Cookin' With Coal

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Oct. 26, 2019 9:25 am

And this is the same R&S Acorn range shown in the previous post,... and the little girl who grew up, bought me the Sunny Glenwood, and got me interested in Cookin' With Coal !

Paul

Attachments

DSCN8434.JPG
.JPG | 189.7KB | DSCN8434.JPG

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Sat. Oct. 26, 2019 10:01 am

They need to put a like button on this forum webpage. :) That's a great picture Sunnyboy.. thanks for sharing.

jedneck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DSM Antramax
Baseburners & Antiques: Florin 20-12, red cross oak double heater, 3 columbians a epoch, emblem and palace
Coal Size/Type: nut or stove
Other Heating: Southbend Banner range

Post by jedneck » Sat. Oct. 26, 2019 8:06 pm

I joined the grillin with coal crowd. Verdict is still out. Waitin on taste test but don’t see any issues.

If anybody wondering it a 22oz hanger steak.

Attachments

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Sat. Oct. 26, 2019 9:35 pm

I’ll have to go dig through my collection, but I have a range that was plumbed like that from the factory.
Dana

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Oct. 26, 2019 10:52 pm

I'd love to see pix of a range water front in place. I've only seen some rare pix of them out of the firebox.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Oct. 26, 2019 10:55 pm

jedneck wrote:
Sat. Oct. 26, 2019 8:06 pm
I joined the grillin with coal crowd. Verdict is still out. Waitin on taste test but don’t see any issues.

If anybody wondering it a 22oz hanger steak.
Welcome to the club of indoor BBQ. :D I hope it turned out as good as it looks ! :yes:

Paul

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Sun. Oct. 27, 2019 6:08 pm

Made some of my grams pumpkin pie in the range on this cold wet day

Attachments

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Thu. Nov. 14, 2019 5:03 pm

Well now that we have had some decent cold temps I am quite pleased with the tightness of the grand, I can idle it down so it looks as if it’s out, all dark around the edges and not really making any heat and within 5 minutes I have have it roaring, however the dock ash grates do work and maybe slightly better than the Crawford style but neither as well as the glenwood triangular grates.
This summer or maybe even winter if I have time I think I am going to make a Frankenstein grate pattern, use a Atlantic stub shaft grafted onto a glenwood grate bar so I can still use the appropriate gears, shaker and frame but have the ease of the triangular bars.
Dana

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Nov. 14, 2019 5:35 pm

The triangular ones sure do make a difference. I think your grafting ones together will be well worth the effort, because they do a wonderful job of clearing tough ash.

As I'm sure you know, finding a good set of triangular grates for most ranges is not easy. If they were more common, I'd have replaced mine long ago. And I looked for many years. But none of the stove shops had the right lengths for my range, so I finally had to give up looking and make new ones from mine.

I was lucky to have the longer axle bar be the one that was still straight. I built that one up with Bondo and high-build epoxy primer to compensate for wear and casting shrinkage. Sent it to Tomahawk to have several cast. Then, I only had to saw off some of the axle length of one to make the second bar of the pair. Now into their fifth season of running hard 9 months of the year and they still show no signs of wear or warpage.

Paul

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Thu. Nov. 14, 2019 5:45 pm

These dockash grates are like that as well, the left one sticks out of the front frame for the shaker to attach to, and the right one is behind the retainer, a glenwood home grand has a similar size firebox so hopefully I can use one of them to build my pattern and do the same thing you did by just cutting the extra off
Dana

jedneck
Baseburners & Antiques: Florin 20-12, red cross oak double heater, 3 columbians a epoch, emblem and palace

Post by jedneck » Thu. Nov. 14, 2019 7:54 pm

Im lucky. Glenwood C grates fit my columbian ranges. One already has set of dockash style from glenwood. Other with mismatched columbian grates is gettin glenwood prismatic in few days when they get here. The dock ash are nice grates but lookin foward to tryin others

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Nov. 15, 2019 9:58 am

jedneck wrote:
Thu. Nov. 14, 2019 7:54 pm
Im lucky. Glenwood C grates fit my columbian ranges. One already has set of dockash style from glenwood. Other with mismatched columbian grates is gettin glenwood prismatic in few days when they get here. The dock ash are nice grates but lookin foward to tryin others
If you think dockash are nice, you'll be wowed with the triangular grates.

The triangular give better control over how much they grind and dump. They don't take as big a bite out of the underside of the firebed when you daily rotate them, so less risk of dumping unburnt coal.

Plus, with having three sides instead of just two to share the stress and wear, that means they last longer.

And, having two sides always extending down into the incoming cooler primary air, they do a better job of shedding heat and better preheating of the incoming air. That's twice as much surface area as is up against the firebed. So, you can run the range hotter when needed by having less ash on the grates because they can take higher firebed temps without warping like the flat bar types.

I've used other types of grates and I'm glad all my stoves have the triangular.

Paul

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Sun. Nov. 17, 2019 1:32 pm

Just went and picked up this little gem,
1870s union stove works Anita, small 18x18x24” but fully functional, from what I have read these were sold to wealthy parents for their daughters “easy bake oven of the 1800s” and to transients who were always on the move.
I know they came with wood and coal grates this one has a stationary wood grate in it, hopefully I can find another one with coal grates even just to barrow so I can have new ones made

Attachments

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Tue. Nov. 19, 2019 7:41 pm

In the past with my grams little fairy I’ve only gotten 12 to maybe 16 hours if I was lucky and then struggled to save the fire.

With this grand I started the season like I always did with the fairy rotating the grates and shaking when I get up in the morning and go to bed at night, however o kept getting jams which I contributed to the Kimmels coal I’ve been using up, for the hell of it Sunday I decided To see how long it would go, Monday morning still going strong so I added a little to the top and went to work came home and expected a cold house, nope! Still running strong, I opened it up a bit to cook dinner and didn’t touch it again till I went to bed, then I turned the grates like nothing was touching them, Gave it a quick shake and topped it off, for 3 days now I have been tending this range at 24 hour intervals and have been using 1 hod a day.
Has anyone else been able to get these kind of tending times with these small fire boxes??

jedneck

Post by jedneck » Tue. Nov. 19, 2019 8:17 pm

I get 14-15 hr burns on range at shop. Easily brought to life n perkin coffe in few minutes. Had southbend banner that before fixed air bypassin fire got a savable 32hr burn but took loooooonnnnggg time. All my fire boxes are right about same size as a glenwood C. Actually use glenwood grates in the columbian ranges

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”