Weather Man Said It's the Last Day of Brutal Cold!

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Feb. 12, 2014 8:32 am

Well,what a cold nite ! -2* here this morning,no wind, filled the owb with wood at 11P/M,had to add some at 5A/M.Looks like the last short sleep nite for this winter,...hopefully !! Sure am glad to see the wind forecast has been down graded from 50mph gusts to just 30mph,which in our case will still be brutal on the wood supply.But ,we make it thru this cold spell, & whatever this storm dumps on us,the temps will gradually rise,we can sleep longer again with owb loading times of 8-12hrs instead of 6hrs. Spring can't arrive soon enough,what a brutal long winded winter this one has been.With the temps we've been having & the snow cover on the ground with more to come it just might be April till things thaw out good. Spring is just around.... :arrow:

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Fri. Feb. 14, 2014 5:45 pm

34 yesterday, 27 today.....bringing wood to the house in a t-shirt.

Ruuumor goin' round that it'll be upwards of 50 and rain for the later part of next week. Gunna need to start builing my ark.

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Fri. Feb. 14, 2014 5:55 pm

Yeah, went down to the basement and double checked that all the sump pumps are working. Lots of snow piled up around the house and forecast to be in 50's next week. After 2 more rounds of snow, of course. :mad:

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Sun. Feb. 16, 2014 6:45 pm

Pancho wrote:34 yesterday, 27 today.....bringing wood to the house in a t-shirt.

Ruuumor goin' round that it'll be upwards of 50 and rain for the later part of next week. Gunna need to start builing my ark.
....apparently the a-hole weatherperson changed their mind. 5 - 7" of snow tomorrow evening. :mad:

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Mon. Feb. 17, 2014 8:23 am

Hmmm, I think he goofed, -9° here near Lake Ontario this morning at 6:00am

Randy

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Feb. 17, 2014 8:52 am

10* this a/m,no wind,sunny,2-4" of snow forecast tonite,lots of snow & ice on ground already,looking forward to 40* forecast for next 3 days,might get rid of some of the snow &ice.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Feb. 17, 2014 9:11 am

Minus 12 here in the hills. :mad:

Glad I'm not up on top of them, . . like some poor souls, huh Fred and Dave ? :roll:

Paul

BPatrick
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Post by BPatrick » Mon. Feb. 17, 2014 10:08 am

OK this is horse crap. We didn't get any of the mid 30's he predicted...I've been bitter this whole week. We'd get within 12 degrees of the forecast. We got lake effect snow 3 times last week and 3 inches sat evening through Sunday. Then in the afternoon, Sunday, it started again. 13 this morning, it didn't get over 22 yesterday and now today we're supposed to get another 4-6" again. I'm officially giving up weather...they can kiss my *%s! I'm going to where a jacket in the morning and put a lighter jacket in the truck in case of some surprise and we get to 40 degrees. I waste too much of my time watching these hot chicks on the local and weather channel lie to me. I'd rather a stripper lie to me, I expect her too!

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Mon. Feb. 17, 2014 10:21 am

Yeah, but they'll only lie to you for folding money. :lol:

BPatrick

Post by BPatrick » Tue. Feb. 18, 2014 9:52 am

OK, now this is ridiculous. The 1-3" of snow got upgraded to 4-6" of snow with high winds. We got at least 6", the weather forecast in the early afternoon says snowfall rates of 2" per hour and whiteout conditions. Well this morning I will need to get plowed out or use my tractor. With howling winds last night we have 3-4' drifts all over the driveway. Along with the whole crap load of other snow that fell this season, it blew around and now looks like we had a blizzard.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Feb. 18, 2014 10:08 am

i was just about to post and see how you got along. seems you got it alittle more then right down here.

i'm some what more sheltered being 2 blocks into the west side of town. not as exposed as you.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Feb. 18, 2014 11:49 am

Minus 13.7F this morning. That doesn't sound warm to me! I am SO glad that I don't burn oil!

BPatrick

Post by BPatrick » Wed. Feb. 19, 2014 9:10 am

Kingcoal,

It literally looks like the blizzard/storm we had twice this year. Even though yesterday the roads cleared up north; the snow pack is so large it doesn't even look like a dent has been made in the snow. I'm still waiting to get plowed out of 3-4' drifts, I just drive the big 4x4 and park 2/3 down the driveway. Now for the next 2 days it's going to be warm and tomorrow supposed to rain like crazy, the next flood is coming, I'll have to build an ark!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Feb. 19, 2014 12:16 pm

So looks like a few days of 40's then back to below average temps for as far as I can see... Its been a cold winter.. Wow.. :(

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 19, 2014 1:03 pm

BPatrick wrote:Kingcoal,

It literally looks like the blizzard/storm we had twice this year. Even though yesterday the roads cleared up north; the snow pack is so large it doesn't even look like a dent has been made in the snow. I'm still waiting to get plowed out of 3-4' drifts, I just drive the big 4x4 and park 2/3 down the driveway. Now for the next 2 days it's going to be warm and tomorrow supposed to rain like crazy, the next flood is coming, I'll have to build an ark!
If we get rain on top of this packed snow, a lot of barns, stables, and out buildings are going to be coming down - like happed around here about 15 years ago. The packed snow can hold a lot of rain water. That one morning of fog and light rain killed a lot of farm animals.

Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”