Another Vermonster Question

VtFarmboy
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: outdoor US Stoves EF1600
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: use some wood in woodstove when it gets real cold outside.

Post by VtFarmboy » Wed. Jan. 01, 2014 8:51 pm

NHFarmer wrote:Well I am trying the photo thing,
Nicee pictures. One concern I have I was looking at the photo with the stove pipe coming out of the back of the stove. Is that wall behind it wood? The pipe looks awfully close to the wall there. Just a concern that it was a combustible material.

NHFarmer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 616B
Baseburners & Antiques: 1909 Empire Crawford cook stove
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite-Pea coal
Other Heating: Tarm wood fired boiler

Post by NHFarmer » Wed. Jan. 01, 2014 9:11 pm

Not to worry, that is a masonry chimney. I am a little tight on the front clearance but we put a fire resistant rug on the wood floor. Also as a side note, I did start a new thread so as not to hijack this one.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Jan. 01, 2014 9:22 pm

You Considerate Animal,You ! However,do remember that you too are now one of the Surdiac Brothers! Damn Family's growing in this place ! Nice Pic's ! :clap:

VtFarmboy
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: outdoor US Stoves EF1600
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: use some wood in woodstove when it gets real cold outside.

Post by VtFarmboy » Sat. Jan. 04, 2014 1:51 pm

Again I don't have a stove I have a furnace but I can tell you for the most part the ash doesn't just fall through the grate like wood. You do have to shake it down to get the ash out. I shake my furnace every time I throw a shovel on every few hours. Then once or twice a day I gake out the ash pan. Now my furnace loads up 60 or so pounds of coal at a time so it would make sensce that I would have that much ash. But again the ash does not just fall through that is why the shaker grates are needed. It doesn't hurt to just shake it down every now and then.
Vermonster wrote:I just noticed something. When I do a shakedown I will empty the 2 ashpans. When I go to do another shakedown the ashpans are still empty. It seems that the coal ash will not naturally fall between my grates. I have read that the euro stoves like a low ash coal. I have a bag of blaschak rice coal here that I started out with. It is rice sized and the wrong coal for the stove. But that coal has a nice dry look to the coal. I got the right sized pea coal for the stove the other day at agway. I have been using this coal and it is kimmel brand coal. The kimmel coal has kind of a greasy texture to it. What if I try some blaschak pea coal in it? The blaschak coal does not have the greasy texture like the kimmel coal. When I got home from work today I could not see any red coals, also the 2 ashpans that I left clean this morning had no new ash. The ash did fall through when I shook it and it took off running good. Could it be that I would need to use blaschak coal that is dry looking compared to the kimmel coal that is like a greasy texture? Again I have read that the euro stoves like low ash coal. I think I might be on to something?! I hope!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”