Please Help Me!

rocky
Other Heating: country brand wood stove

Post by rocky » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 9:51 am

I'm about to switch from wood to coal and am driving myself crazy trying to decide on what size stove I need. My current wood stove has a 2.1cf firebox and is rated at 72,000btu. I figure this rating is probably way more than real world numbers. Also think I need to take into account the up and down nature of burning wood compared to the steady heat of coal.

My current stove has kept us warm although we need to stay right on top of it when it gets near or below 0f. I'm beginning to think I should size my new stove to roughly the same dimensions of the top of my current stove thinking that I'm basicly heating a steel box, weather I use wood or coal to heat the box really don't matter as much as the size box I'm heating. Am I correct or looking at it all wrong?

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 9:55 am

More info is needed. How big is your current house? Insulated? New or old windows, Your location.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 9:57 am

Welcome to the forum!!!!! There are plenty of people that are glad to help out here in a friendly way and providing some more info will help immensely.

Some info on house size, layout (split level, ranch, etc), insulation, location, wind exposure etc will help. Also if you want to stay independent of power. What is 'normal' heat system...oil hw baseboard, propane furnace, electric baseboard, etc.

Other ?'s......Budget for doing this? Long term installation, like you are never planning on moving or short term, like you probably will move in 5 years and want to take it with you.

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 9:59 am

In a previous post, you mentioned The Hitzer 50-93. That would be a suitable replacement for your current wood stove. Fire box size between wood and coal really isn't suitable for comparison. Heating load and BTU output of the stove should be compared.

rocky

Post by rocky » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 10:08 am

House is 1500sf in southern WV, not tight but not an old farm house either.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 10:09 am

I agree with Carbon 12, based on the Info you provided..

rocky

Post by rocky » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 10:16 am

Carbon12 wrote:In a previous post, you mentioned The Hitzer 50-93. That would be a suitable replacement for your current woparison. Heating load and BTU output of the stove should be compared.
You're correct, I was set on the 50-93 till I got to overthinkin things;) Now I'm worried that it may be to much stove.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 10:22 am

That's what is nice about coal.. It can be idled way down to get thru a warm afternoon without over heating the house. You can also crack open a window on a warm day.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 10:29 am

Being in Southern WV, are you planning on burning the local bit coal or trucking in anthracite?

Carbon12

Post by Carbon12 » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 10:29 am

The Hitzer certainly can be idled down. I believe you can remove the hopper and burn wood only in the shoulder months, not that you'd really need to.

rocky

Post by rocky » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 10:31 am

I don't know how to compare BTU output. The epa output on my current stove was basically got using kiln dried wood with draft wide open. Not a usable number. Knowing that I'm realistically not seeing but a little more than half that? I'm scared that the 50-93 will run us out of the house on a 25 to 35f winter day.

rocky

Post by rocky » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 10:35 am

titleist1 wrote:Being in Southern WV, are you planning on burning the local bit coal or trucking in anthracite?
I would "much" rather burn anthracite and would be willing to go get it this summer. Just need to find the closest place that has it. Can't find it here in the middle of bit country.

Carbon12

Post by Carbon12 » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 10:38 am

You needn't be concerned. You can idle it down so it produces very little heat. It's also possible to decrease the size of the firebox using refractory bricks. Only fill and burn half the grate area if you can't idle down enough, or open a window :D In a hand or hopper fed stove, it's really easy to idle down and I'd rather have a little extra capacity rather than not enough.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 11:04 am

R, have you looked at the HITZER 30-95? How broke up is your house as far as getting heat where you need it?

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Mar. 02, 2014 11:24 am

Rocky Lad,Relax!! Come On In! Take Your Hat And BlowSuit(One-Piece Arctic Insulated Device With Mandatory Leg Zippers) Off and have a Hot Coffee ! Take A Load Off and let's talk completely about what we're going to be Heating with Der Anthracite and how best to accomplish that from Start To Finish. I know your antsy about a lot,so lets' get rid of the Ants!

For Openers,this isn't "The Matrix" where you can get sucked into the Net through your Computer or Phone Dataline! We ask the type of questions that we do only to help give You The Best,Competent Advice Available. Now we know you live in Southern West By God Virginia! Good Place,Better Folks! We know you've got a 1500SQ' Home that's neither a Draft Queen nor a Buttoned Up Tight Princess! Can You Fill Us in on the rest:

Type of Home-Ranch,2-Story Farmer With Additons,Colonial,Etc.?

Basement,Slab Or Crawlspace.?

Previous To Woodstove Type Of Heat:Fuel-Wise-- Pro-Pain,Heating Oil,Electric or even Natural Gas(Say from a Property Well that quit giving the Free-Stuff)..... Heat Distribution Type-Forced Air,Hot Water,Old Steam Through Radiators,and Baseboard of any Type.

Chimney Type And Height,How many Flues?-Masonry(Brick,Block) or Stainless Triple Wall

Where Is current Wood Stove Located And How Well Is Heat Being Distributed Throughout The Whole House?

Would You Like To Have Your Domestic Hot Water Heated By Your Coal?(High Family Demand for HW,or is it just You?)

Do You Have a Place Set-Up To Store Your Coal To Use It Easily,whether it's Bagged or Bulk?

That'll Help Us To Help You! I Apologize if someone's beat me to all of this already,as I type slowly,and have had to do a few other things while composing this Whopper! :up:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”