Steady Burn Thru Some Serious Cold

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Dec. 12, 2013 5:44 pm

I was quite proud of my furnace today. I tended her this morning at 2:30am it was 7 degrees outside. I put a pretty good sized heap of coal in and after it was burning good I set the primary air a bit higher than usual.

The high temp outside today was only 14 degrees. My wife was home making Christmas cookies. The main living room maintained 75 degrees with the rest of the house right close behind it.

On my way home I spotted the propane truck and I chuckled the rest of the way. "There he goes that SUCKER!! He won't be coming to my house!!" I yelled out loud.... :lol:

My furnace wasn't touched all day. Not even for a heat adjustment. I'm currently seeing this 15 hours later. She done good.... :D

Attachments

20131212_170822_LLS.jpg
.JPG | 75.7KB | 20131212_170822_LLS.jpg
20131212_161616-1.jpg
.JPG | 183.1KB | 20131212_161616-1.jpg

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Thu. Dec. 12, 2013 7:09 pm

I love it when a plan comes together!

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Dec. 12, 2013 8:08 pm

I hear yah brother, my neighbor gets oil about every other week, goes to the woods, cuts it brings it home in his pick up and takes it out splits it lugs it in the house, calls for more oil.....this guy is making me tired :lol: ...anyway the wife calls me today and says the house is cold :wtf: she was bustin' my balls, she had a friend over and they were taking a final ( college you freaks ) the house was in the 70's. It is -1* right now and I love my coal stoves!

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 6:39 am

Yeah man!! Awesome! Thanks for sharing your story :D

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 7:43 am

Lookin' good Lee.

What size opening were your new secondary tubes at during that 15 hours ?

Paul

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 9:07 am

Thank you Carbon 12 and Sunny Boy!

I've been using this one thru a majority of the burn cycle. I open them completely during initial burn off of a fresh load :D

Attachments

20131203_175245.jpg
.JPG | 108.1KB | 20131203_175245.jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 9:50 am

Ah ! The salt and pepper shaker setting ! :D

Paul

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 10:39 am

Sunny Boy wrote:Ah ! The salt and pepper shaker setting ! :D

Paul
Yes sir that's exactly what I thought it looked like too!!! :lol:

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 10:49 am

Man, this season I've been having a hella of a time maintaining a steady even temp in the house. Lately with it being so cold I've been running the stove at 500+ degrees and it's only December. The past few seasons I've not gone above 450* at this rate I'm on track for 4 tons of nut. Woke up one morning and the house was 68* and that was after I managed to get the house to 78* before bed. Lost 10 friggin' degrees over night. My house is like living in a pipe on the top of a mountain with both ends open.

This...this is why I hate the winter. But, I'm still not going to buy oil. Won't need it. Just wish my house was better insulated.

coalcracker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Standard sealed hot water boiler, hand fed
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark I Magnafire
Baseburners & Antiques: Lehigh Oak 18, Washington potbelly, Sears Roebuck parlor cabinet, PIttston 6 lid cook stove, vintage combo gas/coal cook stove 4 lid
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by coalcracker » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Lightning wrote:I was quite proud of my furnace today. I tended her this morning at 2:30am it was 7 degrees outside. I put a pretty good sized heap of coal in and after it was burning good I set the primary air a bit higher than usual.

The high temp outside today was only 14 degrees. My wife was home making Christmas cookies. The main living room maintained 75 degrees with the rest of the house right close behind it.

On my way home I spotted the propane truck and I chuckled the rest of the way. "There he goes that SUCKER!! He won't be coming to my house!!" I yelled out loud.... :lol:

My furnace wasn't touched all day. Not even for a heat adjustment. I'm currently seeing this 15 hours later. She done good.... :D
{lol} yeh when I see the oil tanker pull into someone's house, I think the same thing myself "poor guy, hope they kiss him before they leave...."

glad to hear your stove is working well. Sounds like you have it dialed in like a finely tuned machine.

I noticed the last few days I had to open up the draft more on the Harman to 5/8 open, may be the low pressure area moving in, there's a snowstorm coming into the NE USA.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Dec. 13, 2013 11:54 pm

coalcracker wrote:I noticed the last few days I had to open up the draft more on the Harman to 5/8 open, may be the low pressure area moving in,
could be that you are getting fly ash built up on the top of the baffle plate if you haven't cleaned it yet this year. fly ash will lay against the square tubing that the distribution air blows through, insulating it somewhat.

DennisH
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon-Eagle Klondike IV
Other Heating: Propane

Post by DennisH » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 7:31 am

Lightning wrote:I was quite proud of my furnace today. I tended her this morning at 2:30am it was 7 degrees outside. I put a pretty good sized heap of coal in and after it was burning good I set the primary air a bit higher than usual. The high temp outside today was only 14 degrees. My wife was home making Christmas cookies. The main living room maintained 75 degrees with the rest of the house right close behind it.
You're positively TROPICAL in NY! We haven't gotten out of the below zero readings (actual and/or wind chill) for almost two weeks in 'da U.P. eh?! Rock on!!

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 7:51 am

@DennisH I know lol we're lucky over here being further east. You get the ugly cold stuff!! :o

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 7:56 am

nice! last couple days been really tough on my living room 404 trying to be a central heat system toothy , I got through it NP but I cant say it was as easy as you got through it :(

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 8:16 am

I graphed the temps I see after setting for the long burn. The first data point is immediately after initial burn off. This plot is over a course of 15 hours. I took data every hour. The orange line is the flue pipe temperature, the yellow is over the load door.

Settings:
Primary air about 20%
Secondary air a hairs worth
Draft pressure steady -.03

It's interesting to see how the temps fall after setting for the burn, then climb, peak and pretty much plateau only falling a small percentage before tend time again. I think the swell in temperature a few hours into the burn demonstrates that the coal bed is using more of the available oxygen. It goes to show that coal fires burn best when not fiddled with. I attributed the steady heat output to the barometric damper.

Attachments

20131214_194412.jpg
.JPG | 111.5KB | 20131214_194412.jpg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”