Englander 28-3500

karlsson

Post by karlsson » Sat. Jan. 26, 2008 11:07 am

Does anyone know what kind of coal I am supposed to use in this stove? It's supposed to be a wood/coal stove
but I can not find any info about how to burn coal in it. I hope someone can help me.
Thanks.

coalstoves
Location: Mt.Carmel Pa. Located on The Western Middle Anthracite Field

Post by coalstoves » Sat. Jan. 26, 2008 11:15 am

karlsson wrote:Does anyone know what kind of coal I am supposed to use in this stove? It's supposed to be a wood/coal stove
but I can not find any info about how to burn coal in it. I hope someone can help me.
Thanks.
Time to go out and start looking for some wood, that thing don't burn coal

karlsson

Post by karlsson » Sat. Jan. 26, 2008 11:23 am

I called the manufacturer up and the told me that I could burn wood and coal in it. :?

coalstoves
Location: Mt.Carmel Pa. Located on The Western Middle Anthracite Field

Post by coalstoves » Sat. Jan. 26, 2008 11:39 am

karlsson wrote:I called the manufacturer up and the told me that I could burn wood and coal in it. :?
:doh: You should have got more info off them then while you had them on the phone, cause all available documentation I just looked at define it as a WOOD ONLY stove . As a matter a fact they don’t show any coal burning units, they make some MULTI fuel units and by multi they mean pellets, corn or friggin cherry pits . It seems to get some discussion over at the hearth.com site .

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Jan. 26, 2008 12:12 pm

Please post in correct forum, this wasn't even close. :P Feedback isn't for coal or any other heating related issues.
What's this button do? How do I...? How come....? Please no questions about coal, this is for forum questions, suggestions or comments only.
Moving it to it to the hand fired coal forum considering the manufacturer told you it would burn coal. Post picture of it, one of the big differences between a coal and wood stove is coal needs air from the bottom which makes woods stoves unsuitable for using coal.

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Sat. Jan. 26, 2008 1:32 pm

I looked on their site and their manual and it says "for wood". I didn't see any place it even hinted of coal. Maybe I missed it. :confused:

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Jan. 26, 2008 2:14 pm

I looked the the manual as well, it does mention a bottom draft....

coal nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by coal nut » Wed. Jan. 30, 2008 6:00 pm

That stove is not designed to burn coal only. Years ago they stated you could burn a wood/coal mix in it, but now they don't even recomend that. It was intended to use only bitumenous (soft coal) not anthracite and wood. You would never get anthracite to burn in that thing. They recomended only a small amount of coal in relation to wood. The stove did (not sure if it still does) have a bottom air draft screw damper that would aid in burning the coal.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Jan. 30, 2008 7:49 pm

The stoves the Home Depot sells are made by Englander. I believe I was looking at this one recently. The HD sign proclaimed it as a wood/coal burner. The website says "wood".

http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/28-3500.html

mttroymilitia

Post by mttroymilitia » Mon. Feb. 09, 2009 8:18 am

I own an englander 28-3500. it burns wood great. I tried to burn wood & coal together, and it does work, BUT I think that the coal combustion is incomplete. I am left with huge clinkers. even if almost all of the combustion air is coming from underneath. I do not recomend it.

smokeyCityTeacher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95

Post by smokeyCityTeacher » Mon. Nov. 02, 2009 10:49 pm

How long of a burn does that Englander give you when you are cranking it close to full bore ?

Will it really heat a 3K square area ?

<quote>I own an englander 28-3500. it burns wood great.</quote>

Docusn1

Post by Docusn1 » Wed. Jan. 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi all im new to the group first post, there seems to be some questions regarding this stove. I have owned mine for 11 years now and have used it quite regularly, it has been a very exellent stove for me no problems at all. The first person asked about burning coal in it. The older ones like mine are rated by the tags on it for wood/coal use and my old manual states to use soft coal with a boxwood fire, start wood fire let it get going with top draft control fully open after a bit with good embers base pile coal in a pyramide shape in the center of the burn box, then close off the top draft control and open bottom draft control and regulate from there. I belive englander has stopped some time ago rating this stove for coal use and yes they have omitted the coal usage part from the newer updated manuals. I have never tried it but would like to give it a shot just to see how it works, thats how I came across this forum. As far as heating a house with wood with this unit it works great, when I first purchased this stove I was living in a 3000sqft home built in 1862 with little to no insulation and it worked great would last about six hours per load unit was in basment. I have since moved into 1200sqft home and bought the stove with me I have to open the windows if I load her right up its usually a 80 in my home but it eats wood. I have found only 1 place near me that has soft coal for 15 cents per pound I tought about trying some with the wood, does anybody have any suggestions as to I have never tried this before. My dream is to get a stoker and buy hard coal and be warm and dream about not having to lug cords of wood around LOL. If I can help with any more answers about this model feel free to ask. Thankyou, Mark

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Jan. 13, 2010 6:40 pm

From the manual.

http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/manuals/28-3500.pdf
A. Building a Fire
NOTICE: Do not operate unit with bottom (ash) door open.
Operating unit with ash door open can cause over-firing and damage
the unit, and will void any warranty.
Except as specified in “Operating Instructions,” do not operate unit
with fuel (main) door open.
BURN WOOD ONLY

Docusn1

Post by Docusn1 » Thu. Jan. 14, 2010 1:04 pm

From the previous manual 4/04 for my stove :
Note: If you are using coal, go through the same procedure until step
number six and mix in coal with the wood. When burning coal, the
bottom screw damper will be the primary draft control, as coal prefers
the combustion air passing through it.
Note: Be sure to spread the coal toward the back of the firebox.

As I stated before the newer stoves may not be rated but the older ones were. The person who started this thread should look at the listing tag on the stove it will have the UL listing on it for what type of fuel is on it mine says wood/coal but mine is old I have had it for 11 years. If someone would like a copy of the old manual it is in PDF form and I will be happy to email it to you. Thankyou, Mark.

docdryden

Post by docdryden » Sun. Feb. 07, 2010 11:37 am

Here is a link to some good info on the englander 28-3500...
**Broken Link(s) Removed**

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”