DSM 1400 Secondary Inlet and Outlets

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 11:16 am

that has not been the case. when the stove top temp. has been held constant by the intake adjustment but the secondaries blocked.

since all air comes thru the bed it just eats coal.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 11:31 am

KingCoal wrote:that has not been the case. when the stove top temp. has been held constant by the intake adjustment but the secondaries blocked.

since all air comes thru the bed it just eats coal.
The additional heat from the burning coal has to go somewhere, perhaps higher stack temp.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 3:36 pm

OK, here's something to keep you experimenters going. :) Found this old thread. Go down just a few entries in the thread and you will see where LDPosse recommends buying the "Newstyle" door which allows adjustment of the secondary air. :arrow: DS Machine

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 3:39 pm

Oh yeah, I've seen that. I think he got a new door with adjustable secondary air so he could try some bit coal :D

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 4:21 pm

yes, I also saw that thread before I bought my stove and considered getting that type door if I felt I needed it.

as of now I doubt I ever will as i'm convinced that the DSM 1400 is just fine as delivered.

do I understand what it does, not at all, am I satisfied with it's fuel use and heat out put ?

TOTALLY.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Hey that's all that matters most my friend!!

Happy New Year!! :band:

May the new year bring all the coal burning excitement you desire :D

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 4:42 pm

thanks and hope the same for all the rest of the gang here too.

slinger100
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Combustioneer 77b
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. 1600 circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross Ensign 37, Florence Hot Blast 153, Favorite, others
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by slinger100 » Tue. Dec. 31, 2013 4:46 pm

Great post and discussion here guys. Its this kind of sharing ideas and opinions that helps us all out in the long run. Hpaay and safe New Year to all NEPA friends and family.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Aug. 06, 2014 2:23 pm

KingCoal wrote:yep, same construction as your stove. through meticulous experimentation I've given up on the notion that these stoves need adjustable secondaries.

by some feat of engineering or magic MY stove alters the amount of air it pulls into the secondary tract according to the amount of over fire draft present. more when draft is low, less when draft is high, no explanation, just happy, steady, even, economical heat.
hate to dredge this all back up but I just ran across an interesting post by Sunny Boy in user Lightning's thread about secondary air in his furnace.

Secondary Air Distribution System

i hope that works, seemed to me to explain how and why my secondary air system appears to be fully self regulating.

steve
Last edited by KingCoal on Wed. Aug. 06, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Aug. 06, 2014 3:17 pm

Yes I have accepted the idea too that the smaller secondary holes create "drag" as negative pressure in the stove body increases. This will help limit the amount of incoming secondary air so that negative pressure and incoming secondary air will not be proportional to each other.. :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”