Estate Heatrola Intensi-Fire Air Duct Part Question

douglasldennison
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Estate Heatrola Intensi-fire Air Duct

Post by douglasldennison » Fri. Jan. 24, 2014 10:52 am

I have an Estate Heatrola Intensi-Fire Air Duct stove, and sitting atop it (now) is what I believe is some kind of door. It's stamped Part No. 1395. I need to know what this part is and where it goes. Any ideas? I'm posting (I hope) a pic of the stove, and a pic of a door that looks kind of like the one I have, although mine's symmetrical, with a little hook on each side. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

Estate Heatrola Intensi-fire Air Duct.jpg
.JPG | 9.6KB | Estate Heatrola Intensi-fire Air Duct.jpg
coal stove door.jpg
.JPG | 13.1KB | coal stove door.jpg

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Jan. 24, 2014 11:31 am

Pictures of the stove with all doors and the inside would help. I am not family with your stove but it does look like a top loading door. What does the oval door that you mentioned look like? Could it be a spare part the previous owner had and through it in the mix? I don't know if your stove has an indirect exhaust, if it did I would think it was a damper to allow you to run it in direct draft when building and reloading a fire and then indirect once the fire was established. Hope this helps but I think more information about your stove is needed and hopefully a member with the same one will join in.
Another thought is could this hang inside the front door and swing inwards allowing you to load coal and block smoke from entering the home?

douglasldennison

Post by douglasldennison » Fri. Jan. 24, 2014 11:46 am

Thanks, Michael. I'll take and post a pic or more tonight or tomorrow. I'm thinking it's some kind of hinged door; your last suggestion makes sense. The door is on the front. There's are three ways to open it: lever near the top on the left side; foot pedal on the left side, and a lever on the door itself on the front. On the right is a shaker bar (I think it's called) that shakes the grate on the inside to make the coal settle. On the bottom on the front is a knob to regulate the amount of air entering from the bottom.

This part I have I figured with the part number clearly stamped on it, somebody would be able to tell me what it is. I've searched the Internet, but can't find anything about this particular part, and could find only one picture of my particular model of stove.

The exhaust is just 6" venting (7" where it attaches to the stove) up from the back and into the chimney. The stove is in my garage. I almost gave it away when I moved in 10 years ago, but thought I'd try heating my garage with it instead of installing LP or NG heat. I'm planning to burn wood - not coal - unless someone here convinces me that that's a really stupid and dangerous idea.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

DD

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Jan. 24, 2014 12:15 pm

Please be careful having a solid fuel appliance burning in your garage, gasoline, and other combustible vapors float low to the floor where the fire is regardless what you are burning.
If you don't use the garage for vehicles, atvs', motorcycles etc. I would suggest coal. Unless the wood is free!
Good luck and be safe and warm :)
Mike.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. Jan. 24, 2014 12:17 pm

Doug
WELCOME to NEPA!

While you probably could burn wood in this stove it was designed for coal. I think if you try coal you will not want to go back to wood. Even in the garage. Nothing wrong with burning wood so I won't tell you it is stupid or dangerous. (Other than what Mike A has said) I will tell you that 1 ton of coal equals just about 2 cords of firewood BTU wise and with coal you get true 10 to 24 hour burn times (depending on the stove) at good heating temps as well. My house is at 71 right now with the only heat coming from my Chubby Coal stove. It is 9f here and I don't have to run out to the wood pile! WOO HOO!!

Anyway if you can tell us what part of the US you are in there might be a fellow NEPA member who lives close to you who can help you with this stove if you needed it. There is at least a 1000+ years of coal and coal stove burning knowledge on the site and NEPA members love to help out. Again.. WELCOME!

douglasldennison

Post by douglasldennison » Fri. Jan. 24, 2014 3:09 pm

Thanks for the info, 1$. I have lots of firewood - at least for the short term - and would prefer shorter-duration burns - 3 or 4 hours at a time - for evenings. The stove is in my garage/workshop, and I plan to use it to make it bearable for me to work there in evenings and maybe weekends. I'm thinking my scrap wood can be used to keep myself warm. - DD

coalturkey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Oakland #6 baseheater
Coal Size/Type: blaschek nut

