Cookin' With Coal

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Dec. 14, 2016 9:55 pm

OK Paul, ......I finally got to unload the trailer this week to prove the Floyd Wells & Co. Bengal cook stove does really exist. :D

Now, finding the time to work on it now that I'm retired is another story ! :D

Paulie

Attachments

20161209_102823.jpg
.JPG | 108.7KB | 20161209_102823.jpg
20161209_103636.jpg
.JPG | 90.3KB | 20161209_103636.jpg
20161209_103913.jpg
.JPG | 57.6KB | 20161209_103913.jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Dec. 14, 2016 10:59 pm

Didn't they warn you that retirement is not for wimps ? :D

Looking forward to seeing the Bengal back in operation. ;)

Paul

Pauliewog
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Dec. 14, 2016 11:40 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:Didn't they warn you that retirement is not for wimps ? :D

Looking forward to seeing the Bengal back in operation. ;)

Paul
I was warned, but I didn't believe it till now. Hopefully, I'll get to it this summer since my heart was set to have it done for Thanksgiving.

Paulie

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Dec. 15, 2016 7:19 am

Not to worry P, ya never said WHICH Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Dec. 15, 2016 10:49 am

freetown fred wrote:Not to worry P, ya never said WHICH Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Very good point my friend !! Guess I better shoot for Thanksgiving 2017 cuz I don't know how many more I got left !! :out:

Paulie

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Dec. 15, 2016 12:39 pm

In that case, make it 2020. The Creator has one hell of a sense of humor!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Dec. 15, 2016 2:54 pm

freetown fred wrote:In that case, make it 2020. The Creator has one hell of a sense of humor!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Ya got yourself a deal Fred....... Thanksgiving 2020 deadline. Now I stand a pretty good chance of finishing her on schedule !! :rofl: :clap: toothy

Paulie

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 16, 2016 10:58 am

Cooking breakfast with it 12 below zero outside, and a balmy 75F in the kitchen. :)

With such biter cold causing a very strong draft, I thought it would be a good time to experiment with letting more heat out of the range and see what that does to stack temps. Many of you with ranges know that propping the oven door open helps get more heat out of the range. But, ranges that also have a water reservoir are kinda rare.

For those without the adjustable oven door shelf like Kevin's Glenwood Model E has, that slides to hold the door open at any angle you choose, here's a picture below of the antique way to hold it. A small sad iron makes a very nice weight for that. With the door open part way to let out some of that heat before it gets to the chimney, that lowered the stack skin temp about 10F.

After that test, I closed the oven door and let it all come back up to temp. Then I tried leaving just the water reservoir tank lid open . Using the IR gun, when I first opened it, the inside surfaces of the tank were 380F (I don't use it for water heating). Just leaving the lid open lowered the stack skin temp 15 F.

Then I tried propping the oven door open again while the water tank lid was still open. That only dropped the pipe temp an additional 6 F.

So it looks like leaving the water tank open is better at heat extraction than the oven. The water tank is all copper and large enough to hold 4.5 gallons of water. All that copper is surrounded on all four sides and the bottom by hot flue gases. It is a really good, fast way to transfer heat out of those gases. So it would seem, even better than the much larger oven.

While all this was going on, I had my helper checking temps under the oven, too. Going by the relaxed position, the cat thought it was good.

Paul

Attachments

DSCN3004.JPG
.JPG | 102.2KB | DSCN3004.JPG
DSCN3008.JPG
.JPG | 111.5KB | DSCN3008.JPG
DSCN3005.JPG
.JPG | 102.2KB | DSCN3005.JPG

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Fri. Dec. 16, 2016 5:28 pm

Paul, With the water tank lid open, we're you still able to hold your temperature in the oven?

Paulie

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Dec. 16, 2016 7:45 pm

Paulie,

Yes, within a few degrees, if the oven door is closed.

The oven keeps the heat because the entire left side of the oven forms the wall that separates it from the firebox and the ash pan drawer. Plus, the hot flue gases from the firebox must pass over the top of the oven and partway down the right side before only some of it is diverted into the water tank reservoir area. As the still flue hot gas leaves the reservoir it then goes up and over the right rear corner of the oven to the stove collar.

With the reservoir damper doors open, about 1/3 of the flue gas can still bypass the damper doors and keep on through the flus under of the oven to continue to heat it.

However, with the water tank lid open, it had less affect on the stack temp as the day warmed up and the strength of the draft diminished.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Dec. 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Melissa found a good sale on steak and we wanted to do some grilling. But being in the single digits, it was too cold over the weekend to use the gas grill.

So, we got to do some more experimenting with grilling on the range. Some of you may remember back in this thread that by removing one of the round covers of the firebox, placing a grill over that opening and then a frying pan over that, all the grease drips into the fire and the smoke gets drawn up the chimney. Using a frying pan to cover the food, not only reduces chances of cooking smoke in the house, it helps reduce large amounts of cooler room air bring pulled in around the food and stalling the draft.

However, the first few times I tried it, the coal level was up to the top of the firebox which made it too close to the food. Even with turning the food over often, it still burned long before it could cook inside.

So this time, I let the coal all burn to embers and then pushed about half the depth of embers to the back end of the firebox to lower the level at the front end.

Then I took some ashes and sprinkled them over the remaining embers just at the front half of the firebox. That was to help shield and lower the heat so the food wouldn't cook too quickly. It also helped slow the air passage through the thinner layer of coals so that they wouldn't burn faster and therefore hotter. It worked very well for lowering and steading the heat so that we could do both quick-cooked steak and longer cooking hamburgers.

Enjoy.

Paul

Attachments

DSCN3043.JPG
.JPG | 105.8KB | DSCN3043.JPG
DSCN3048.JPG
.JPG | 163.2KB | DSCN3048.JPG
DSCN3042.JPG
.JPG | 131.2KB | DSCN3042.JPG
DSCN3045.JPG
.JPG | 106KB | DSCN3045.JPG
DSCN3046.JPG
.JPG | 106.5KB | DSCN3046.JPG

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Wed. Dec. 21, 2016 3:28 pm

WOW! That looks mouthwatering Paul! Wish I could do that on my KA-6. :D

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 22, 2016 2:04 pm

johnjoseph wrote:WOW! That looks mouthwatering Paul! Wish I could do that on my KA-6. :D
Ummm,..... do ya have a drill and a Sawzall with a metal cutting blade ? :D

Paul

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Thu. Dec. 22, 2016 4:47 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
johnjoseph wrote:WOW! That looks mouthwatering Paul! Wish I could do that on my KA-6. :D
Ummm,..... do ya have a drill and a Sawzall with a metal cutting blade ? :D

Paul
:rofl: :doh:

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Fri. Dec. 23, 2016 10:04 am

Lookin' mighty tasty! The cook stove would be great for sous vide because you can slide right to get the perfect temperature. I been doing a lot of venison ribs. They need 140 degrees for 24 hr to be fall off the bone tender.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”