Crane 44

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Sat. Dec. 14, 2013 9:39 am

One of the issues is the rear outlet and clearances and uncomfortable falling asleep with a 700 to 800 hunk of metal in the house. There is an upside to running hot and that is the thermal efficiency goes up a lot until you get to 650F then the return drops off quickly. Finding out what is wrong and fixing the frozen grates is on my mind as well. There is nothing wrong with the stove design but it's ability to work in my drafty 1874 house that is only partially insulated. A top flue exit and a bit largewr to run in the 500 to 600 range would also be nice.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sat. Dec. 14, 2013 9:45 am

ddahlgren wrote:One of the issues is the rear outlet and clearances and uncomfortable falling asleep with a 700 to 800 hunk of metal in the house. There is an upside to running hot and that is the thermal efficiency goes up a lot until you get to 650F then the return drops off quickly. Finding out what is wrong and fixing the frozen grates is on my mind as well. There is nothing wrong with the stove design but it's ability to work in my drafty 1874 house that is only partially insulated. A top flue exit and a bit largewr to run in the 500 to 600 range would also be nice.
Coal Chubby may be right up your ally then! parts are readily available, can be bought used for pennies on the dollar. You wont see larry here much other than to thank us all for doing what we do... but he IS available anytime via phone.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Dec. 14, 2013 10:38 am

ddahlgren wrote:One of the issues is the rear outlet and clearances and uncomfortable falling asleep with a 700 to 800 hunk of metal in the house. There is an upside to running hot and that is the thermal efficiency goes up a lot until you get to 650F then the return drops off quickly. Finding out what is wrong and fixing the frozen grates is on my mind as well. There is nothing wrong with the stove design but it's ability to work in my drafty 1874 house that is only partially insulated. A top flue exit and a bit largewr to run in the 500 to 600 range would also be nice.
You could consider a Warm Morning. Lots around and those with a jacket can get closer to combustibles. Those without the jacket have a reversible flue outlet so you can have top or rear outlet and your choice of three sizes.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”