Post by coalturkey » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 6:44 am

Michael anthony is correct. Looks like one of the hinge pins is broken so that is why it is sitting loose. Not real important to stove performance except to keep gases from escaping during fill.

douglasldennison

Post by douglasldennison » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 2:14 pm

Actually, that pic wasn't of my door; it's just one that kind of looks like mine. Here's mine:
my stove door.jpg
.JPG | 100.8KB | my stove door.jpg
I found where it goes; here it is in position:
my stove door 1.jpg
.JPG | 109.8KB | my stove door 1.jpg
The picture shows it in the default position, angled into the stove. I presume that's to deflect the heat from coming to the front, and making it move toward the vents instead. To load the stove, that part rocks back toward you. The piece above it is hinged at the top, so it hangs perpendicular, but opens inward to let you push things through it.

If I'd taken five minutes to explore before my original post, I wouldn't have needed to bother you all. I'll post some pics when I have the whole thing up and running.

Thanks, guys, for all your help.

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 2:21 pm

No problem DD, half of my posts are shootin' from the hip. Why take time to think about stuff? That takes time! :lol:

douglasldennison

Post by douglasldennison » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 4:36 pm

New problem: I was cleaning the thing out (found a piece of coal in it that's God-knows how old), and noticed that the exhaust elbow that comes out the back and up has considerable cracks in it. I can get a tube of furnace cement at H-D for $4; think that would work to seal it? It looks like someone before me tried to patch it with cement, but I guess it could be something else.

Here are views from each side:
cracked pipe 1.jpg
.JPG | 96.9KB | cracked pipe 1.jpg
cracked pipe 2.jpg
.JPG | 97.6KB | cracked pipe 2.jpg
DD

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Jan. 25, 2014 5:53 pm

By the looks of the stove it looks like it has been in a damp environment and needs a good cleaning and inspection in a dark room and shine a flash light inside and out looking for cracks. I didn't see any gasket material on the door or stove. If the cast elbow exhaust is rusted through that would send up a red flag. I don't mean to sound negative but I want to be here talking about your next stove with you down the road. :)

That piece of coal you found is about 300 million years old!

douglasldennison

Post by douglasldennison » Mon. Jan. 27, 2014 7:23 pm

Gasket material? No, I don't see any, but don't see where it would go either. What would I use for gasket material?

I'll do the flashlight thing before loading it.

I got a quart of furnace cement, and will apply that to the cracks in the elbow. I think I'll do several layers overtime to make sure I get it sealed well. Just as soon as the temperature rises above freezing. Talk about a Catch 22! It's kind of like my late father used to say about fixing a leaking roof: when it's raining, you can't, and when it's not, you don't need to.

And that lump of coal doesn't look a day over 250 million.

douglasldennison

Post by douglasldennison » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 11:34 am

If anybody is still out there, I have a new question about this beast, which I still haven't gotten up and running. On the front door, there was a piece of plasticy material in front of a screen. It was brittle, and is now broken. Do I need to replace that? And with what? What does it do? Can I burn wood without it? Seems that since there are vents elsewhere in the front of the stove, this little opening wouldn't much matter, but I am curious what it's for and whether it's essential.

Here's a picture:
Heatrola Screen.jpg
.JPG | 258.3KB | Heatrola Screen.jpg

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi doug, it's been a long time. If you hold a flame to the broken stuff in your door, does it burn? If so it's probably plastic but chances are it will not melt and that would be mica. You can buy sheets of it on line for relatively low cost and cut it to fit yourself. I have mica in my stove.

You can cover the windows with sheet metal until the mica arives.

Attachments

IMG_20171209_221252355.jpg
.JPG | 208.2KB | IMG_20171209_221252355.jpg

douglasldennison

Post by douglasldennison » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 4:29 pm

Michael, I was going to say thanks, until I read that joke.

But seriously, what does that "mica" sheet do? I'll look for some.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”