Hitzer 30-95 Hot Water Coil ?

John3100
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by John3100 » Thu. Jan. 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Hey guys has anyone put a hot water coil inside a hand fired coal stove ? Do you think it would get too hot ? , I was thinking of running it to a few baseboard heaters possibly or to small modine heater in my garage. Any input would be appreciated Thanks John

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Jan. 16, 2014 9:18 pm

Welcome to the forum John3100. You can indeed do what your talking about but there are several safeguards you have to ensure you have in place. Suggest that you type hot water coil in the search box in the upper right corner of this page. You will get tons of hits that will require some coffee or other adult type beverage while you get through them.

Rev. Larry
New Beginning Church
Ashland, Pa.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 17, 2014 4:05 am

John3100 wrote:Hey guys has anyone put a hot water coil inside a hand fired coal stove ? Do you think it would get too hot ? , I was thinking of running it to a few baseboard heaters possibly or to small modine heater in my garage. Any input would be appreciated Thanks John
Many people put in hot water coils. I have two coils in my hand fed furnace (its basically a stove with an air jacket and blowers).. One coil preheats my domestic hot water, the other keeps my outdoor hot tub warm. I've never tried running any base board heat off a water coil. Any time I've seen it suggested, there was never any positive feedback on it. I don't think the coils can conduct enough heat to do what you are suggesting. I'm sure others will chime in with more information. :D

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jan. 17, 2014 4:41 am

John3100 wrote:Hey guys has anyone put a hot water coil inside a hand fired coal stove ? Do you think it would get too hot ? , I was thinking of running it to a few baseboard heaters possibly or to small modine heater in my garage. Any input would be appreciated Thanks John
John, I don't want to sound like Mr. Negative...but a few forum members have done this in the past and were disappointed with the results.

John3100
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by John3100 » Fri. Jan. 17, 2014 5:30 am

I was afraid of the negative results .... thats why I figured I would ask .... I didnt want to spend the money and time on install and not be satisfied with it thanks for the help guys

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Now could you use a small radiator or baseboard as a "dump zone" in the garage? Say if you heat the water to much in your dhw tank? And are not home to do a load of laundry or something to cool it? A circulator pump could kick on and run the water out to the baseboard? I'm curious because I too am considering the hot water coil in my hot last coal furnace

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 4:11 pm

Funny I have been considering coal to preheat my DHW also.

My thought on dumping excessive heat was to use a old gas fired water heater tank as the storage tank, with some sort of fan controlled by a temp switch mounted in the water heaters exhaust outlet to cool it down should it start to get too hot.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 4:21 pm

Well I am planning on using a old oil fired hot water tank to heat my electric water tank, but there's only two of us in the house so we don't use much hot water, so I think I will be overheating it a lot so I would like to be able to dump it into my garage

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 4:31 pm

Hot Water Coil Project

You guys may have seen this thread. I use an old propane hot water heater for a preheat tank. The coil is fed by natural convection. The only time I had an issue with my temper tank getting too hot was during extreme cold outside since I would run the furnace hard. I've seen it get up close to 180 degrees. My solution was simple. I would fill the bath tub before bed with hot water and let it sit in there overnight. The heat from the full tub of water would loose it's heat to the house.

During normal winter weather it stays between 110-140. Our hot water demand is plenty to keep up with the heated water.

My advice would be to just do it and see if a dump zone is needed. :)

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 4:43 pm

Lee I plan on doin the same setup you have, except with a circulator cuz I don't have the room to do thermosiphon, but with only 2 showers a day I would think I would heat the water way over 120-130, which is what my electric tank is set at, so I was just wondering if it would make sense to put a baseboard out in the garage off the house to use as a dump zone? Unless you don't think I will go over 130-140 then I will just try it, but I don't see how I couldn't, and I wont always be there to fill the tub or do a hot load of laundry

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 4:56 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:except with a circulator cuz I don't have the room to do thermosiphon,
the only room you need is to be within 10 feet of the furnace and get it up a couple feet on blocks. Of course the close the better..
hotblast1357 wrote:so I was just wondering if it would make sense to put a baseboard out in the garage off the house to use as a dump zone?
sure you could.. But if you are hoping it will heat the garage a whole lot, you might be a little disappointed.. I don't know how much it would help the garage.

Also, there are different sized water coils. I bought the 24 inch loops, (total length of the loop is about 54 inches). I think they have them in 16 and 18 inch sizes too.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Mar. 24, 2014 5:02 pm

My furnace is in the middle of the basement so it would look funny with the water tank next to you, I was actually thinking of trying a copper coil in the hot air jacket on top of the stove first, but idk if it will get hot enough? Really nervous about putting holes in the stove haha I don't want it to fully heat the garage, just want a safe dump zone and might as well use the heat

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”