EPA to Make Coal Ash Hazardious Waste

jhenryw49
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Nightingale
Coal Size/Type: Nut sometimes pea
Other Heating: gas

Post by jhenryw49 » Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 5:41 pm

I have been reading the story about the Virginia coal ash spill, in the water. In the end of the article it mention that the government EPA would be making coal ash a hazardous waste in 2014. Has anyone else followed this story. I have had my Nightingale coal stove for 35 years would like to keep it, but dealing with disposal of the ash as hazardous waste is to much.

Jack

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 5:43 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't heard anything yet, but with this administration anything is possible.

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Last edited by SWPaDon on Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Hazardous waste disposal is prohibitively expensive. If this filters down to the residential user, it could be a killer for burning coal.

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 5:56 pm

lsayre wrote:Hazardous waste disposal is prohibitively expensive. If this filters down to the residential user, it could be a killer for burning coal.
Yes it could............I hope it doesn't come to that.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 8:01 pm

lsayre wrote:Hazardous waste disposal is prohibitively expensive. If this filters down to the residential user, it could be a killer for burning coal.
while I agree that a haz. waste classification could be very bad indeed, the overall tone and expectation of each of these sources seems to be expectant of a continuation of NON Haz. status.

am I reading this correctly, or missing entirely ?

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 8:02 pm

I think you are reading it correctly. Especially the last link I found.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 8:05 pm

I wonder how this would effect us, as in disposal vs storage. You could dig a hole and store it? If it came down could one find away around it?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 8:11 pm

Yeah, I'd dig a hole and store it... :lol:

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 8:14 pm

grumpy wrote:I wonder how this would effect us, as in disposal vs storage. You could dig a hole and store it? If it came down could one find away around it?
That's a really good question.

If I were to make a guess....................I would say that IF the EPA were to classify coal ash as hazardous, it would end all coal usage immediately for homeowners, even though the articles I found only reference power plants and such.

Homeowners couldn't afford the disposal fee, but with power plants, they could.

It's just that "electricity prices would necessarily skyrocket"...............That's a quote from Obama.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 8:25 pm

i thought the second paragraph of the Bloomberg article was pretty straight forward on the industries expectations. the hazmatmag article makes the point that a declaration to continue the present regulation ( non haz. ) would be more than enough to satisfy the call for a "final" rendering.

in this type of case, the historical records show that governing bodies most often take the path that protects GNP output while requiring the least amount of effort and not really making any new ruling. for the time being, Industry still has WAY more clout and influence than the Greenies.

besides there is still time for a statement to be made to the effect that "although there was/ is expensive remediation to be done to remove the coal ash sludge from the river and other places, the content and characteristics of the sludge itself was / is of no hazardous concern."

the "electricity prices would nec. skyrocket" quote is the tell all, they know full well they would never survive the sudden curtailment of coal production or use. this one destabilizing economic slap to the U.S. public would have dire consequences and not just in election booths.
Last edited by KingCoal on Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 8:31 pm

Dig a hole & store it? Where could one do that? Wouldn't that be illegal?? :clap: toothy fkn idiots ;)

Attachments

IMG_0004.JPG
.JPG | 72.3KB | IMG_0004.JPG
009.JPG
.JPG | 28.5KB | 009.JPG
Last edited by freetown fred on Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 8:33 pm

They refer to it as coal ash but I think that it is the by-product from the power stations or fly-ash. For a couple of decades the plants I hauled out of mixed theirs with lime & I think some type of cement to create pos-a-tec which was approved by Penn Dot for road beds & other fill areas. The fly-ash if untreated is unstable & prone to landslides, the waste chemicals they list are in the coal already, the burn may concentrate them more but they are already there. All those years that almost every city home heated with coal & that type ash when used for fill & compressed becomes stable as heck.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 8:37 pm

freetown fred wrote:Dig a hole & store it? Where could one do that? Wouldn't that be illegal?? :clap: toothy fkn idiots ;)
ah duno, du thems got ash snifin' dawgs or enythin ?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Mar. 03, 2014 8:45 pm

This may be years down the road, but t will eventually become interesting when the government says that anyone with coal ash on their property must promptly remediate it.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”