Is a Harmon MKIII Merely a MKII With 3 Grates Instead of 2?

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Post Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 10:51 pm

lsayre wrote:It almost seems as if Harman is weening itself away from coal. Their parent company, 'HNI', located in Muscatine, IA (and not in China as some have suggested) seems to be focusing on pellet stoves.
I believe it was said that some of their stoves are made in China...nobody said that they are located in China. :roll:
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

captcaper
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman Super Magnum
Stove/Furnace Model: Super Magnum Stoker

Post Mon. Dec. 16, 2013 6:20 am

lsayre wrote:It almost seems as if Harman is weening itself away from coal. Their parent company, 'HNI', located in Muscatine, IA (and not in China as some have suggested) seems to be focusing on pellet stoves.
Good move on their part. But I can't seen them dropping the coal line completely. I bet they just keep the big sellers. Here in Berlin and Lancaster NH the hospitables have switched over to new wood chip heating systems. And most folks here in Northern NH use wood,wood pellets,wood bricks now. Still lot's of logging here. It saves them money and it's Green.
Coal has such a bad rap from the soft coal power plants,etc. that burn it. Most folks don't want to even think about using it. So with pellets taking off these last years it makes sense to go into a good line of pellet stoves.
NH has a good income level and standard of living compared to other parts of the country so by going to pellets or burning wood they save some money but are "green" even though Coal is still cheaper.
Me ? I'm Coal all the way.. and you know why. I dropped wood and I've been with coal since 1982 with Coal Chubbys,etc.
Just a side note. My heating oil sits so long ( I use 175 gal. in 1 1/2 years 2000 sq ft home with temps down to -30 ) that it created issues in my furnace. I added Power Service to it and it cleared up. So I add Power Service to every tank and now have no issues with the furnace which gives us hot water as well.
Current Stove Harman Super Magnum
Owned before
Harman Mark III Wood Parlor stove Scandia Wood Stove 2 Chubby Coal Stoves Small Pot Belly Cast Iron

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post Mon. Dec. 16, 2013 6:29 am

Which product...
Biocide or...
I am not an engineer, train or otherwise!
I stay at a Holiday Inn at least once a year!
Most of all I do have common sense and a practical application of logic.
Oh, add humor, on the dry side, along with a wee bit 'o sarcasm.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: anthracite/rice coal

Post Mon. Dec. 16, 2013 8:41 am

Their stoves are NOT made in China. Made right here in the US. And they have dropped numerous coal products lately. They dropped the VF3000 stoker, the medium sized hand fired boiler and furnace, the mkII and some others that escape me now.
Like lowfog, my local Harman dealer does not have any coal burning units on the floor. This particualr dealer does lots of TV and radio ads and they NEVER mention coal. They are big into pellet and gas units. Very few Harman stock anything but the most common parts.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Burning rice coal in a 1981 EFM DF520, nut coal in a hand fired Jotul 507.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Post Mon. Dec. 16, 2013 9:55 am

McGiever wrote:
I believe it was said that some of their stoves are made in China...nobody said that they are located in China. :roll:
I must have mis-read in some other thread at some juncture, whereby I took it to be that someone (not me) was making the statement that the parent company of Harman is a Chinese owned corporation.
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: anthracite/rice coal

Post Mon. Dec. 16, 2013 10:02 am

That would be Mr. Crane. He was wrong. :roll:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Burning rice coal in a 1981 EFM DF520, nut coal in a hand fired Jotul 507.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - (custom built by Jim Dorsey, Taunton MA - RIP 4/18/13)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (SOLD!)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post Mon. Dec. 16, 2013 10:04 am

coalkirk wrote:............ Like lowfog, my local Harman dealer does not have any coal burning units on the floor. This particualr dealer does lots of TV and radio ads and they NEVER mention coal. They are big into pellet and gas units. Very few Harman stock anything but the most common parts.
Same around here. Nobody mentions coal, except for Squire Lumber - they actually advertise it in a flyer. There's another huge company that doesn't have a single coal stove on their showroom floor. They also own a powersports dealer - both are in the same, recently-built, HUGE building - each showroom has got to be 5k sq.ft. or better ... and there's not a single coal stove to be had. When you mention it, you get funny looks ... and a sales pitch toward pellets. :lol:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are
neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. ...Such laws make things worse
for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to
encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with
greater confidence than an armed man."

- Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in "On
Crimes and Punishment."

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”