Using a SS Chimney (Dura-Vent) With a Coal Stove

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 10:32 pm

If you are talking about wood strips inside the burn area at the top I'm told that was for expansion. All my fireplaces have those.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 10:38 pm

PJT.
At first sight I thought they heated the beehive ovens from the fireplace also. But I learned they didn't.

On, "baking day", they started early and built the fire right inside the oven. That's why, if you look inside, there is a small flue from inside the top of the oven angling up into the main chimney flue as john pointed out about his. Several hours of a wood fire put a lot of heat into that massive pile of brick. The brick released it back out at a surprisingly even rate. And usually just a wood plug door with a handle to close the opening.

John.

Yes, all the early cooking fireplaces I've seen had panel and frame covering everything except maybe part of the stone mantel. And all were painted. If your house had higher ceilings, it's possible it was built for someone a bit wealthier than the neighbor with the low ceilings.

That really brings back great memories. Thank you.

Paul

63roundbadge

Post by 63roundbadge » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 10:50 pm

I'm on my 26th season with the same SS double walled chimney. 3 tons of anthracite/year. Always covered with a cap, liner is still like new when I remove the black pipe to clean the black pipe. Come to think about it, I'm only on my 3rd black pipe set. Every year I remove the black pipe and hose it out. Once it's dry, I knock off the layers of rust/ash inside.

Coal and the equipment to burn it seem to like to be left alone. Minimal tending, minimal common-sense cleaning works for me.
Once per year stove vacuuming.

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 10:59 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:PJT.
At first sight I thought they heated the beehive ovens from the fireplace also. But I learned they didn't.

On, "baking day", they started early and built the fire right inside the oven. That's why, if you look inside, there is a small flue from inside the top of the oven angling up into the main chimney flue as john pointed out about his. Several hours of a wood fire put a lot of heat into that massive pile of brick. The brick released it back out at a surprisingly even rate. And usually just a wood plug door with a handle to close the opening.
Wow pretty cool....would they plug up the flue after they let the fire go out? the one next door has a big burn mark on the inside of the exterior wood door.....

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 22, 2013 6:21 am

Not sure about all, but the beehive oven flues I've seen in two houses at Bethpage Village are only about as big around as your fist and not easy to reach in to. Especially with a hot oven. Could be that the wooden doors sealed well enough that the small flue shut down during baking.

Yeah, I could see how the door would get charred with the heat during firing.

Paul

PJT

Post by PJT » Sun. Dec. 22, 2013 9:30 am

hmmmmmmm....the flue in the beehive next door is close to a foot in diameter IIRC

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Sun. Dec. 22, 2013 10:40 am

Just pulled out the insulation I had stuffed up in there probably 20+ years ago. Good thing I had the shop vac running!! The flue opening runs the full width of the oven door opening (15") & is 5.5" deep. Goes up & turns in where it doubles in depth over the oven.

PJT

Post by PJT » Sun. Dec. 22, 2013 10:43 am

It would be a neat trick to build one like that today

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”