New to Coal, Some Direction Needed...??

Crow Horse
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Golden Flame
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: kero

Post by Crow Horse » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 4:18 pm

The "magic" door on top is what? And how does it function. I've searched online for info on this stove and I believe they are no longer made. I think they were made in UT. No joy on the manual......

Crow Horse

Post by Crow Horse » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 4:30 pm

I want to thank everyone for chiming in and offering advice and information. I appreciate it more than I can say.
Burning coal comes at a time in my life where I thought things would be getting easier for me. Not so and the hunt for firewood (I live in a very rural area) wears on me especially if I have to chase it in the winter. Lugging my logging gear into the rear portions of the property with snowshoes is no fun and dragging firewood out via sled is exhausting. Burning coal is so much easier in so many ways.
The other night I got this stove to a point where it heated the entire house. I was surprised at that and it did manage sustain itself till the morning but I couldn't build on what was left and bring it back.

Wanna Bee
Location: You wouldn't believe me if I told ya! Virginville PA

Post by Wanna Bee » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 4:31 pm

Crow Horse wrote:The "magic" door on top is what? And how does it function. I've searched online for info on this stove and I believe they are no longer made. I think they were made in UT. No joy on the manual......
The advertisement that I linked says it was made in NY.
I saw the place you are referring to, I don't think that they made it. Think it's just a coincidence with the names.

As far as the lift off plate... What is under it? Can you see the fire?

ShawninNY

Post by ShawninNY » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 4:33 pm

That looks like a hopper load door , the hopper fits inside the stove and holds coal in a magazine basically when coal is burnt fresh coal drops down ! Do those grates move? You might get better results burning pea/ nut mix - more coal in bed load it up man and William has a point!

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 4:34 pm

What part of the country are you located?

Crow Horse

Post by Crow Horse » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 4:44 pm

Upstate NY.....somewhere between obscurity and oblivion....

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Lots of Forum members up that way. I'm sure someone would be happen to help you first hand, if you like.

Crow Horse

Post by Crow Horse » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 4:54 pm

ShawninNY wrote:That looks like a hopper load door , the hopper fits inside the stove and holds coal in a magazine basically when coal is burnt fresh coal drops down ! Do those grates move? You might get better results burning pea/ nut mix - more coal in bed load it up man and William has a point!
The grates do move and there is a removable handle on the front that will shake the grates. The only size coal I've been able to find locally is rice and chestnut. Other sizes might be available not so locally but would require them to deliver it. With all the snow we've been hit with, a delivery truck wouldn't make it up my driveway. Heck, on Friday it took me 2 1/2 hours to get up my driveway (4x4). Not fun between digging and other recovery tricks. That said, I'm stuck using what is available locally in bags...
And for what it's worth, I'm a former L.I.er.....

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 5:04 pm

For a quick/cheap/temporary "fix" would it work to put a 1/2" thick x 3" wide metal bar across the front to raise the height of the coal bed ? Will that mess up the heat convection? Seems to me that would help to deepen the coal bed & lengthen the burn times , just asking.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 5:06 pm

Chestnut size coal is good. You need at least an 8 inch deep bed. Make up a plate of 1/2 inch steel and 4 inches high to go across the front door opening to act as a banking plate. It might have had one originally. You should have no trouble after that and the stove should hold 40 pounds of coal or more.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 5:23 pm

CH, you are not having a draw issue--you need to do what windyhill suggested--1/2"X3" piece in that door opening to deepen your coal bed--I'm bettin that will get you up to or around a 12 hr burn--who knows--hopper, not hopper--whatever--get through the winter safely & warmly--NUT is what you NEED to use, rice or whatever you said you got with the nut does nothing but smother the fire bed-- aho my friend--by the way---Freetown is desolate :clap: toothy

Crow Horse

Post by Crow Horse » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 5:34 pm

The steel plate should be no problem to install. The only issue I see would be loading it.

Anyone have pics of a similar hopper setup? I can't visualize what it would look like and how it would function. Being that the stove is fired up now I can't open the top plate (or could i?) to take a look inside...

Freetown is desolate

In my book, desolate is a good thing. I spent too many years working in NYC and now I'm over the moon living in my slice of heaven. Coyote, bear, fishers, bobcat, redtails and barred owls make wonderful neighbors....

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 5:44 pm

You can open that top to load. As long as there is draft no gasses will exit. The banking plate only covers a part of the front opening and there should be enough room to load there too.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 5:56 pm

Crow Horse wrote:
In my book, desolate is a good thing. I spent too many years working in NYC and now I'm over the moon living in my slice of heaven. Coyote, bear, fishers, bobcat, redtails and barred owls make wonderful neighbors.
Welcome CH.

I'm a transplant from down that way too. Yes, critters are good neighbors, . . . plus, now, . . . I don't have to waste a half tank of gas finding a parking space ! :D

And welcome to coal heat. I'm sure that if anyone can help you get the most out of your stove, it's the great folks on here. ;)

Paul

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:10 pm

CH, hoping these pix give you a general idea-- plus a couple personal ones-- make sure you OPEN that MPD all the way no matter where you load from--what's the dimensions on that hopper hole?

Attachments

IMG_0007.JPG
.JPG | 39.3KB | IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
.JPG | 34.1KB | IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
.JPG | 46.7KB | IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
.JPG | 63.1KB | IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
.JPG | 51.9KB | IMG_0001.JPG

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”