Nice Puffback Tonight

IH Cub
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF-250
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut
Other Heating: Propane baseboard hot water

Post by IH Cub » Mon. Jan. 20, 2014 9:09 pm

My first puffback of the season happened today. I loaded some coal into the sf250, and left the ash door open to get it caught. I left a corner of the firebox uncovered, but maybe I didn't have flames there to burn off the gases. I started poking through my grates from underneath to help clear ash when Whoosh--there was the puffback. All the ash came out the ash door and onto my face. I'm glad I wear glasses. No damage to the stove. Baro didn't pop out or anything. I think all the force came through the ash door as the gases ignited.

I think I just put too big of a load of coal onto it all at once.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Jan. 20, 2014 10:02 pm

Ehh,what the Hell......On the Bright Side.....You'll do the next stoke and poke differently,and this experience reminds you of what it was like being in the Boiler Rooms of the Titanic ! Your doin' fine,Mate ! :up:

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Jan. 21, 2014 2:54 am

Yes, one lesson I also learned the hard way... Never gaze obliviously into the ash pan area at close range after loading fresh coal on.... :lol:

Unless you have big bushy eyebrows that need a quick trimming... :D

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Tue. Jan. 21, 2014 9:29 am

Yee Hawwww. I love it when I can see the fire but it will mess up your day when you get it so close it trims your eyebrows and leaves the little bright circles in your vision!!! I had fire come out of my Bucket a Day at every joint and crevice that I didn't even know it had with a puff back.

I checked the baro and pushed open the flap because I could hear a low rumble coming from inside the pipe. I still had flames swirling around inside the stove pipe. It looked like the northern lights in there!!! I had loaded it to the hilt, opened the MPD, opened the lower ash door and then opened the top loading door to see if I could get some more coal in it. I let it go closed and that's when it happened. The little Bucket a Day made a moaning sound and then it parumpfd.

Won't do that again any time soon.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland Pa.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Jan. 21, 2014 10:06 am

Sure will wake you up! I have shoveled a little too much into the Harman twice this season-so far-and knew I did wrong. Opened the loading door a bit for some overtire air, got a small POOF, no flying ash though. :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”