Worthwhile Alternative to Antique Baseburner Coal Stoves

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 7:24 pm

William,I have to say it , you have caused my wife and myself a whole of stress :? ,we thought we had decided on a coal range,then we watched those fantastic video's you did on the 2 BB,where do we go from here?????????? add a chimney,add to the house,buy both stoves :D BUT $$$$$$$$$$$$ :cry: hope Paul or Randy don't make video's

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 7:56 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:William,I have to say it , you have caused my wife and myself a whole of stress :? ,we thought we had decided on a coal range,then we watched those fantastic video's you did on the 2 BB,where do we go from here?????????? add a chimney,add to the house,buy both stoves :D BUT $$$$$$$$$$$$ :cry: hope Paul or Randy don't make video's
yea...were all a little miffed at Sir William because we used to buy these puppies up for pennies on the dollar until William single handedly increased the value of these priceless works of art 10x :mad3:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Tim wrote:Paul,
all I will say is that my #30 is super happy on nut size coal and I figured why change ?...but William S. burns stove in his so I figured why not try it ?.....also I just found a broker locally that carries stove coal as my usual guy does not due to the fact there is not enough demand in my area, so I got a ton to try and so far the results confuse me !...the stove size coal you would think being larger and more air gap would go up fast but it does not in my #30 she will just cruise along makin nice heat and you look in the fire box and the coals are all super hot and glowin nice but I think that the increased surface area compared to nut size wich is way smaller and is burnin fast and consuming itself compared to the baseball sized stuff wich is also ablaze but will take a lot longer time to burn to its core is what I am seeing...I may be all wet on this as I am NOT A CHEMIST...lol
all I know is that I can load up my stove like I have for years other than the size of the coal "STOVE"and it just way outlasts what I did last yr. with nut size coal
any words of wisdom will b appreciated.
thanks,
Tim
Probably has a lot to do with the greater depth of your stove's coal bed and how your stove drafts with it. My chimney has good draft, but my firebox is only about 5-6 inches deep.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 8:37 pm

wsherrick wrote:I just want to thank all of you who made comments on the videos in my defense. I am deeply touched and honored. Thank you all. :notworthy:
Your very welcome William. Small payback for all the help you've given.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 8:38 pm

dcrane wrote:
windyhill4.2 wrote:William,I have to say it , you have caused my wife and myself a whole of stress :? ,we thought we had decided on a coal range,then we watched those fantastic video's you did on the 2 BB,where do we go from here?????????? add a chimney,add to the house,buy both stoves :D BUT $$$$$$$$$$$$ :cry: hope Paul or Randy don't make video's
yea...were all a little miffed at Sir William because we used to buy these puppies up for pennies on the dollar until William single handedly increased the value of these priceless works of art 10x :mad3:
So, . . I take that as a, "like" ? :D

Paul

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 8:56 pm

on my part definitely a like for his videos & both the coal range & BB's,i lean towards the range,but wife is the cook & leans more towards the BB,i think ? :?

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Dec. 28, 2013 11:48 pm

Richard S. wrote:
coalcracker wrote:or pay $8000 for a rare vintage antique stove to try to achieve this.
People don't spend that kind of money just becsue they are looking for efficiency, that's a side benefit. Do you collect anything or have any interests? You can buy a new car that is 400 HP or go buy a GTO with 400HP from the 60's for 10 times the cost. Why would you buy the GTO? Because it's a GTO. ;)
I just saw this quote, and can't let it go (Sorry). I would pay the price of a new car, to get back my tri-power, 4 spd, Goat, and love all the benefits it offers over any new car. It would do everything I want it to, just like my typewriter, rotary phone, and my wish for an old vintage baseburner. :)

rustyrelics
Baseburners & Antiques: Scranton Stove Works base heater
Other Heating: Franklin wood stove

Post by rustyrelics » Sun. Dec. 29, 2013 4:03 pm

there are really good deals on old stoves and old cars right now. many older restorations for sale, for less than the cost to restore them today. prices have come down on collectible antiques. I got a restoreable base heater locally for next to nothing. here's another on Ebay that sold at a very low price, about 1/3 the price of a comparable new stove. it's becoming buyers market. many high priced pieces are ending with no bids.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Royal-Gem-Base-Burner ... 7#ht_0wt_0

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”