I May Need Talking Down

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 10:32 pm

I think in your heart you already know what to do...it's a very pretty stove, and if it's in good condition, you'd get a lot of enjoyment from it. On the economical side, if you pay a fair price for it , there is basically never going to be any more depreciation left in it. In other words, in my opinion, with care on your part, it will never cost you much of anything to own it. Pay a fair price, use it, take care of it and when you're done with it, sell it and get a majority of your money back. Not many things in this world are like that. Jerry

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 10:42 pm

jubileejerry wrote:I think in your heart you already know what to do...it's a very pretty stove, and if it's in good condition, you'd get a lot of enjoyment from it. On the economical side, if you pay a fair price for it , there is basically never going to be any more depreciation left in it. In other words, in my opinion, with care on your part, it will never cost you much of anything to own it. Pay a fair price, use it, take care of it and when you're done with it, sell it and get a majority of your money back. Not many things in this world are like that. Jerry
This is a good way to look at it...as long a my insurance company will agree with the solid fuel and gas, that is another question. He originally wanted two grand for this stove and has come down a bit...I think it is a bit more than fair just yet.

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 10:43 pm

On Emery's website he mentions something about it being illegal to vent the coal smoke and the gas exhaust from the oven up the same flue-so he disconnects the gas from the oven leaving it coal/wood only......but he leaves the gas burners in the cooktop.....its not clear from his website if those are local (RI) regulations or National....but Im sure he could explain it a lot better than I.
Last edited by PJT on Wed. Dec. 25, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's

Post by Photog200 » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 10:48 pm

PJT wrote:On Emery's website he mentions something about it being illegal to vent the coal smoke and the gas exhaust from the oven up the same flu-so he disconnects the gas from the oven leaving it coal/wood only......but he leaves the gas burners in the cooktop.....its not clear from his website if those are local (RI) regulations or National....but Im sure he could explain it a lot better than I.
That is exactly what my concerns were...will have to look into it. This would definitely be the answer to my problems though. Get rid of the electric!

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 11:06 pm

I say buy it!! You can never have enough!
IMG_4442.JPG

Mine!

.JPG | 145.4KB | IMG_4442.JPG

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:I say buy it!! You can never have enough!
The attachment IMG_4442.JPG is no longer available
I would agree...I already have this one...
Randy

Attachments

IMG_0154.jpg
.JPG | 143KB | IMG_0154.jpg

DieselBob

Post by DieselBob » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Photog200 wrote:
DieselBob wrote:For Gods sake's man don't do it....There I tried. :D Hope you enjoy the “new” stove. I just finished reading all 12 pages of the other thread about cooking with coal and really wish I had made a couple changes when I was building this house. At the time I had no idea about the wonderful world of coal. Cooking, heating and DHW. If I had only known 14 years ago.
I miss that thread...
:roll2:
Cookin' With Coal

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 11:25 pm

PJT wrote:On Emery's website he mentions something about it being illegal to vent the coal smoke and the gas exhaust from the oven up the same flu-so he disconnects the gas from the oven leaving it coal/wood only......but he leaves the gas burners in the cooktop.....its not clear from his website if those are local (RI) regulations or National....but Im sure he could explain it a lot better than I.
I don't think NFPA allows the same flue for both. It would be interesting however, given that the appliance was designed to run both into one flue... You'd have to look at the regs carefully. I think you need to read NFPA 211....

dj

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 11:27 pm

Dear Randy,Please don't buy that attractive piece of bygone era kitchen cooking and baking. If you do,you'll shoot your eye out,Kid ! Signed: Santa :lol: ................There....That oughta put an end to this madness once and for all ! :nono:

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Wed. Dec. 25, 2013 1:53 am

As far as being legal, if your house is old enough to have one of these when built couldn't you say it's original to the house (ie. grandfathered)? Very pretty stove. I know I would buy it if I had the funds and a place to put it.. Good luck. Matt

rubicondave33
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite

Post by rubicondave33 » Wed. Dec. 25, 2013 6:09 am

What a beauty! We use a Bengal dual fuel stove at our camp and really love it! :up:

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. Dec. 25, 2013 7:41 am

Photog200 wrote:
That is exactly what my concerns were...will have to look into it. This would definitely be the answer to my problems though. Get rid of the electric!
"Off Grid" baby!!! shes a beauty!

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Wed. Dec. 25, 2013 8:32 am

dlj wrote:
I don't think NFPA allows the same flue for both. It would be interesting however, given that the appliance was designed to run both into one flue... You'd have to look at the regs carefully. I think you need to read NFPA 211....

dj
I would not mind turning the gas off to the oven. I would only use the oven during the winter with wood or coal. The thing I want is the gas burners so I can cook during the summer months. If I wanted to bake something I would just start a fire in the cook stove in the garage so as to not heat up the house.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Dec. 25, 2013 8:46 am

Are solid fuel stoves intended to be turned on and off as needed for cooking, or are they best ran continuously?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Dec. 25, 2013 8:49 am

Randy,
Ha, you know that if you had to ask, . . you were gonna buy it anyway! :D Sounds like it would look terrific in your kitchen. If the grates are good, GO, GO, GO man ! Just that if you invite some of these guys for dinner, chain that thing to the floor first ! :D

I've heard that dual fuel with gas should be upgraded, but there are many of the stove resto-shops doing that work. Can you use it as is and upgrade the gas system later ?

Hope it works out well for ya !

Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”