Chubby Love

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 1:36 pm

Dubie

How is your "new" Chubby doing the past 2 weeks? Do you feel like you have her "dialed in" by now? I would imagine you probably do as Chubby's are about as easy as it gets. Idiot proof I say and I am living proof of that as well! :D

I hope you will keep us posted on how you are doing and if you need any help or have questions don't be shy about asking them. With literally 1000's of years of coal burning experiance on this site solutions and answers will be found if needed.

Congrats again on you awesome looking install and WELCOME TO THE CHUBBY CULT! :lol:

dubie
Hand Fed Coal Stove: chubby

Post by dubie » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 3:29 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:Dubie

How is your "new" Chubby doing the past 2 weeks? Do you feel like you have her "dialed in" by now? I would imagine you probably do as Chubby's are about as easy as it gets. Idiot proof I say and I am living proof of that as well! :D

I hope you will keep us posted on how you are doing and if you need any help or have questions don't be shy about asking them. With literally 1000's of years of coal burning experiance on this site solutions and answers will be found if needed.

Congrats again on you awesome looking install and WELCOME TO THE CHUBBY CULT! :lol:
Still happy as ever :) The first couple weeks were nice except a few times that little bugger ran us out of the room. 85 degrees in the living room was a bit much... I got the process down pat now and even with the wild temps outside, I am managing quite well with its heat control... Our oil heater no longer runs so this will be a huge saving $$$. Just found a good coal supply too from "south Tamaqua" mine here in PA. So far so good. The stuff is burning quite well....

Virginia Woodworker

Post by Virginia Woodworker » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 4:56 pm

I live in Port Huron Michigan. I have a small 1 story 2 bedroom home that is about 857 sq. ft. I am thinking about putting a Chubby in my living room area on the fireplace hearth. Do you think it will bake me out or can I control it in such a way as to keep comfortable temps?
Thanks, Barry

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 6:13 pm

Virginia Woodworker wrote:I live in Port Huron Michigan. I have a small 1 story 2 bedroom home that is about 857 sq. ft. I am thinking about putting a Chubby in my living room area on the fireplace hearth. Do you think it will bake me out or can I control it in such a way as to keep comfortable temps?
Thanks, Barry
Barry

Once you learn the stove, you should have no problem controlling the temp on the stove. I can run my Chubby as low as 225F. The true issue is getting the heat to move around the house. Is your home "open", floor plan wise?
Last edited by ONEDOLLAR on Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 7:02 pm

Virginia Woodworker wrote:Do you think it will bake me out or can I control it in such a way as to keep comfortable temps?
Had my Chubby down to 189 degrees and pulling .02 draft on an idle this fall. Couldn't even feel the heat coming off of it. Sipping coal!
Last edited by tcalo on Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 8:53 pm

Barry,
I think a 'Chubby' will work fine. Like $1 said, it's all about air distribution. Open floor-plans are naturally easier to heat, but strategic placement of small fans will heat the house evenly. I lit our Chubby Thursday evening, and I run it at 250*-300*, with the blower rheostat on a low setting. It uses 15-20 lbs./day. Outside temp-25*, inside-70*(living room, kitchen, dining room. 2 bedrooms and bath-65*) This is a 1954 single story, 1450 sq.ft. ranch. Hope this gives you an idea of Chubby's heating strength.
Cheers

Scottaw

Post by Scottaw » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 10:21 pm

Great looking install, hoping a chubby or chubby jr is my next stove, these pictures might sway the wife enough.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sat. Nov. 15, 2014 10:47 pm

You want pics, you got it!

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 170.9KB | image.jpg

Virginia Woodworker

Post by Virginia Woodworker » Tue. Dec. 09, 2014 5:35 pm

thanks folk. I do not have an open floor plan other than the living dining rooms. The kitchen is straight off the dining room though so it will get heat fairly easily I believe. You have to turn left from the living room to get to a very small hall way with a bedroom on either end of it. I was also wondering if running just the blower fan for the furnace would draw the heat from the living room where the Chubby would be located through the cold air returns and then back again so some of the heat gets in the basement.

Have not purchased the stove yet still waiting on the total amount of cash. I had a DS omish stove in the past in another home and liked it but it is too much of a stove for this little home.

Thanks
Barry

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”