Fine Tuning the Burn...??

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
Lightning
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size

Post Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 9:00 pm

You wanna fine tune that burn?? You need a permanently installed manometer to start with, a couple stove thermometers and possibly a barometric damper.. Does your stove have adjustable secondary air controls, Mr Crow?

Visit Hitzer Stoves

ShawninNY
Stove/Furnace Make: Waterford/penn royal in garage
Stove/Furnace Model: 1994 Erin

Post Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 9:06 pm

SWPaDon wrote:I'm also one of those crazy fellas that rips the pipe off the furnace while it's burning :shock: and dumps the soot into a bucket that I have handy. Total length of my flue pipe is about 24 inches. Including the elbow and adapters to go from 6 inch stove to 9 inch flue.
At least your safety conscious ! :shock: :D

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 9:16 pm

Ya got a bunch of possiblies there, I've been running my stove for six seasons with nothing but an MPD, 3 co detectors & yrs of common sense--I'm not advising anyone to do it my way anymore then I expect to read that a bunch of the available add-ons are the WAY to fine tune your stove--CH has a hand fired & seemingly a great deal of common sense--he stated that since working on his slide vent, things are going well----PS, I don't think a burn can get any more fine tuned then I have mine. Just an old farmers thoughts on basic hand fired stoves.
Lightning wrote:You wanna fine tune that burn?? You need a permanently installed manometer to start with, a couple stove thermometers and possibly a barometric damper.. Does your stove have adjustable secondary air controls, Mr Crow?
Last edited by freetown fred on Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

Crow Horse
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Golden Flame
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: kero

Post Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 9:22 pm

Lightning wrote:You wanna fine tune that burn?? You need a permanently installed manometer to start with, a couple stove thermometers and possibly a barometric damper.. Does your stove have adjustable secondary air controls, Mr Crow?
No secondary air controls. Only vents are on the ash door........
All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 9:24 pm

ShawninNY wrote:
SWPaDon wrote:I'm also one of those crazy fellas that rips the pipe off the furnace while it's burning :shock: and dumps the soot into a bucket that I have handy. Total length of my flue pipe is about 24 inches. Including the elbow and adapters to go from 6 inch stove to 9 inch flue.
At least your safety conscious ! :shock: :D
Of course. Don't wanna burn my fingers, so I wear gloves. :)

SWPaDon

Post Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 9:27 pm

Sounds like you are learning your stove well, CH. Don't do the things I do, I've been doing this for years and the pipe cleanout takes me less than 5 seconds. I still don't advocate that anyone else do what I do.
These guys in here really know their stuff, and they will steer you right.

ShawninNY
Stove/Furnace Make: Waterford/penn royal in garage
Stove/Furnace Model: 1994 Erin

Post Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 9:41 pm

Lee, I have not installed my Mano yet, so I'm not burning as efficiently as poss. My question is would having over fire air have the same effect as a baro ? My baro is set with the weight over .06 my stove calls for .06 so in running stronger but less than I was running with a closed pipe!

Crow Horse

Post Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 10:06 pm

Warm & a controlled burn (so far)......
Attachments
door plate 002.jpg
door plate 003.jpg
All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Visit Hitzer Stoves

SWPaDon

Post Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 10:07 pm

Looks great.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 10:08 pm

Now that looks REAL nice CH :) Nice job on the plate
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

Lightning
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size

Post Sat. Feb. 22, 2014 3:49 am

ShawninNY wrote:Lee, I have not installed my Mano yet, so I'm not burning as efficiently as poss. My question is would having over fire air have the same effect as a baro ? My baro is set with the weight over .06 my stove calls for .06 so in running stronger but less than I was running with a closed pipe!
No.. A barometric damper keeps draft pressure steady. Secondary air (over the fire air) helps burn off gases at the top of the coal bed during ignition of a fresh load but then can be cut back to just a sliver. The two things can influence each other, but they don't have the same effect. Setting the weight on the baro is a starting point but it may not be accurate. You need the mano for better setting of the baro. I think -.06 is a bit strong. I know many stoves say its needed but anywhere between -.03 and -.04 I've found is the golden zone..
Crow Horse wrote:Warm & a controlled burn (so far)......
Looks like you got that under control my friend.. Nice work!! :D

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Post Sat. Feb. 22, 2014 7:06 am

Your plate modification looks great and the deeper coal bed will give you extended burn times! Keep working to seal the air leaks so air mainly enters from below (and at the rate you choose) and you will be there.
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Post Sat. Feb. 22, 2014 7:19 am

And remember, no stirring those burning coals. :)
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

Crow Horse

Post Sat. Feb. 22, 2014 8:42 am

Update - The learning journey continues. With the vent issue resolved, this morning I came down to a nice bed of coals, shook down and added fresh coal. Sweet! One more issue to address is the shaker handle is badly worn where it mates to the stove. Easy fix, just need to find the correct size pipe at work.
Changing over to coal is like getting a new dog (or woman). Learning all the idiosyncrasies takes a wee bit of time and mistakes will be made from time to time but in the end, the two become one...... (and you're warm).......
All Good Medicine,
Crow

titleist1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Post Sat. Feb. 22, 2014 8:54 am

Nice work on the plate and tightening up the vent! Coal is a different beast than wood thats for sure, but I think the benefits far outweigh the learning curve effort. Do you have any plans to fabricate the missing hopper for the stove?

Whats the travel time up your driveway these days? :) Back down to less than 2 hours I hope!
I drive a VW TDI, heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have two vintage JD diesel tractors....
The EPA just loves me!!

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”