Which Stove??

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Sun. Dec. 08, 2013 7:15 pm

No actual experience with the Harman stoves but I do have 2 friends with older ones (Mk1 & 3) who like them. I did visit 3 Harman dealers this summer while looking at coal stoves. 2 of the dealers told me that Harman had cheapened the MK series over the last couple years to keep costs down. They had seen a lot more warranty issues & they definitely could no longer recommend burning wood in them during the warmer months which is something both of my friends do with their older stoves. The 3rd dealer had dropped Harman by the time I got there & was now only selling the Hitzer coal stoves.

rustyrelics
Baseburners & Antiques: Scranton Stove Works base heater
Other Heating: Franklin wood stove

Post by rustyrelics » Sat. Jan. 04, 2014 12:14 pm

JohnB wrote:No actual experience with the Harman stoves but I do have 2 friends with older ones (Mk1 & 3) who like them. I did visit 3 Harman dealers this summer while looking at coal stoves. 2 of the dealers told me that Harman had cheapened the MK series over the last couple years to keep costs down. They had seen a lot more warranty issues & they definitely could no longer recommend burning wood in them during the warmer months which is something both of my friends do with their older stoves. The 3rd dealer had dropped Harman by the time I got there & was now only selling the Hitzer coal stoves.
that would be a price decision based on cost during this recessionary and inflationary atmosphere. Harmans are pricey, even the Mk I is $1850 and thats their cheapest stove. but they are built much better than competing $1000 stoves.

rustyrelics
Baseburners & Antiques: Scranton Stove Works base heater
Other Heating: Franklin wood stove

Post by rustyrelics » Sat. Jan. 04, 2014 12:24 pm

philthy wrote:Between a Hitzer 82-fa and a Harman SF-2500 which would you guys recommend? Both are in good shape and both are priced the same. Only wanna burn coal...
this is no contest. a Harman is the Cadillac of stoves and high end. a Hitzer is aimed at the entry level and mid price level. the Harman has better grates and thicker steel in it generally. Harmans generally have a lifetime limited warranty on firebox. the Hitzer 82 is a knock off of the old 1970's Riteway 37. this is a battleship (2500) vs. a fishing boat (82). if you have the coin get the Harman.
I've looked inside both designs. a Harman will have 1/4" rolled steel welded plate like armor on a tank. a Riteway aka Hitzer would have thin sheetmetal sides the thickness of a 55 gallon drum, with a square cast iron or steel firebrick frame, with the firebricks lining the sheetmetal box to give it structure. at least that's what the Riteway has I inspected. the thin sheetmetal may warp over time. you'll never warp 1/4" plate on the Harman.

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Sat. Jan. 04, 2014 12:31 pm

I'm aware that the older Harman MK series have a very good reputation for quality. As far as the current versions all I know is what the two active Harman dealers told me. Since they had nothing else to offer me I doubt it was bs but you never now.

$1850 for a MK 1 is definitely pricey for what it is. I paid $1920 for my new 50-93 with blower a few months ago.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Jan. 04, 2014 12:51 pm

rustyrelics wrote:Harmans generally have a lifetime limited warranty on firebox
That warranty seems to be 3 years. Don't know about you but 3 years doesn't seem like a lifetime to moi. Still Harman makes a decent stove but their warranty seems to be a little thin.

http://www.harmanstoves.com/Owner-Resources/~/med ... olicy.ashx

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Jan. 04, 2014 2:56 pm

harman,Harman,HARMAN, best,toughest,blah,blah,blah = cc ,,,now harman,Harman,HARMAN,best,toughest,blah,blah,blah, he is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Jan. 04, 2014 6:53 pm

Which stove?? that is a question going thru our minds too,seems like quite a few forum members have & like their Harman stoves,but company policies,attitude,support to customer is lacking/or none,warranty = worthless.Have heard lots about Hitzer,Alaska,DS circulator,we really like the DS circulator,BUT we also are torn by our love of the beauty,efficiency,& quality of coal ranges & parlor/BB stoves.We've watched the fascinating videos wsherrick has on those great old Glenwoods & Crawfords,at the same time we are going for low $$ on our purchase :?

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sat. Jan. 04, 2014 7:39 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:harman,Harman,HARMAN, best,toughest,blah,blah,blah = cc ,,,now harman,Harman,HARMAN,best,toughest,blah,blah,blah, he is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hahahahahaha... I agree totally with Windy! only one person that could be toothy , I also strongly suggest as OneDollar noted to read the fine print of a Harman warranty before listening to that garble Gook. I will stear clear of all the intricacies of loose/thick firebricks on heavy plate vs thin, etc... but arguments could go both ways regarding that one issue alone.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Jan. 04, 2014 11:39 pm

JohnB wrote:I'm aware that the older Harman MK series have a very good reputation for quality. As far as the current versions all I know is what the two active Harman dealers told me. Since they had nothing else to offer me I doubt it was bs but you never now.

$1850 for a MK 1 is definitely pricey for what it is. I paid $1920 for my new 50-93 with blower a few months ago.
I can tell you, the Harman Mark series are built like a tank, using 1/4" thick steel. That's right, a big square tank. They actually are very well built stoves. Lots of people swear by them. My uncle heats his house with a Mark-III, and loves it. He has had to replace a broken grate, as well as the shaker handle. Now lets take a look at the HITZER 50-93. Also a very well built stove. It too is built using heavy steal. Not quite as heavy as the Mark-III, but still heavy. One thing I can say; The Hitzer 50-93 is WAY ahead of the Mark-III when it comes to engineering. And because of the engineering, I heated double the space of my uncle, using the same amount of coal. His stack temps run 100+ degrees higher than my stack temps. His Mark-III throws a lot of heat. My 50-93 felt like it throws half as much again, if not more heat. We live about 1000 feet apart. I studied, and compared the two stoves for quite some time. EDIT: I measured the steel thickness of the top of my 30-95 tonight. I was expecting a little less than 1/4". But, my Brown & Sharp dial calipers read .250". Who can tell us the thickness of the top steel on a Harman "Mark" series? Oliver
Last edited by oliver power on Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Sat. Jan. 04, 2014 11:48 pm

I have a Harman Mark III (retired it) and now use the SF 250. The SF 250 heats 3600SF over two floors (basement with two NW facing garage doors and main living area) the furthest bedroom maintains at 72* even during zero temps and the living room maintains at 74* and using about 50lbs a day at zero. The Mark III had a hard time keeping up those temps. This is my 3rd year with the SF 250 - my 2 cents!

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 12:05 am

snuffy wrote:I have a Harman Mark III (retired it) and now use the SF 250. The SF 250 heats 3600SF over two floors (basement with two NW facing garage doors and main living area) the furthest bedroom maintains at 72* even during zero temps and the living room maintains at 74* and using about 50lbs a day at zero. The Mark III had a hard time keeping up those temps. This is my 3rd year with the SF 250 - my 2 cents!
I'm not familiar with the SF-250, or the Hitzer 82. Can't comment. I know what they are, just no personal experience with either one.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”