Ash Can Modification

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Mon. Nov. 18, 2013 8:56 pm

lsayre wrote:I've always had what may amount to an unfounded concern that an ash tub will emit CO if left out to cool within the confines of the house. Should I have this concern? It sure would be nice to let a few ash tubs sit around until the weekend.
No combustion - no CO....

dj

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Mon. Nov. 18, 2013 9:02 pm

I've thought about that too. With a stoker working PROPERLY, there shouldn't be any live coals in the ash bin,...HOWEVER,...
I guess better safe than sorry. I empty my ash tub every day whether it's full or not. Hold over habit from my hand fired days. I'm down to check the boiler at least morning and night. Only takes a minute to pull the tub, carry it 10 feet out the door and dump into a metal trash can with locking lid. Dump the can when it's about 3/4 full

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Nov. 19, 2013 3:22 am

lsayre wrote:I've always had what may amount to an unfounded concern that an ash tub will emit CO if left out to cool within the confines of the house. Should I have this concern? It sure would be nice to let a few ash tubs sit around until the weekend.
I would think the ash tubs are safe along as they are covered. Any smoldering ash would quickly go extinguished due to lack of oxygen in a covered ash can.. But, just to be safe, mount a CO detector in the same room and see if you get any readings. My basement isn't very tight. I don't think CO from my ash tub is a concern, although its crossed my mind too :D

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Nov. 19, 2013 5:32 am

Unless your boiler is spitting out still-burning coal, this should not be an issue. My ash tubs sit right in front of a CO detector, it has never registered anything from a fresh tub of ashes.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Tue. Nov. 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Unless your boiler is spitting out still-burning coal, this should not be an issue. My ash tubs sit right in front of a CO detector, it has never registered anything from a fresh tub of ashes.
Great to know. I think I'll get a couple more ash tubs and start doing as Rob does.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Nov. 19, 2013 2:02 pm

During cold temps and heavy burning, I need to muscle out the ash can about once a week. So far this year, I've emptied in once but will empty it again tomorrow :D

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Rob R. wrote:
This morning I swapped out ash tubs, and sat my full tub right under a CO detector. Hours later the detector read zero and showed no history of having had any rise from zero in-between.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 6:27 pm

And that's all there is to say about that. :yes:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”