D.S. Machine: Rightburn or Circulator

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 9:31 am

Both have circulator tubes. I like the Looks of the Riteburn more, but it has no glass. "Circulator model" has more circulator tubes, and glass. I like seeing the fire, but don't need to see fire. I'd like to hear your opinions. Rightburn w/warming shelf (no glass), or Circulator with glass? How important is the glass to you? Here are links to the two stoves. http://www.champaigncoalandstove.com/item_detail.php?id=68, http://www.champaigncoalandstove.com/item_detail.php?id=16

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 9:37 am

I think seeing the fire far outweighs any possible use of the warming shelf. It does look nice though.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 9:41 am

The circulator would be the better choice. I would not consider another hand-fed without a hopper. My Hitzer 75 was a lot of work and I'm not exaggerating by any means.

hcarlow
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL 110

Post by hcarlow » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 9:47 am

I too would like the circulator for the glass and the hopper . I almost bought that stove until I decided to go with the boiler .

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 9:54 am

I like the Amish TV myself. A quick view on fire conditions makes it easy. The rest of the Circulator build features gets the job done. Do your sheet metal correctly,remembering to get that cold air returning,and I think you're going to be one Happy,Warm and Satisfied Dude ! :gee:

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 1:55 pm

the warming shelf could be either purchased along with the circulator and modified to fit or a copy could be made just as easy.

set up behind the hopper door and over the back tubes both the back and the shelf would be a very good additional radiant surfaces.

i may have to make one for mine, thanks for bringing it up.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 3:26 pm

I never even gave the hopper a thought....., and I know better. That's what happens when not looking at them in person. Yes, I would want the hopper. I do like seeing the fire, and I can make a warming shelf. All good points. I guess, The "Circulator" it is. You have to admit though, the "Riteburn" is a nice looking stove. Thanks fellow members.

Bruce M
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1627 basement stove

Post by Bruce M » Tue. Dec. 24, 2013 7:32 pm

I went with the rite burns big brother, the 1627 model(firebox=16"x27") I have it placed in the basement and has to heat the house from there all be it only a small ranch, it does that job very well. I have no need to see the fire down there and I have my automatic feeder trained pretty well these days, I also call her my wife :lol:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”