Cookin' With Coal

wilsons woodstoves
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood, Crawford, Magee, Herald, Others

Post by wilsons woodstoves » Sat. May. 10, 2014 9:37 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:^^^ I'll second that opinion,i have followed this thread from its beginning,very informative,very educational, but unfortunately, a few posts were weight gain threats :) :lol: Paul,you really should not be posting pics of those scones :mad3: (i can't have sugar) I drolled over those !! I will have to see if my wife can make something close with maple syrup for sweetener or will those scones only come out right done in a coal range?
I am coming in on 3rd, And everything that comes out of that oven looks great. Keep it coming

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. May. 11, 2014 8:17 am

Sunny Boy wrote:One cooking item I forgot to report back on was a recipe for lemon apricot scones that michealanthony pm'd to me.

Took a while to get the dried apricots, but it was well worth it. As he said, they are quick to make and quick to bake. Even a kitchen goof like me can make them. :roll:

Where I grew up it was always bagels, or croissants in deli's, diners, and coffee shops. I'd never had scones until these. Now they are my favorite. But, beware. These scones are deceptively addicting !!!! The lemon and apricot flavors work well together, yet they don't overpower each other ,or the flavor of the dough and sugar topping.

This is one of those foods that someone says, "I bet you can't eat just one ! " I couldn't. :D

We baked the first batch while dinner was cooking, planning to have them as dessert. But, hot out of the oven, with melted butter on them, they came darned close to completely displacing dinner ! :D

Thank you michealanthony for yet another addition to our cooking favorites list.

Paul
Don't be stingy.....post the recipe !

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. May. 11, 2014 12:42 pm

Gekko wrote:
Don't be stingy.....post the recipe !
OK, here ya go. But be warned, . . these don't last long !!!! :D

Lemon apricot scones.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lemo ... cones-1923

Enjoy !

Paul

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Mon. May. 12, 2014 7:38 am

[quote="Sunny Boy"]Well, the weather here is finally warming up. Not just the days, but the nights too. So, I let the range burn out last night. :(

As much as I like the end of winter, letting the range go out is like the loss of a good friend. For the past seven months we've been spoiled by having that warm feeling everytime we walk into the kitchen. We're spoiled having to wait for the tea kettle hot water to heat up on the gas stove. And, we're also spoiled by having to reheat our coffee mugs in the microwave because we don't have a hot stove top to leave the mugs sitting on that keeps the coffee at the perfect temperature.

I find myself almost wishing for cold weather again, . . . almost. :D

But this also gives me time to catch up on some long awaited repairs and hopefully start the old girl's restoration.

On another note, back in Nov 20, 2013, I started this thread to show the merits of using a coal range for more than just heat. I had no idea it would turn out to be this long running. Wow, 50 pages, 745 replies, and over 12,272 views.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread to make it such an in-depth look at what coal ranges can do, and do that with equal the efficiency of some of the top designed stoves of their day.

I know I learned a lot from all this. It has made mine and Melissa's appreciation for this wonderful gift that she bought me nine years ago, plus all our Cookin' with coal, so much better.

Paul, congratulations on reaching 50 pages! I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread very much and have learned a lot from here. It has become a daily ritual for me to come check it out to see if there are any new posts. When there were not and the thread kept moving further down the list, I would try to think of something to post to keep it alive. While I only cooked with coal in January & February this year, I do still cook on the stove with wood. I liked the sharing of recipe's and tips on cleaning etc. I hope this thread continues to grow and be viable for quite some time to come. Thanks again for starting this thread Paul.

Randy

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. May. 16, 2014 2:48 pm

Thanks guys.

Randy,

With the range shut down for the summer, I hope to keep this thread alive with reports of some range restoration and off-season maintenance work.

When I got my range the oven door "kicker" pedal was missing. Going by how many ranges I see without them, they must break rather easily. The pedal is not a necessity, but it would be nice to have at times when both hands are full of a heavy casserole dish, or roasting pan.

While we were at Wilson's he found pieces of two broken pedals for me. Both were broken at a narrow area just below the pivot point. Luckily, each had enough material left that I could cut them so they'd be a bit longer than original and I could also change the angle.

Originally, the foot pad part of the pedal is near the nickel plated front edge of the oven door shelf. At least too near for my likes. The few pictures I've seen of Glenwood ranges with oven pedals looks to me like it would risk shoe scrapes on the plating. So, I cut the two pieces long, so that when welded together, the pedal will extend down lower.

Plus, I can change the angle that the pedal comes out and down at, That will also help to move it farther away from the shelf.

That increase in angle downward also makes it so that, once the oven door opens, the pedal travel will be stopped by contacting the range base directly behind the shoe pad area. Originally the lever arm at the top of the pedal, that sticks up through the shelf so it can push the door outward, was stopped by hitting the shelf . I think that by being stopped above the pivot point instead of below, with a bit of excessive foot pressure leverage out at the bottom edge, is why they snap where they are weakest - just below the pivot point.

Now, with the parts fitted and ready for cleaning and welding, one more bit of progress toward making the range that much better at cooking with.

Paul

Attachments

DSCN4330.JPG
.JPG | 234.7KB | DSCN4330.JPG
DSCN4329.JPG
.JPG | 229.1KB | DSCN4329.JPG
DSCN4331.JPG
.JPG | 227.2KB | DSCN4331.JPG
DSCN4332.JPG
.JPG | 217.2KB | DSCN4332.JPG

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's

Post by Photog200 » Fri. May. 16, 2014 5:27 pm

I rarely use my kicker, I always forget it is there! Glad to see you are working toward improving the stove this summer...every improvement makes it more enjoyable. I have also made some improvements to my stove. I think I already told you about the new stove pipe but I will post the photos here for others to see too. I bought a cast iron oval to round adapter from Chubby Stove Co. and it fit perfectly on my stove pipe. I then replaced the elbow with a clean out "T" so as to make clean out easier and won't have to tear the stove pipe apart. I look forward to hearing more about the Glenwood restoration!

