MPD/Baro Location

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 5:05 pm

I'm sorry if I'm dragging out old ghosts, cause I know this question has been brought up on this site. I can't seem to locate it. Maybe some newbies will also benefit from this topic.
I've just installed a baro/MPD assy, and put the MPD in frt of the baro. My reasoning goes like this. When I just ran an MPD, even with it fully shut, my draft was still higher than the manufacturers recommendation of -04. So I've purchased a baro and installed it "downstream" from the MPD. In this location, I was hoping to close down the stove pipe with the MPD, to retain heat, and the baro, being behind it will maintain my draft to manuf. specs. However, after watching a video of how to operate my stove, the narrator shows his MPD mounted "after" the baro. I was assuming in this position, if I shut down the MPD to retain heat, the exhaust would escape into the house thru the loosely fitting baro door. Am I missing something? :?:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 5:08 pm

You are correct. Stove to MPD to Barometric Damper to chimney thimble. Important to test draft with a manometer and even more important to have one or more working CO detectors in the house. :blah:

ShawninNY

Post by ShawninNY » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 5:40 pm

You're right ! It's really scary that some people have the opposite installation , I recall a post last year from someone who's Amish neighbor came to him in a panic cause she overfired a fresh load and shut the mpd than had fire shooting from the baro !

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 5:48 pm

I run my MPD after the barometric for my own reasons... People say its an unsafe arrangement but I haven't yet had a problem. As long as a mano is installed and negative pressure is maintained it works. I only use the MPD during extreme cold and high winds to keep my draft pressure steady.

But yes, the safer version is having the baro after the MPD.. :D

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 6:01 pm

So maybe the installation is dependent on chimney characteristics? Some will work better, opposite others?

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 6:21 pm

joeq, given your space available before the thimble my thought would be for you to install baro and remove the mpd and note the changes and characteristics of your stove that way you could determine if the mpd was needed at all. just my $.02

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 7:59 pm

Already installed it M/T.
If it's not needed, I can just leave it open, and remove it in the off season. with it installed, I can experiment with it, and see how it acts for my installation.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Nice job on the assembly! With the draft you are getting this should help extend your burn, scrape, and load time. When I set up my box stove with a mpd and baro the stove settled down and I was able to keep more heat in the stove by slowing the exit of the exhaust thus more heat radiating in the room. The last couple days we have seen -20* at night and not much better in the day and I am able o keep the stove cranking out heat and the temp after the baro is 114* with -.04 on the manometer and with the 2 stoves going the house was 74* and the basement 58* :)

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Jan. 06, 2014 4:37 pm

michaelanthony wrote:Nice job on the assembly! With the draft you are getting this should help extend your burn, scrape, and load time.
It appears you're absolutely right M/T. I'm trying to prevent jumping up and down for joy, because it's only been 24 hrs since cleaning, and installation. But it appears to be a different beast. It's the 1st time I am actually able to set the stove on low, and have it continuously burn W/O going out. I adjusted the draft weight on the door, and it is dead stable at -.04. At 1st I was worried cause the door is open "almost" all the way. I thought I installed it up-side down. But it's not. And it does flutter a tad, from the outside effects, but man that draft meter seems stuck at -.04. I don't want to jinx anything yet, but it appears to have helped quite a bit. I'll keep everyone posted on future results. :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”