New to Coal, Some Direction Needed...??

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:12 pm

Crow Horse wrote:The steel plate should be no problem to install. The only issue I see would be loading it.
As FrancoB says, you can load through the top. You might want to bolt a more robust handle to the hatch – that one looks flimsy and hard to hold. The hatch is probably gasketed to make a tight seal. The steel plate across part of the door should make the stove work a lot better. Four inches depth at the front like you have now is not really deep enough for a good coal bed, and it’s no fun having coal roll out the front door either. Is there tall firebrick on the sides of the stove, like we can see on the back? If not you might consider installing some. Your new steel plate is sort of expendable, because you can always make another one if it eventually burns out. But the steel sides of the original stove may need protection.
Crow Horse wrote:Anyone have pics of a similar hopper setup? I can't visualize what it would look like and how it would function.
You have probably seen dog or cat water dishes where you mount a large soda bottle upside down, and when your pet slurps up the water in the dish, new water feeds down from the bottle. A coal hopper is something like that. It would be a steel box with no top and no bottom, that hangs down below the hatch. You fill it with coal, and as coal burns and the level in the firebox drops, fresh coal falls down from the hopper. The primary design consideration is, the bottom edge of the hopper should be at the same level as the desired top of the coal bed. (Actually a little above the top of the coal bed, so enough coal can feed past the hopper edge to maintain proper coal bed depth.) Since you do metal fabrication, you could make a hopper as well as the front plate. But I suggest just starting with the front plate, get the stove working well that way, and then you may or may not need the hopper. Without the plate across the front door, a hopper is almost a necessity given the shallow front of your stove. With the plate, a hopper is more of a convenience than a necessity.

Crow Horse
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Golden Flame
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: kero

Post by Crow Horse » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Using coal has opened a whole new world for me. The stove is loaded, damper is barely open and the ash vents are closed. It's 73 in the house, almost too warm.

No pun intended but I'm pretty stoked about this. And to boot, several years ago I was gifted with a Coal Chubby and my intention was to use it in my shop. Never did, but now I'm motivated to install it when the weather is more co-operative....

I opened the top lid and it's a straight shot to the coal bed. I did open the damper to create more draft before I did this. And yes, that little handle is terrible. I'll have to make another one at work....

Yes, there is tall brick on the sides as well....

Warm is soooooooo nice........
Last edited by Crow Horse on Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:31 pm

CH, check your PM's top of page for pix or just go back to page 3 here

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:35 pm

If it's warm/hot with all that shut down, you got air coming in somewhere--front door, hopper door, ash pan door--somewhere--do the dollar bill test--insert dollar close doors dollar bill should pull hard if at all--my guess would be your hopper door--do some flat gasket & even set a block on it

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Welcome to the forum CH! I think you'll be able to get some longer burn times following the advice given, especially with that extra bar across the door. With the size of the firebox you are working with you may only get 8 hours of meaningful heat out of the stove before needing to shake down and reload. As temps get a little warmer and you can run it a little cooler you may get 10 - 12 hours out of it.

I'd suggest checking the sliders to make sure they aren't allowing more air in around the openings than you want. I have read a couple posts on here over the years from folks with similar air controls that found their sliders weren't sealing as well as they thought.

Thought I'd mention that if you do see the coal fire real low before you get a chance to re-load you can liven it up by adding a couple sticks of firewood before adding more coal.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:38 pm

Crow Horse wrote:Using coal has opened a whole new world for me. The stove is loaded, damper is barely open and the ash vents are closed.
I must be missing something here. I'm assuming the damper you're referencing is the MPD on the stove pipe. Not sure of the intake system on this stove, but if your ash vents are the only method of air under the grates, how can the fire stay lit, if they're totally closed?

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:40 pm

With 3-4" bar blocking front door loading,if you can't load thru the top hole,make a coal chute to hold in thru the door & then dump into the chute,coal will slide into stove. Top hole loading should work tho.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:43 pm

titleist1 wrote: Thought I'd mention that if you do see the coal fire real low before you get a chance to re-load you can liven it up by adding a couple sticks of firewood before adding more coal.
This is exactly what my buddy does with his combo stove. After a night of sleep, his coal bed is "almost" out. And his firebox is big enuff, that he just throws some wood on it in the morning to get the coalbed relit.

ShawninNY

Post by ShawninNY » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:47 pm

Crow , what part of LI I'm out in in patchogue Suffolk Co , how far north or west are you ? It sounds awesome ! keep at it load it up and you'll get 12 hrs at least . You can try a PC of flat stock across the door , you'll be able to get a lot of coal in there without it ( I use a bucket 1/2 full and throw it into stove using underhand arc and it will pile pretty high the stove downstairs I use a coal hod !good luck and keep us posted on your progress ! Shawn

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:48 pm

CH, is there any kind of adjustable draft flap in the lower back of the stove anywhere?

Crow Horse

Post by Crow Horse » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:52 pm

joeq wrote:
Crow Horse wrote:Using coal has opened a whole new world for me. The stove is loaded, damper is barely open and the ash vents are closed.
I must be missing something here. I'm assuming the damper you're referencing is the MPD on the stove pipe. Not sure of the intake system on this stove, but if your ash vents are the only method of air under the grates, how can the fire stay lit, if they're totally closed?
I'm only guessing, but obviously air is getting in. I think the "draft" is very strong and really pulls air through these leaks. The damper (flue?) is on the vertical pipe above the stove......

Crow Horse

Post by Crow Horse » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:57 pm

freetown fred wrote:CH, is there any kind of adjustable draft flap in the lower back of the stove anywhere?
Nothing on the back of the stove.....

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:59 pm

OK, then YES you need to replace some gaskets, but if she's not running away, it's just something to put on your to-do list:)

ShawninNY

Post by ShawninNY » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 7:08 pm

You might be able to adjust the slide tension on the ash door does that center knob turn? If not look at back of ash door and check the ash door gasket . If you can't slow down the air leaks try using foil wrapped over door than cut a few small slits and add more if needed go slow coal likes time to find its groove close that mpd while she's running only open it when your starting or tending

Gian4

Post by Gian4 » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi CH
I'm in central NY. Not sure where your located but if near the Oneida area I'd be happy to help. The chubby would most likely be a major upgrade over your current stove and if it's ready for prime time would be worthy of the shut down and install. Let me know if there is anything I can do to directly help you, I'd be happy to do it.
Gian4

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”