Today was a rainy day and could not do much outside so I decided to can some beef today. Seven quarts done and cooling now. Of course it was with wood, not coal but I still gave the old girl a workout.

Randy

Attachments

Stove pipe.jpg
.JPG | 376.4KB | Stove pipe.jpg

wilsons woodstoves

Post by wilsons woodstoves » Fri. May. 16, 2014 5:44 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:Thanks guys.

Paul I think the oven pedal gets broken more from lifting stove off base and setting on the floor,I always get a 5 gal bucket or a milk crate to set on . or just take the pedal off.
Randy,

With the range shut down for the summer, I hope to keep this thread alive with reports of some range restoration and off-season maintenance work.

When I got my range the oven door "kicker" pedal was missing. Going by how many ranges I see without them, they must break rather easily. The pedal is not a necessity, but it would be nice to have at times when both hands are full of a heavy casserole dish, or roasting pan.

While we were at Wilson's he found pieces of two broken pedals for me. Both were broken at a narrow area just below the pivot point. Luckily, each had enough material left that I could cut them so they'd be a bit longer than original and I could also change the angle.

Originally, the foot pad part of the pedal is near the nickel plated front edge of the oven door shelf. At least too near for my likes. The few pictures I've seen of Glenwood ranges with oven pedals looks to me like it would risk shoe scrapes on the plating. So, I cut the two pieces long, so that when welded together, the pedal will extend down lower.

Plus, I can change the angle that the pedal comes out and down at, That will also help to move it farther away from the shelf.

That increase in angle downward also makes it so that, once the oven door opens, the pedal travel will be stopped by contacting the range base directly behind the shoe pad area. Originally the lever arm at the top of the pedal, that sticks up through the shelf so it can push the door outward, was stopped by hitting the shelf . I think that by being stopped above the pivot point instead of below, with a bit of excessive foot pressure leverage out at the bottom edge, is why they snap where they are weakest - just below the pivot point.

Now, with the parts fitted and ready for cleaning and welding, one more bit of progress toward making the range that much better at cooking with.

Paul

wilsons woodstoves

Post by wilsons woodstoves » Fri. May. 16, 2014 5:48 pm

Nice hook up Randy Im using the tee clenout more often these days save a big mess doesn't it . Paul Im not sure how I got that reply on your page sorry bout that..Wilson

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Fri. May. 16, 2014 6:09 pm

wilsons woodstoves wrote:Nice hook up Randy Im using the tee clenout more often these days save a big mess doesn't it . Paul Im not sure how I got that reply on your page sorry bout that..Wilson
I think it is going to make a big difference in cleanout. I just put it together so I have not had to use it yet for cleanout. Wilson, I am going to send you a PM, I am looking for a few parts and Paul suggested I contact you.
Randy

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 17, 2014 8:20 am

I debated about replacing the stove pipe, but since It's been through 9 seasons now, and after seeing the cleanout tees that Randy has, replacing the stove pipe is one more item on the project list.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 17, 2014 8:25 am

Wilson - no problem, I've gotten my posts mixed in when quoting too. Glad to see I'm not the only one that has that ability. :D

By the way, this oven door kicker pedal discussion reminded me of that other Glenwood range of yours in the house with the "patent shelf" - the adjustable oven door shelf.

I didn't get pictures of it, but it's an interesting feature. Can you post pictures of how it works ?

Paul

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Sat. May. 17, 2014 9:01 am

Sunny Boy wrote:Wilson - no problem, I've gotten my posts mixed in when quoting too. Glad to see I'm not the only one that has that ability. :D

By the way, this oven door kicker pedal discussion reminded me of that other Glenwood range of yours in the house with the "patent shelf" - the adjustable oven door shelf.

I didn't get pictures of it, but it's an interesting feature. Can you post pictures of how it works ?

Paul

I saw an interesting Clarion stove the other day, the oven door had a second, smaller door that opened so you did not have to let as much heat out. The nickel plated piece on the door was the second door. I had never seen that on any other stove. Here is a link to it http://www.antiquecookstove.com/inventory-popup.a ... &trk=FALSE

Randy

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 17, 2014 9:13 am

Neat idea and a beautiful range. I'm a Glenwood fan, but those Clarions are some of best looking stoves of their day.

I noticed that listing says the range is a 1904 model, but it has many design elements from the later 1800's. Interesting mix.

I also noticed something else. The right end of the oven door shelf has a loop cast in it and the right bottom corner of the oven door has a pin that extends down into that loop.

I think that shelf may work similar to the Glenwood's "patent shelf" that I asked Wilson to show pictures of in my post above. I wonder if it's a feature for holding the oven door open slightly to let some heat out like the Glenwood's shelf can ?

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 17, 2014 10:08 am

Bryant Stove shows pictures on their website of more ranges with a similar oven shelf right end loop and door pin arrangement.

Here's one picture of an Atlantic range showing the pin at the right end of the loop and the left end of the shelf past the door edge.
http://www.bryantstove.com/Ideal%20Atlantic%20lg.jpg

Here's another Atlantic with the pin at the left end and the shelf left edge more in line with the door edge.
http://www.bryantstove.com/Home%20Atlantic%20lg.jpg

That leads me to believe those ranges also had the feature of a shelf that could be moved right, or left, to hold the oven door slightly open.

Paul

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. May. 17, 2014 10:21 am

For those of you burning coal in your cook-stoves, are you burning anthracite or bituminous?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”