Another Vermonster Question

skobydog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite

Post by skobydog » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 4:13 pm

Thanks franco b for the education on the stove.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Thanks,franco,good info.=small heater-small room or supplement to big room, OR big heater for big room,still learning about all the different stoves out there.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanx,Franco ! A purpose built stove outside of it's purpose can lead to a hell of a lot of frustration. I'm sure you've helped out more than you know. The Vmonster said his basement and 1st floor warmth have been aided by his Surdiac. His short burn times and ashing trouble are hurting him. Any advice for this liitle shallow bed stove? Coal size change or combination of coal sizes used together and banked? Hell,I dunno,but we're trying to keep the Vmonster up,running and in the game ! Thanx ! :box:

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 5:21 pm

To the OP. your concerns are exactly what this forum has been helping me with on my thread, "diary of a Surdiac". It's been here for almost a year and a poster above has even mentioned it. Have you looked at it yet? I won't bore everyone with what's already been run thru the mud. But I will comment on a couple things.
1 Your stove, (or any others) don't magically drop the ashes into the pan, you have to work at it. Some more than others. slicing the grates is only partially effective. you also need to poke from "under" the grates.
2 A reply above slammed the performance of these stoves, and I can't say it's all totally exaggerated, and I'ld be one to stand in line, and give these stoves a 1 finger salute. But mainly because, all this free standing stove ordeal is new to me. I'm betting my problems, (and yours) isn't the stove, but the operator. I didn't originally buy the stove, for coal burning, but to make a long story short, it will now do "mostly" what I wanted it to do. My house has an oil heating system, and is a 2 story, only 1600 sq/ft. This stove, (my 513 is a step down from your 713), is installed off my living room, and will heat both floors comfortably. (way over 75* easily when the temps outside are in the teens.) It is used for supplemental heat in the extreme cold snaps that hit us frequently here in southern New England. not a stove I would use in a 3000sq/ft Maine home, needing heat 4-5 solid months out of the year.
My complaint (like yours) is trying to get the burn times longer. I've had it go 8-10 hrs unattended on occasions, but not consistently. That's what I'm honing in on. this forum has been a wealth of help towards my (and your) dilemma, so join the fun, and pick up where we've left off on the other thread.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 5:24 pm

Does the Surdiac have shaker grates?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 5:33 pm

lsayre wrote:Does the Surdiac have shaker grates?
I believe the 513 that I have been trying to help joeq with has no shaker. It has a stationary grate with a sword type tool that you slice the grate with to evacuate ash. I don't know about the 713 posted above..

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Nope,no shaker grate system. Requires the Ye Olde Manual Attack method for ash management. I'm thinkin' the VMonster would do well to Gang Up with Joeq and become the Surdiac Brothers working between both Threads. Lot's of good work done in "Diary Of A Surdiac" :drool:

Vermonster
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 713 Rest in peace! Chubby Coal Stove
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut coal
Other Heating: oil boiler

Post by Vermonster » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 5:54 pm

I have been reading diary of a surdiac, has been good reading. I will keep on chuggin. If I can afford it I will upgrade sometime to a bigger stove. Thanks for all the help, its a work in progress. I shall return!

Hambden Bob

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Stay with it,Mate ! You're unstoppable now ! :punk:

Vermonster

Post by Vermonster » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 6:12 pm

That's why they call me the Vermonster!

VtFarmboy
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: outdoor US Stoves EF1600
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: use some wood in woodstove when it gets real cold outside.

Post by VtFarmboy » Sun. Dec. 29, 2013 5:03 pm

Well seeing how you are a fellow Vermonster I will throw in my two cents. I have found that not all coal is alike. While size is. I was buying bagged coal for the last two years from one supplier. They are a feed store and coal is just a side line they provide. This last week I went up to Black Rock coal in East Montpeculier and bought 20 bags of nut from them. The owner told me I would notice the difference. I always thought coal was coal but I found out before the first bag was loaded in my furnace its not. I found I am burning almost a third less coal and getting more heat out of it. The coal is what I will call cleaner. Fewer wood chips and roots in it. I don't know if this helps you but maybe you should look around and see if you can find a better quality coal. it might help. I would still suggest the baro it can make a big difference also.
Vermonster wrote:I would like to buy a different stove so I talked to my wife. Yep I know shouldnt of said anything! So I'm gonna try to get this serdiac running right. It seems to me like I am getting way to much draft. So I will pick up a baro draft. When I install it I will check all gaskets and clean everything and heat exchangers. I can only get about 3-4 hours of burntime without cleaning. That is with the draft shut on the unit. I know I am all over the place, still might go buy that chubbie! Also I did install one of those dreaded manual pipe dampers and I choke that down and I still get no burn time. If I could get this running right it would be a big help. Tell me what you think. Thanks

Vermonster

Post by Vermonster » Sun. Dec. 29, 2013 6:21 pm

Yes I will give it a try. Aubochon down here sells blaschak coal. Its worth a shot. Thats why being new at this coal game I didn't buy a ton.....yet.

Vermonster

Post by Vermonster » Sun. Dec. 29, 2013 6:32 pm

While I'm at it its good to see a few Vermonters on here. In my part of the state hardly anyone I know burns coal. But Ive noticed that when you start talking about burning coal people start coming out of the woodwork. I know of two other people in my area that use coal. I call it "the coal underground". Barrows coal in Brattleboro delivers bulk coal. I haven't made a bin so I have not checked them out. Its been a great experience learning to burn these "black rocks". I like the heat just need to get a different stove. Once I get running right I will be pleased.

VtFarmboy
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: outdoor US Stoves EF1600
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: use some wood in woodstove when it gets real cold outside.

Post by VtFarmboy » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 2:12 pm

Blaschack is what I was using. Not saying its not good but what I have now seems to work much better and has helped get a few of the kinks out of my system. I have also used Reading which is about the same as Blaschack. Black Rock Coal is in East Montpilier he delivers most anywhere although there is a charge per mile obviously. The farther away you are the more it will cost. Where are you located? I am in White River Jct. This is my first year with all coal. Last year I tried it a few times. I will never go back to wood as long as I have to pay for it.
Vermonster wrote:Yes I will give it a try. Aubochon down here sells blaschak coal. Its worth a shot. Thats why being new at this coal game I didn't buy a ton.....yet.

Vermonster

Post by Vermonster » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 5:32 pm

I am in bellows falls,VT. About 45 minutes south of you. One mile east of "downtown" BF.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”