want to unadjust that latch ya played with!
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

Visit Hitzer Stoves

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Post Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 11:04 am

Freetown, if you have to put gaskets around it first your not saying much for yourself. :whistle: :shh:
"Any fool can criticize, condemn & complain & most fools do." Benjamin Franklin

BrantSFGDS

Post Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 11:31 am

I tried scrunching the gasket as much as possible when I installed it but it still wasn't enough. I tried stretching some 5/8 while I was at the store but it didn't have much give. Maybe a different brand of 5/8 rope would work if it was more stretchy. I had to adjust the doors so they would close tighter for now but I would definitely have to readjust if I stuffed a 5/8 in there. I may try it but I just don't think it will fit.

freetown fred

Post Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 12:48 pm

She said that also--BUT--if you're using this---it stretches--pull the sucker--this all sounds REAL weird don't it, BUT it works :clap: toothy
Attachments
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG

BrantSFGDS

Post Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 1:14 pm

I will look around for some different brands. The stuff I found was bulk roll at the local hardware joint, which was all I could find at the time. Anyways, I'm assuming that no one makes this stuff in 9/16".

Visit Hitzer Stoves

freetown fred

Post Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 1:28 pm

Not that I've seen. You're just fightin that 5/8?? That rope in the pix was also on a bulk roll at a Tru-Valu

BrantSFGDS

Post Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 1:42 pm

The rope that I found here was dark grey and really didn't have any give to it in 5/8. The 1/2 had a little give and was much closer to the size of the old rope. The only white rope I found was in the little kits but they were all too short and cost about 3 times as much. I'll look around in the next town over and see if I can find a different brand of bulk rope. That white rope looks a lot smoother than the grey stuff I used, it was kind of shaggy. Probably a different material.

freetown fred

Post Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 1:46 pm

YES, I've got some of the grey & it is not as pliable as the white. The Tru-Valu I got the white has been an old Ma & Pa store forever up here, hopefully you can track some down:)

MarkV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine DS-1500WH
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk nut

Post Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Around here, there are a couple fireplace shops that have a bigger selection of door rope than the home centers or hardware stores. If you don't have a stove dealer near you might try that.

There must be more than one variety of gray rope, because the last time I bought gray it was the stretchiest/squishiest I'd seen. I remember I really compressed it when installing, and it still was too easy to shut and latch the door. I replaced it after one season.

nortcan
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Post Fri. Mar. 07, 2014 11:12 am

You only need to gain 1/16", certainly possible to get it with most rope gasket having 1/2" (8/16") compressed rope.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”